Power Tapping - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Power Tapping

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Power Tapping

Quote Originally Posted by Bob La Londe View Post
    You can't make a 13TPI thread with a 20TPI multi tooth thread mill.

I'm not so stupid to not understand that I can make multiple different threads with a single tooth thread mill whether it has one flute or five. .
    Wow!
    Just passing of some simple information on the fact you can make custom size threaded profiles with both types if you think about it during the design process. This hint provides great flexibility in your design results. I forget some people around here don't design anything and are all about making the same thing over and over and not interested in using their talents in creative and new ways. They are into repeating the same thing over and over.

I have both types of thread mills! 4 sizes of single point thread mills that will cover a huge range of thread profiles. I also have 2 Multi point thread mills and one of them is a 20tpi that will cut 20 thread per inch threads on a HUGE NUMBER of custom sizes.

If other readers need information on how to setup threading operations . I use the Sandvic Coromant operations handbook for mill and lathe tool operations. Explains it all of fine detail. In fact there is a lot of eye opening information on milling forces in that manual! I noticed they added thread whirling section

"https://www.sandvik.coromant.com/en-gb/knowledge/threading/Pages/default.aspx"

Last edited by mountaindew; 11-26-2018 at 08:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    Wow!
    Just passing of some simple information on the fact you can make custom size threaded profiles with both types if you think about it during the design process. This hint provides great flexibility in your design results. I forget some people around here don't design anything and are all about making the same thing over and over and not interested in using their talents in creative and new ways. They are into repeating the same thing over and over.

I have both types of thread mills! 4 sizes of single point thread mills that will cover a huge range of thread profiles. I also have 2 Multi point thread mills and one of them is a 20tpi that will cut 20 thread per inch threads on a HUGE NUMBER of custom sizes.

If other readers need information on how to setup threading operations . I use the Sandvic Coromant operations handbook for mill and lathe tool operations. Explains it all of fine detail. In fact there is a lot of eye opening information on milling forces in that manual! I noticed they added thread whirling section

"https://www.sandvik.coromant.com/en-gb/knowledge/threading/Pages/default.aspx"

Wow! Yep. Wow! "If other readers." Wow!

Go rethink and reread that and if you feel the same then yep. Wow!

IN CONTEXT: "I'm not so stupid to not understand that I can make multiple different threads with a single tooth thread mill whether it has one flute or five. Its why I took the time to comment on the difference. Its also why I said, "I mostly use thread milling for things I don't have taps for.""

You still can't cut a 13tpi thread with a 20tpi thread mill. Of course that's probably the only other part of the post you read. LOL.

Last edited by Bob La Londe; 11-26-2018 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Becasue MD needs another cup of coffee this morning.
    Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    I believe the correct term is "multi-point", not "multi-tooth". .
    commonly referred to a single or multi thread form

Downloads
    Uploads

wow, Was a response to you stating your not stupid. " never mentioned stupid " LOL …............….I know its not your first rodeo you have stated this a number times.

As I mentioned above just trying to help other readers with less experience. IMHO it nice for them to see a snip of correct code with the formulas to calculate correct feeds based on tpi and spindle speed. Did not see anyone else mention this or any reference to real world correct information. Just talk about breaking resistors and weather a drill press is faster, not much info on how to setup a Tension compression tap tool and use it correctly.
    To be clear on my experience with this tool I have 3 TC units and they have each tapped thousands of holes and I even broke a tap here and there because of the habit I stated above. "moving the feeds or speed slider" and not returning it to 100% before a t.c. tap operation.
    IMHO again very helpful information for other people with less experience then you. Then I went on to comment on how Path pilot now changes slider bar color so user can see this is not as programed and it could be a problem. Again IMHO helpful information for other people. Then I went on to mention after the subject changed to single point thread. That its fun in the design process to throw out standards books and thread anything you want in any pitch, diameter you want. Again good info if I didn't know or think of that.
    I only wish to help others get the most from the tools they have. I am also grateful for the people around here that take the time to answer a question to help others like me.

