tormach limitation, or am I doing something wrong? - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: tormach limitation, or am I doing something wrong?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: tormach limitation, or am I doing something wrong?

FWIW,
    I bought the 3/4" Shank Haimer and ran directly in the R8 collet (no toolholder) with no issues staying within a few tenths . It was also nice to have the shorter gauge length.

Downloads
    Uploads

Are you tightening the drawbar when using the Haimer? Do you need to tap the drawbar to release it?
    Step

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by TurboStep View Post
    Are you tightening the drawbar when using the Haimer? Do you need to tap the drawbar to release it?
    Step
    I do tighten the drawbar, but not so tight that I need to tap the drawbar to release the haimer out of the spindle.

Did you put a collar on it so you could use it for height offset as well?

Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by TurboStep View Post
    Step
    I had pdb, so it was tightened like any tool holder.
    Shouldn't need to tap it if the r8 collet is lubed on the outside taper.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Bob La Londe View Post
    Did you put a collar on it so you could use it for height offset as well?
    No need for a collar, just the Haimer. Height was set on the tts granite block just like all tools.

Downloads
    Uploads

I think that his question was in relation to your usage of the Haimer to set Z-height of your stock. In my experience a tool with a 3/4-inch shank and flat top for the tool will vary slightly in Z location since the top of the tool rests on the R8 collet rather than on the spindle nose. I once tried to use a facemill with no TTS recess on the top. I eventually determined that the variation in tool length was of a result of how tightly the collet closed.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Snecx View Post
    I had this problem with Haimer and the TTS holder for it. The concentricity of the tip always go off by +/-0.01mm after a while, but not immediate like yours did.

Unfortunately I don't have good news for you as I have pretty much given up on my Haimer. I use the Hallmark ITTP now and that has been a great piece of equipment.

I hope you will find a solution for your Haimer soon.
    If your Haimer is off by .01mm, I wouldn’t even be concerned. That’s only .00039 inches. That’s less than half a thousandth of an inch. The machines aren’t even that accurate. If you need better accuracy than that, you probably bought the wrong machine.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey everyone

I recieved some goodies in the mail today. I got the new tool holder, but I also recieved a new generation model haimer and tool holder for that I purchased.

I quickly went straight to calibrating the new generation model.... once calibrated, I took out of the spindle, put back in, and wouldn't you know it it repeats as it should!!!

I did this probably 20 times to make sure I hadn't lost my mind. It repeated every time!!

I WOULD LIKE TO THANK ALL OF YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO TRY AND HELP ME, ITS GREATLY APPRECIATED!

I guess I had just got a bunk haimer?!? But my new generation model works...and so now I am happy!

Downloads
    Uploads

Awesome! The fun begins, I think you will find your Hamier a handy very precise tool. Quick tip the dial always turns clockwise moving into the probe tip. I keep that in mind and rarely break tips. After reading some posts here and doing some checking I decided to order a new 0.0001 indicator so I can get as fussy as everyone else. I spent an hour today aligning a 3 jaw chuck on my 4th axis. Fixtures and tools require a fair amount of time just to setup and use and or change out . And every little thing comes back to bite you somewhere big or small so it pays to check everything often. .

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123