2 14.29%
  • Made no sense

10 71.43%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: HASS vs. Tormach 1100MX

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: HASS vs. Tormach 1100MX

The TM-2P was actually top of my list for quite a while I just don't have the room currently and am unwilling to kick at least one fairly pricey vehicle out into the driveway to accommodate the foot print. I have no delusions that the Syil isn't less machine than the Haas. I did look really hard at some lightly used TM machines as well as Mini Mills. If I were looking to spool up a business they would have likely been what was purchased. This is truly a hobby for me and something to keep my hands and brain busy with post work life and not a career.

As a retired motorcycle racer that concepts of sunk costs and diminishing returns is not lost on me.

Downloads
    Uploads

Am I correct in that Haas charges like $1500 just to turn on rigid tapping in the control? I remember hearing that, but I'm not sure if it's true.

Downloads
    Uploads

My research indicates Haas plays the option game pretty well. Lots of things are optional at significant added expense. It's like dealing with the Porsche of the machining world.

Oh..you bought a car from us that's great. Oh you want the wheels to roll well that'll be an option and will cost an additional $1000 dollars. Oh you want them to roll both directions forward and backwards? Well the wheel rolling option only gets you the ability to roll forward if you'd like to roll backwards that's another $500.

It was pretty apparent that the way to get into one was on the used market with a machine someone had already eaten all the high dollar option cost on.

Last edited by Kenny Duval; 11-14-2019 at 03:11 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

I took a browse on the Haas website, they have an impressive online sales portal for a company that presumably does 99% of it's sales to company's, not consumers.

They definitely have a lot of add on stuff, and rigid tapping is on there. Whether they turn it on via the control or whether there is additional hardware needed, I do not know.

It's surprising that rigid tapping isn't standard though, because as we all know, even hobby grade machines can do it with the right hardware and software. Of course the Haas would decimate any hobby grade machine and you have to pay to play. I can understand it because of that.

I also checked out Syils, I built out sort of a dream machine, it came to $36k. Haha.

Downloads
    Uploads

As far as I know some of the stuff only requires the addition of an authentication key to activate the function. It's in the machine already for some of it.

Downloads
    Uploads

In general, my thought is "Tormach, if you're paying out of future retirement savings, and it goes in your garage. Whatever is best for your job shop, if you're doing it for a business."

I wonder how much those Mazak Integrex i100 5-axis boxes cost ... might be a better choice than a Haas, depending on what you do? And gets you a lathe, too :-D

... eBay says $150k plus for a 10 year old one. Might be an alternative to an upscale Haas, but not really an alternative for the Mini Mill or VF2.

Downloads
    Uploads

At Fabtech, Haas was only one row over and 10 booths down from Tormach. The Tormach 1100MX was listed at 28K and the Hass TM-1 was 33K. Both machines side by side, there is no comparison. Done.

Downloads
    Uploads

I think most here agree that's fair statement.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hass TM-1
    Hass is an avocado.
    Haas is a machine tool.
    Just sayin' ! :-D

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dpaish View Post
    At Fabtech, Haas was only one row over and 10 booths down from Tormach. The Tormach 1100MX was listed at 28K and the Hass TM-1 was 33K. Both machines side by side, there is no comparison. Done.
    Isn't that an 1100MX with a toolchanger and a TM-1 without a tool changer?
    You are correct. That's not a comparison.

Downloads
    Uploads

The TM-1 tool changer (TM-1P) isn't that much more.

TM-1P
    Starting Price: US$33,995
    TAPER
    AXIS
    RPM
    TOOL CAPACITY
    I'm happy with the Tormach line, as they provide a lower price point, and smaller form factor. I can't stretch to the TM1P, even if I wanted to. Then again, I probably also can't stretch to a 1100MX. Putting servos on a dovetail table seems ... well, it's an upgrade, but ...

Also: Still very triggered about the avocado based topic. Can we get a mod to change it? :-D

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234