Newbie Hello, just purchased used Tormach 1100 series 1 in WI

Thread: Hello, just purchased used Tormach 1100 series 1 in WI

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Hello, just purchased used Tormach 1100 series 1 in WI

Hello world, I am not a machinist by trade but I am a maker, designer and builder. I just built a heated shop and this was my first large tool purchase. I’ve been into 3d printing for a while now and am pretty familiar with fusion 360, so that will be my designing and cam software for the Tormach. I’ve been in the industrial power business for almost 2 decades, so I’ve run and been around lathes, mills and cnc’s for quite some time, but I have a lot of learning to do since it’s not my main skill set. So I think I got a good deal on this 1100 (serial number 325), got it at auction for $3050 plus fees and taxes, and it was close by, (15 miles) so I think I did good. I plan on doing some upgrades when I get around to it, I’m still finishing up shop essentials so it might be a little bit until I get to it. What are some recommendations for upgrades for this machine? Was looking at the leadshine steppers and drivers and also the new VFD for the spindle motor. I am having issues with the limit switches off the bat, I am going to try the ferrite suppressor on the parallel computer cable as per the manual and hopefully that helps. So, whatever tips, tricks or maybe a “what I would do” would be nice to share and be insightful! Thanks and I am excited to be here!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Hello, just purchased used Tormach 1100 series 1 in WI

Nice score! Call Tormach and they can guide you on upgrades...

Downloads
    Uploads

Awesome deal!

Downloads
    Uploads

At that price, you can afford to -and should- do the whole upgrade to the III. You'll have an essentially new machine as far as motion and electronics goes. Presuming the mechanicals justify that; check ways, ballscrews first. I'd replace the limit switches, too, they're 12-14 years old and may well have gotten soaked with coolant. Unless the way covers are in excellent condition, replace those too.

Other things I'd do right away: get the external fan for the spindle motor (Nitewatchman sells those). Add the fan to the electronic box if it doesn't have one. Put a tach on the spindle. Add a spindle light, too.

Buy a Haimer 3D Taster with a TTS mount. Most used tool in the rack.

If you have not, find the NYCCNC setup and checkout videos and watch all of those. You'll check spindle runout, operating temp, and tram of course.

Also: get PP (you probably got M3 with the machine). Buy from Tormach (about $100) and put onto your own computer. Add a touchscreen.

If you got an enclosure/deluxe stand, great. If not, get the deluxe stand and build an enclosure from 8020.

If you got something other than flood coolant, also great. If not, look at a fogbuster type, Trico, or similar non-flood system.

Have fun.

Downloads
    Uploads

I looked at that Hoff auction (we are on the west side of WI). It was a great deal! Good luck.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks all!

GLCarlson-

Thanks for all your info, very helpful. You are correct it is on Mach 3, and it is on the stand with the coolant tank/pump. I will verify the mechanicals first like you suggested, and then I will move forward on upgrading to series 3. I kind of stumbled upon that auction, and I was not ready for equipment yet, so it might sit idle for a little bit while I finish up the shop. I did quick level it and wire it up so I can start figuring things out before I move it to its final position. I have been watching NYCCNC and anything else I can find, I’m big fan of Lars on fusion from my additive background and he has all the cam stuff as well so I’ll start soaking up what I can. Thanks again and look forward to learning everything I can.

I contacted Tormach technical support to try and solve a VFD issue I noticed, still waiting to hear back from them. When I set spindle speed for say 2500, then I lower the speed to 2000, it will fault on the VFD board and shut the spindle off. I also had random limit switch triggers that seemed to be solved by adding a ferrite suppressor on the parallel cable from the computer.

Downloads
    Uploads

The coolant tank inside the cabinet is a pain to clean. When it sits for too long the pump freezes up and I have to spin the shaft by hand to free it up. I left out the screws that hold the pump to the tank cover and put in a couple pins to keep it from spinning. I also moved the tank outside on a small wheeled pallet I made.

Partly because of how I located it in a corner I mounted the computer on the wall above my desk. I felt this eliminated the possibility of milling vibrations from frying the hard drive and gives better cooling and access.

I also relocated the lube pump from under the chip pan where it was difficult to refill.

Definitely upgrade to PathPilot which is based on Unix vs Windows for Mach

Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

Also, another cheap upgrade is to get a SSD instead of a hard drive; this will extend the lifetime of the computer.
    Depending on how computer savvy you are, this could be a very easy upgrade (clone the old hard drive to the SSD, optionally resizing the file system depending on what size SSD you get compared to what's in there.)
    SSD drives are really cheap these days: https://amzn.to/2Dz8nxQ