Making parts on Angle fixture

Thread: Making parts on Angle fixture

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Making parts on Angle fixture

Today machined 6.25" focuser parts on a 45* angle fixture mounted on mill. The center of a tooling ball is used to locate the datum for X,Y,Z axis using centering tool and height tool #1. After the center of the tooling ball is measured the X,Y,Z axis datums are calculated from the tooling ball center. Note that the part has three 0.376" precision holes. On this fixture only two of the 0.376" holes are used to located the part and one round locating pin and one diamond shaped pin is used in a quasi-kinematic way to locate each of the six sides for machining. https://www1.mcmaster.com/tooling-co...-locating-pins I designed the parts so that everything is symmetrical so that each side is rotated 120* and when the part is flipped over the other three sides are machined from the same program. The articulating arms use the same fixture/ locating pins and same program to machine them as there are only two part types: identical top and bottom plates and six identical arms

Angle fixture

Making parts on Angle fixture-img_8631webanglefixture-jpg

Finding X,Y axis tooling ball center using center finding tool

Making parts on Angle fixture-img_8632webcentertoolingball-jpg

Finding Z axis tooling ball center using height tool #1

Making parts on Angle fixture-img_8633webtool1toolingballtop-jpg

Part on angle fixture

Making parts on Angle fixture-img_8635webpartanglefixture-jpg

Similar Threads:

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Making parts on Angle fixture

Really nice setup, thanks for posting

Downloads
    Uploads

This is a nifty strategy. Can you explain or show your x,y centering setup a little more. Are you finding front edge of ball (Y) axis, then using a offset distance to ball center?

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Joe Pieczynski

How to use tooling balls

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    This is a nifty strategy. Can you explain or show your x,y centering setup a little more. Are you finding front edge of ball (Y) axis, then using a offset distance to ball center?
    I am finding the X-Y center of the tooling ball using my center finder and since the angle fixture is 45* then I find the Z -axis tooling ball center using my height tool #1

Center finder
    Making parts on Angle fixture-centerfinder-jpg

Height tool
    Making parts on Angle fixture-img_8633webtool1toolingballtop-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Making parts on Angle fixture-starretttoolno1-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for follow up post.
    Looking at your pictures in first post, it was hard to tell how you could sweep the surface of the ball to find the x-y center. The indicator holder / setup looked funny and I mostly wanted to know your process.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    Thanks for follow up post.
    Looking at your pictures in first post, it was hard to tell how you could sweep the surface of the ball to find the x-y center. The indicator holder / setup looked funny and I mostly wanted to know your process.
    Used to have a Blake type center finder. I don't like the idea of sweeping the probe under power so I built my own center finder using a Daedal ball bearing positioner with an Interapid Vertical TDI and hand sweep to find X-Y center of things i.e pins, holes or tooling balls. I made a 3/4" diameter arbor ala TTS so it fits the 3/4" R8 collet that is used with all the other TTS tools using the PDB. Also takes up much less headroom than the Blake. May look "funny" but works exceedingly well for me. Here is an older verson of the center finder using a Starrett TDI I ditched the TTS holder shown to save headroom and repeatable height was not needed. I really like using tooling balls on my fixtures to locate datum(s) as it is way faster and more accurate than picking up edges with an edge finder. Also tooling balls work really well on angle fixtures.

Making parts on Angle fixture-centertdi-jpg