RapidTurn PathPilot Y-offsets

Thread: RapidTurn PathPilot Y-offsets

Downloads
    Uploads

Default RapidTurn PathPilot Y-offsets

Anyone have any luck using the Y-offsets in PathPilot with the RapidTurn?

I'm new to the RapidTurn and I'm trying to get the Y-offset which is available in the offsets page offset table tab to change the Y-offset when I change tools. I've made a dummy program with a facing tool and a drill with a different Y-offset but whether I've got it set to manual tool change or gang tooling, the y-axis never moves. The number in the Y DRO on the main screen changes when changing tools but the axis itself never changes.

I've checked the docs but it seems like the Y offset is pretty new, just came out in one of the last PP updates. I've seen people use gang tooling with the RapidTurn so it seems like it's possible.

Anyone have any luck with this?

Similar Threads:
    -Andy B.
    http://www.birkonium.com CNC for Luthiers and Industry http://banduramaker.blogspot.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: RapidTurn PathPilot Y-offsets

Got a return call from tech support - haven't had a chance to try it yet but, he says a G0Y0 move should do what I'm after. I was testing with conversational which does not output a Y move.

Hope it works!

-Andy B.
    http://www.birkonium.com CNC for Luthiers and Industry http://banduramaker.blogspot.com

Downloads
    Uploads

I recently ran prototype parts with several tools on a gang setup and Y offsets made everything so much easier. Y offset works well, you just have to add G0Y0 after each tool change line by editing the Gcode. Conversational doesn’t output the Y move, and I’m thinking of modifying PathPilot to automatically include this.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Snecx View Post
    I recently ran prototype parts with several tools on a gang setup and Y offsets made everything so much easier. Y offset works well, you just have to add G0Y0 after each tool change line by editing the Gcode. Conversational doesn’t output the Y move, and I’m thinking of modifying PathPilot to automatically include this.
    Curious if this can be added into the post processor out of Fusion 360? I ran into the same issues the other day and just didn't have the time to figure out what was going on.

Awall - The Body Armor Dude
    CoolCNCStuff_ on Instagram - CoolCNCStuff.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by smokediver576 View Post
    Curious if this can be added into the post processor out of Fusion 360? I ran into the same issues the other day and just didn't have the time to figure out what was going on.
    I haven’t looked into Fusion 360 but I did it on PathPilot today and it worked. The file to edit is lathe_conversational.py and now my PP conversational output the right codes without needing manual Gcode editing.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Snecx View Post
    I haven’t looked into Fusion 360 but I did it on PathPilot today and it worked. The file to edit is lathe_conversational.py and now my PP conversational output the right codes without needing manual Gcode editing.
    Please post up the line you changed and the code you added/changed. Screen Shot???

Thanks for your help!!!!

Awall - The Body Armor Dude
    CoolCNCStuff_ on Instagram - CoolCNCStuff.com

Downloads
    Uploads

I suppose it's not hard, as long as you do this at your own risk.

Find the file lathe_conversational.py under the Python folder.

Look for all the lines with the codes below:
    Code:
            code.append('T %02d%02d' % (tool_number, tool_number))
    Replace with:
    Code:
            code.append('T %02d%02d G0 Y0' % (tool_number, tool_number))
    Adding G0 Y0 inline with the tool change code as shown above will be preferable to allow best compatibility with the tool change optimization code that PathPilot has.

Hope that helps!

Downloads
    Uploads

I use gang tooling with the RapidTurn, and did with the Duality Lathe before that. I started to update some of my old programs for the RapidTurn in the latest version of Pathpilot. In the past I had used a Y move for the tool changes for the gang tool holder. I just manually edited the code. For instance, in the past I would just use a G0Y.75 move to index to the next tool position and continue the program. I didn't use any pause for the tool change. However, for a while doing the program updating, I was having a problem getting programs to run, likely from not understanding how the new PP worked for Y offsets. Watch the Y DRO when you do a tool change and have y offsets entered for your tools to help understand it.

But, now, with the Y offsets for tools, the G0Y0 moves the RT to index the next tool. You don't need any pauses for tool changes once you get your program dialed in. I was using the G0Y0 and Y offsets for turning, profiling, and threading tonight.