Floating Reamer Holder - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Floating Reamer Holder

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Floating Reamer Holder

I milled two slots with just enough radial play for +- 0.010" of float for the 1/4" SHCSs

Don

Downloads
    Uploads

Just out of curiosity, what is the reason to bore then ream as opposed to just one or the other?

Downloads
    Uploads

I bore first to be sure that I have a straight hole located in the right position. I you just ream a drilled hole, the reamer will likely follow the axis of the drilled hole which may or may not be straight or true. The reaming after boring is done to size the hole on the axis of the bored hole. The floating reamer holder is used to compensated for any runout in the system. This includes spindle bearing runout, spindle taper runout, toolholder runout and even the runout between the shank and the cutting end of the reamer.

If you ever get into chambering rifles, you will find that the difference in a good chamber (accurate rifle) and a poor chamber is a floating reamer holder.

gary

Downloads
    Uploads

So the sizing is that much better with the reamer? Naive me figured if you could bore to within .010" you could just dial it right to size and be done with it, but then I'm rarely trying to hit a hole within +/- .0005", so I wouldn't know!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by sansbury View Post
    So the sizing is that much better with the reamer? Naive me figured if you could bore to within .010" you could just dial it right to size and be done with it, but then I'm rarely trying to hit a hole within +/- .0005", so I wouldn't know!
    That's exactly why I first bored and then reamed the holes. Also I found that I needed a 0.376" hole instead of a 0.375" hole. A simple matter of using a 0.001" oversize reamer. Dialing in the bore head is not so fun.

Don

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by sansbury View Post
    If better can also be read as easier then the answer is yes. You can sneak up on a hole with a boring head and make it any size you want but it can be a bit tedious.

Gary

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12