Build Thread Tormach FANUC Conversion/Retrofit using a FANUC Oi.

Thread: Tormach FANUC Conversion/Retrofit using a FANUC Oi.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Tormach FANUC Conversion/Retrofit using a FANUC Oi.

A friend of mine has a old Tormach and considered doing a retrofit of the control to a FANUC Oi. So I thought I would get the ball rolling help him choose the basic parts necessary to do so.

There are two system options for this mostly for the availability of the parts, on eBay.

A02B-0309 0iM Model C
    A02B-0319 0iM Model D

If you're going the Model C route, use the A02B-0309B-B520 (as it has much cheaper parts!) and also you will need to get the FANUC A02B-0309-C001 I/O unit. The prices for the CRT/MDI unit are around $2,500 US on eBay. the I/O unit is about $500-600. Then you will just have to do is choose servos that match the requirements of the axes. It should also fit inside the Tormach enclosure nicely. Then get the cables for the installation, available from FANUC Cables And Parts and occasionally there are some to be had on eBay, since you won't be needing very long cables,

If you're going thge more expensive Oi Model D route, purchase the A02B-0319-B502 CRT/MDI unit. There is a seperate unit A02B-0319-B802. I haven't used that in builds, but it would depend on your installation. Just be sure and follow documentation. Also add the A02B-0319-C126#M Additional Operator panel if you have room in your installation. There's a bigger one C242

There really isn't a whole lot of difference between the two except for the cost and a few options. They both will allow you to use PCMCIA or CF Cards (with adapter) to save files and programs.

There's one more option, and we won't go that route, those parts arent as available and there won't be any net gain.

I have all of the required documentation for both models, if you need them contact me. They are also readily downloadable on the internet.

I am not a servo expert, but it should not be hard to calculate the required servo. Add a reply if you know which ones you would use in this application.
    You will also have to chose a Servo Amplifier, Spindle Amplfier and use a 24v DC power supply.
    It may not come with it so you will also need A02B–0236–K102 or A02B-0200-K102 lithium battery.

There are other languages available, but most are English. You will also have to chose a Servo Amplifier, Spindle Amplfier and use a 24v DC power supply.
    It may not come with it so you will also need A02B–0236–K102 or A02B-0200-K102 lithium battery.

You will also need to purchase A02B–0236–C281 and install the correct cells.

If you need servos, the manuals describes which ones to use but I would use the alpha iS servos.or the beta iS servos.

If you are looking at the Model C, The documents and manuals you should read are:

GFA-633A Oi Family Flyer
    B-64112EN/01 or GFZ-64112EN/01
    B-64113EN/01 or GFZ-64113EN/01
    B-64114EN/01 or GFZ-64114EN/01
    B-64115EN/02 or GFZ-64115EN/02
    B-64120EN/01 or GFZ-64120EN/01
    B-64124EN/01 or GFZ-64121EN/01

Be sure and download and read any of the "Related Manuals" found in that section of each manual.. There are others. if you need a specific document I will send it to you.

I have no reason to believe that this build would not work for other small CNC machines, but be prepared you may have to purchase a suitable enclosure, etc.

Furthermore the FANUC software, FANUC Ladder III will allow you to build the ladder required, unless you can obtain the ladder from a similar machine, or allow someone knowledgable to create one for you. I am conisdering developing a basic one that one could tailor to suit their needs. There are some great tutorials on ladder diagram building on YouTube as well as using FANUC or FAPT Ladder. I can also help with manual guide i.

Thanks for your attention