Newbie About To Buy A Tormach 1100M

Thread: About To Buy A Tormach 1100M

*Registered User* The_Wound_Channel's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default About To Buy A Tormach 1100M

Hello,

I am about to order a Tormach 1100M, I am familiar with Solidworks/Inventor but not with CAM software. I am getting this machine to make low volume gun parts/modifications to firearms as well as do some engraving on aluminum (logos/lettering). I just wanted to create an account her because I know I'm going to have questions along the way, and I also wanted to ask if anyone had any promo codes they weren't going to use.

I plan to include my work in several videos on my YouTube channel, if anything is of interest to you guys I can hopefully share that stuff here.

Thanks!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: About To Buy A Tormach 1100M

As for CAM, I recommend you look at HSM for Inventor and HSM for Solidworks. For a small shop the license for Fusion 360 is free. Fusion 360 is similar to Inventor except everything is cloud based. HSM is included with Fusion 360. The biggest reason for going with these products is that the POST files for Tormach are actively updated. https://cam.autodesk.com/hsmposts? The conversational programming comes with your mill. Conversational works great for simple machining.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Sir John View Post
    As for CAM, I recommend you look at HSM for Inventor and HSM for Solidworks. For a small shop the license for Fusion 360 is free. Fusion 360 is similar to Inventor except everything is cloud based. HSM is included with Fusion 360. The biggest reason for going with these products is that the POST files for Tormach are actively updated. https://cam.autodesk.com/hsmposts? The conversational programming comes with your mill. Conversational works great for simple machining.
    Thanks for the reply! What does conversational programming mean?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by The_Wound_Channel View Post
    Thanks for the reply! What does conversational programming mean?
    The system will ask a few questions about what you are doing and what are the dimensions, depth of cut, feed rate, tool size etc. After you input your requirements it will generate ready to use gcode. For simple drilling, facing, profiling and such it's often quicker and easier to just write the gcode yourself. As for Fusion 360, it's a great program. Although, for me, I find it's not too intuitive. There are lots of tutorial videos on YouTube though many of them just demonstrate the presenter's "awesome" proficiency while not doing much tutoring. Lars Christensen has an outstanding Fusion 360 tutoring series. Watch a couple of his videos to get a feel for the program's many capabilities. As previously mentioned, Fusion's post default post processor for Tormach couldn't be easier to use and is always current. Fusion 360 will also output a file for a 3d printer slicer. I have a print job running at this moment that was created using Fusion 360.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jttoner View Post
    The system will ask a few questions about what you are doing and what are the dimensions, depth of cut, feed rate, tool size etc. After you input your requirements it will generate ready to use gcode. For simple drilling, facing, profiling and such it's often quicker and easier to just write the gcode yourself. As for Fusion 360, it's a great program. Although, for me, I find it's not too intuitive. There are lots of tutorial videos on YouTube though many of them just demonstrate the presenter's "awesome" proficiency while not doing much tutoring. Lars Christensen has an outstanding Fusion 360 tutoring series. Watch a couple of his videos to get a feel for the program's many capabilities. As previously mentioned, Fusion's post default post processor for Tormach couldn't be easier to use and is always current. Fusion 360 will also output a file for a 3d printer slicer. I have a print job running at this moment that was created using Fusion 360.
    That's great info, thank you!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Sir John View Post

I would thing for gunsmith work, you will get into 4th axis work. Can you give the OP insights into how well fusion 360 does with 4th axis? Last I checked it was not very advanced yet but maybe that has changed.

Downloads
    Uploads

All I di for 4th axis is manually code the moves and insert them into the F360 gcode. Not very elegant, but it works.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I find fusion more intuitive than solid works , it is simple to connect aspects of the sketches (fundamental drawings) to the cam potion of the program. I found forth axis indexing to also be very easy compared with solidworks ; however continuous 4th is still not possible or very limited in fusion

One thing I’ve wondered about - a model railroader may be subliminally fantasizing about harmony between beautifully engineered machines and nature, or the human feat of creating shipping networks that extend further than we can see. Does a gunsmith fantasize about history, good wars , crisp civil order, and scenarios where it would become necessary to defend life? I really am curious what associations there are..

I know hunting is also a factor- a fantasy about using simple / elegantly designed tools to shorten the distance between nature and ourselves. I understand this but not the other ideas in gun smithing .. any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jmosley View Post
    I find fusion more intuitive than solid works , it is simple to connect aspects of the sketches (fundamental drawings) to the cam potion of the program. I found forth axis indexing to also be very easy compared with solidworks ; however continuous 4th is still not possible or very limited in fusion
    What have you found missing in Fusion 4th axis? I know the 4th and 5th axis support in Fusion CAM isn't as good as some, but it's certainly possible. I haven't used it myself yet so I don't know what snags there might be.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by skrubol View Post
    What have you found missing in Fusion 4th axis? I know the 4th and 5th axis support in Fusion CAM isn't as good as some, but it's certainly possible. I haven't used it myself yet so I don't know what snags there might be.
    I am milllng complex surface (polygonal or soline) forms that could take advantage of being turned in the 4th axis while roughing with an adaptive tool path or for finishing. The only continuous paths that I could access in fusion360 (where all 4 axises are moving ) is for tracing paths that are found in the construction of the model , such as engraving a path on a cylinder .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk