Tormach 770 Modular Mill Surface finish

Thread: Tormach 770 Modular Mill Surface finish

Activation process legacymachining's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Tormach 770 Modular Mill Surface finish

Hi Folks,

Tormach 770, using the module 25mm endmill with tormach steel cutting inserts. I am working on dialing the program in for surface finish with poor results. I seem to have chatter maybe? it sounds ok when cutting, loud but no squealing. A-2 material, .060" DOC, .1" stepover, 1600 RPM, 18 IPM. Image attached, Thoughts?

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tormach 770 Modular Mill Surface finish-20181112_095935-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Tormach 770 Modular Mill Surface finish

Can you physically feel any of those marks? If you drag your fingernail across the workpiece, can you feel any ridges?

Tim
    Tormach 1100-3 mill, Grizzly G0709 lathe, PM935 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Downloads
    Uploads

If you want a good surface finish, you would normally do a very shallow finish cut - typically no more than 0.005-0.010 DOC". You should likely also be feeding faster on the finish cut, to compensate for chip thinning. Assuming it's a 2-insert tool, 0.01" DOC, 0.1" WOC, I'd be running ~1300 RPM, 44 IPM. Are you using coolant? If not, you really should be. If so, what kind - flood? mist?

I find I get a really nice finish on most metals using HSM techniques - narrow WOC (usually ~0.05", and high speed). I would try 0.05" WOC, 1300 RPM, 60 IPM, using a Facing operation and only climb-cutting. This should give a good finish even with your 0.06" DOC. You MUST have coolant to do this.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Activation process legacymachining's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes you can for sure feel them. Its a 3 insert cutting tool. using flood coolant. i was hoping to reduce the cycle time, but i guess it beats hand lapping. 2d adaptive toolpath, ill give a finish pass a shot. thanks guys

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by legacymachining View Post
    Yes you can for sure feel them. Its a 3 insert cutting tool. using flood coolant. i was hoping to reduce the cycle time, but i guess it beats hand lapping. 2d adaptive toolpath, ill give a finish pass a shot. thanks guys
    Adaptive is not always the best for finishing - it's really intended for fast roughing. With 3 inserts, and 0.050" WOC, you should be able to run almost 90 IPM using a constant-engagement facing toolpath, and get a lovely finish.

Regards,
    Ray L.