Say it isn't so.

Thread: Say it isn't so.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Say it isn't so.

This week I've been doing cleaning, maintenance, and upgrading, so I thought this would be a great time to replace my old Chinese drill chuck with a nice new Jacobs. Wow! Now even Jacobs is made in China. Since I already have a Chinese one I guess I won't be needing a new Jacobs. I could buy a used Jacobs on ebay but I'd be buying something the other guy didn't want. Are there any good, made in USA, drill chucks out there?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Say it isn't so.

You are correct! My new Milwaukee drill and driver are made in China s well!

I have an old Milwaukee chop saw from the late 80's, it is also made in China.

I guess the fires that devastated California, has turned into a rain event now, you folks cant get a break.........

I bid on one on ebay 1/4" x 1 jt to replace one of the Tormach ones, the gearing is too hard and it broke but the chuck body where the key fits is dead soft??

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Get an Albrecht keyless on eBay instead of a Jacobs. Prices vary enormously but if you are patient you can get one for a decent price. They are not US made but they come from Germany and work beautifully. I have averaged less than $50 each for my half-dozen Albrecht chucks. Be aware that some mount on a screw rather than JT? so read the description carefully. Alternatively, instead of using a chuck mount your drills in ER16 TTS holders using cheap Chinese collets -- less Z-axis wasted and they have less TIR than any cheap chucks and in addition the price is less than a chuck plus TTS adapter..

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    Get an Albrecht keyless on eBay instead of a Jacobs. Prices vary enormously but if you are patient you can get one for a decent price. They are not US made but they come from Germany and work beautifully. I have averaged less than $50 each for my half-dozen Albrecht chucks. Be aware that some mount on a screw rather than JT? so read the description carefully. Alternatively, instead of using a chuck mount your drills in ER16 TTS holders using cheap Chinese collets -- less Z-axis wasted and they have less TIR than any cheap chucks and in addition the price is less than a chuck plus TTS adapter..

I got soured on keyless chucks because of the ones that are on the battery drills, those I usually wind up using a pair of channel locks to get them tight after some abuse. I have heard of the Albrecht chucks, just never had the opportunity to try one.
    I am sure not a big fan of the Tormach chucks as the bodies are soft and the key holes wear quickly.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

When Jacobs first moved production to China there were posts about the chucks being crap.
    I requested a new Jacobs at work. It's been a year and so far it's been good.
    Not sure if the initial runs were junk or just pissed off people about the move. Making them in China didn't make them any cheaper though.

Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

I've got about 1/2 dozen Albrecht chucks in various sizes that I use for all drilling and reaming on the mill and lathe. Things are fantastic and I've yet to have a drill slip that wasn't my own fault. And yet release easily as well, the odd time I've had to use a rubber belt clamp to release a larger (1/2 is large most of the time for me) bit that was working in steel and tightened itself more.

All were picked up at various times on ebay, just make sure they're clean and they'll work great.
    M

Downloads
    Uploads

The Chinese can make good products if the factories are managed and QC'd properly. I bought a Chinese-made Starrett micrometer several years ago and it is every bit as good in fit, finish, and function as the US-made variants.

Downloads
    Uploads

Absolutely. The Chinese make a product to a price point or to a specification. It's up to the brand to set their standards. Anyone who has watched Craftsman and other US stalwarts degrade has seen this. Old, USA stamped Craftsman tools are gone instantly from sales; the modern stuff sells by the pound for scrap. Quality Taiwanese or Chinese tools are sold by US marques, but not for outlet store prices.

I enthusiastically second Ken Strauss's comment on Albrecht chucks. I've got a few US made big Jacobs -which have been rebuilt- but for 90% of drill holding, mill or drill press, it's Albrecht.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    The Chinese can make good products if the factories are managed and QC'd properly. I bought a Chinese-made Starrett micrometer several years ago and it is every bit as good in fit, finish, and function as the US-made variants.

My chinese made Milwaukee chop saw has held up over the years,since the late 80's, its the reason I bought more Milwaukee tools.

I need to try one of those Albrecht chucks, another problem I have is that in later years my hand strength is almost nonexistent, so tightening them may be a problem for me.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

My hands also are definitely not what they used to be. You're using slightly different muscles but I find the original Jacobs chuck on my drill press requires similar effort to an Albrecht. With a Jacobs the force goes into a small key and mostly uses your thumb while the Albrecht has a comfortable sized knurled cylinder.

Downloads
    Uploads

The reason I need a new chuck is I used the Milwaukee to test the hardness of my shop's floor. The floor passed but the Milwaukee's chuck didn't make the cut. I'll save up my allowance for an Albrecht but to get me by, I found a used Sheffield that should work. BTW, I got to check out the innards of the Milwaukee chuck. What a pleasant surprise. I had no idea metal could be so thin and still, almost, hold it's shape. Some sort of mystery metal for sure.

Downloads
    Uploads

If it is for a drill you will want an Albrecht that is threaded rather than a JT? taper; the screw ones frequently sell for less. I purchased a "new in box" threaded one at a "super bargain price" on eBay because I didn't read the listing carefully!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    If it is for a drill you will want an Albrecht that is threaded rather than a JT? taper; the screw ones frequently sell for less. I purchased a "new in box" threaded one at a "super bargain price" on eBay because I didn't read the listing carefully!
    Thanks, yes I need a 1/2x20 threaded. I'll keep my eyes peeled.