Downloads
    Uploads

wow, Was a response to you stating your not stupid. " never mentioned stupid " LOL …............….I know its not your first rodeo you have stated this a number times.

As I mentioned above just trying to help other readers with less experience. IMHO it nice for them to see a snip of correct code with the formulas to calculate correct feeds based on tpi and spindle speed. Did not see anyone else mention this or any reference to real world correct information. Just talk about breaking resistors and weather a drill press is faster, not much info on how to setup a Tension compression tap tool and use it correctly.
    To be clear on my experience with this tool I have 3 TC units and they have each tapped thousands of holes and I even broke a tap here and there because of the habit I stated above. "moving the feeds or speed slider" and not returning it to 100% before a t.c. tap operation.
    IMHO again very helpful information for other people with less experience then you. Then I went on to comment on how Path pilot now changes slider bar color so user can see this is not as programed and it could be a problem. Again IMHO helpful information for other people. Then I went on to mention after the subject changed to single point thread. That its fun in the design process to throw out standards books and thread anything you want in any pitch, diameter you want. Again good info if I didn't know or think of that.
    I only wish to help others get the most from the tools they have. I am also grateful for the people around here that take the time to answer a question to help others like me.
    Hi MD
    Just for the record I find your posts to be well intended and perfectly in order.
    Regards
    Step

Downloads
    Uploads

Indeed. I can't imagine anyone taking them otherwise. I hope that you will continue so that we can all improve our understanding and results.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by TurboStep View Post
    Hi MD
    Just for the record I find your posts to be well intended and perfectly in order.
    Regards
    Step
    I agree, MD is sure an asset with his knowledge of software.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by TurboStep View Post
    Hi MD
    Regards
    Step
    +1 - he's been very helpful to others here in the forum.

Well, one question I asked that was never answered was about tapping in high gear. I found out purely by accident. After making a TC tapper of my own design I was testing with a 10-32 tap in 6061, and forgot to change gears. Tapped perfectly fine. 10-32 in aluminum doesn't take much power though. I'll probably do some scrap metal testing in 1/4-20, 5/16-18, and 3/8-16 in 6061 with 75% thread form size holes. This is where a load meter and a real time tach might come in handy. I suppose in the testing I can use my hand held optical tach, and maybe clip an amprobe on a motor lead.

Bob La Londe

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Bob La Londe View Post
    Well, one question I asked that was never answered was about tapping in high gear. I found out purely by accident. After making a TC tapper of my own design I was testing with a 10-32 tap in 6061, and forgot to change gears. Tapped perfectly fine. 10-32 in aluminum doesn't take much power though. I'll probably do some scrap metal testing in 1/4-20, 5/16-18, and 3/8-16 in 6061 with 75% thread form size holes. This is where a load meter and a real time tach might come in handy. I suppose in the testing I can use my hand held optical tach, and maybe clip an amprobe on a motor lead.
    I’ve done 1/4-20 on my 1100 on high gear. I just increase the rpm a little to get the horsepower up enough to turn the bigger tap. Not sure if you’ll have enough horsepower in high belt to turn a 5/16 or a 3/8 tap though.

You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    I’ve done 1/4-20 on my 1100 on high gear. I just increase the rpm a little to get the horsepower up enough to turn the bigger tap. Not sure if you’ll have enough horsepower in high belt to turn a 5/16 or a 3/8 tap though.
    Thanks Steve. 10-32 and 1/4-20 are the most common sizes I tap. I even have two drill presses with tapping heads that are always loaded with those two size machine taps.

Yeah, I sure wish there was a "real" power curve chart available for the machine. It would sure make operation planning easier. Not sure I have big enough ___s to tap at 2500 rpm to be sure I was into the power band. LOL.

Bob La Londe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12