spindle start issue on pnc 1100

Thread: spindle start issue on pnc 1100

Downloads
    Uploads

Default spindle start issue on pnc 1100

I've had a few occasions where the spindle wouldn't start in either auto or manual. Turned off the spindle key and restarted the spindle drive and ok. Tormach said check the braking resistor. It checked out ok.

New problem tonight. Spindle only runs about 200 in auto. Manually starting it seems to be right with the pot scale.
    Tried resetting the drive several times but still only runs slow in auto, either program control or with pathpilot control.

Anyone else run into this issue? I'm not sure if it is the drive or software. Last updated when it was issued, not recently.

Too late to get an answer from Tormach.

Dave

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: spindle start issue on pnc 1100

I had that happen on a Series III with Mach 3 a long time back.
    Broke a carbide endmill because I was slow on the estop.
    Didn't figure out what was causing it, but shutting mill and computer down, and then starting them up again, it didn't happen again.

Downloads
    Uploads

Rebooted the computer and still slow speed in auto or starting with the mouse.

I can get by with manual start, just annoying.

Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

I have had this happen a few times, in my case it was sprutcam had the tool selected with rpm of 200. I selected the tool and forgot to set the rpm and I think default is 200.

just something to check............

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    Didn't figure out what was causing it, but shutting mill and computer down, and then starting them up again, it didn't happen again.
    Me, too. Persistent Mach3 error. Lasted across multiple re-installs, different controllers, even new machine control board. Always recovered by a hard restart, sometimes two or three. Then go for a few weeks and recur. Many hours debugging with Tormach, never found the cause, couldn't make it happen intentionally. Haven't had it happen since moving to PathPilot.

Downloads
    Uploads

Problem is the same on tool change and starting from the pathpilot screen.Tried switching to low range and no change, which is what it acts like the control is stuck in low range, except the readout in auto on the drive doesn't match the manual readings.

Sent in to Tormach, Hopefully they have a clue what to look for.

Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

Try reseating cables/connectors..........

I have also had loose connections, the chinese folks arent too good on torquing screws or electrical connectors..

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GLCarlson View Post
    Me, too. Persistent Mach3 error. Lasted across multiple re-installs, different controllers, even new machine control board. Always recovered by a hard restart, sometimes two or three. Then go for a few weeks and recur. Many hours debugging with Tormach, never found the cause, couldn't make it happen intentionally. Haven't had it happen since moving to PathPilot.

I use to get this same flakey machine operation with mach. I figured out that my machine requires the master power switch on side turned off when done for the day. To this day I still hear some sort of a click about 3 seconds after I turn that off. I mentioned this in a thread on this forum and was told that it should not make a difference, well it did and was the only way to fix the problem at that time. Tormach had me chasing my tail for days on things like gib adjustment hehe. I don't think this will help but I know it wont hurt
    Only other thing that comes to mind is the usb program key for the spindle controller. I read people with 1100 and rapid turn option must use a special usb key and change the programming before and after.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by toyshop View Post
    I've had a few occasions where the spindle wouldn't start in either auto or manual. Turned off the spindle key and restarted the spindle drive and ok. Tormach said check the braking resistor. It checked out ok.

New problem tonight. Spindle only runs about 200 in auto. Manually starting it seems to be right with the pot scale.
    Tried resetting the drive several times but still only runs slow in auto, either program control or with pathpilot control.

Anyone else run into this issue? I'm not sure if it is the drive or software. Last updated when it was issued, not recently.

Too late to get an answer from Tormach.

Dave
    You could check out some of the comments in this thread. The OP had a similar issue and the tests listed in the comments might get you a step further.
    https://www.cnczone.com/forums/torma...ml#post2031088
    Step

Last edited by TurboStep; 04-29-2019 at 02:55 PM. Reason: I thought adding the link might help :)

Downloads
    Uploads

Problem solved.

Tormach called this morning (emailed the request in Sunday and a really fast response compared to what has been said on this site.)
    Told me first to check the spindle selection and that was the problem. Some how it was switched to high speed motor vs standard.

The only thing I can think of is, I am thinking of purchasing the lathe and checked out the PP control module for the slant turn.
    Or I accidently changed it.

Anyway kudos to Tormach for fast response.

Thanks for the suggestions and I am going to check the connections as a preventive.

Dave