Now I Know Why

Thread: Now I Know Why

Default Now I Know Why

I'd heard a couple people complain about the size of the coolant tank on 1100. I just didn't get it. Its bigger than the coolant tanks (a little) on my other 4 machines with flood coolant. I can run them all day and sometimes a second day depending on details. If I top them off every day my only real issue is clogging from fines. If I clean and scoop fines from the tanks once a week that's not an issue either.

Well up until yesterday I was using the 1100 for rough work where blowing chips clear wasn't an issue. A little light cutting oil applied with a brush did just fine. I finally set up a 3D couple hour job with some modestly deep pockets and decided a blast of flood coolant was necessary. After dumping 4 gallons of coolant mix into the tank I turned on the pump so I could see how my nozzle setup would work. Nothing came out. Ok, that's one way to reduce chip clogging from fines. LOL. Suspend the pump in the middle of the tank. It finally started picking up coolant partway through the fifth gallon. Sure its about a 7.4 gallon tank (measured and converted CI to gallons), but only about 3 gallons is above the pick up level. That's if its filled right to the cover.

Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Now I Know Why

Quote Originally Posted by Bob La Londe View Post
    I'd heard a couple people complain about the size of the coolant tank on 1100. I just didn't get it. Its bigger than the coolant tanks (a little) on my other 4 machines with flood coolant. I can run them all day and sometimes a second day depending on details. If I top them off every day my only real issue is clogging from fines. If I clean and scoop fines from the tanks once a week that's not an issue either.

Well up until yesterday I was using the 1100 for rough work where blowing chips clear wasn't an issue. A little light cutting oil applied with a brush did just fine. I finally set up a 3D couple hour job with some modestly deep pockets and decided a blast of flood coolant was necessary. After dumping 4 gallons of coolant mix into the tank I turned on the pump so I could see how my nozzle setup would work. Nothing came out. Ok, that's one way to reduce chip clogging from fines. LOL. Suspend the pump in the middle of the tank. It finally started picking up coolant partway through the fifth gallon. Sure its about a 7.4 gallon tank (measured and converted CI to gallons), but only about 3 gallons is above the pick up level. That's if its filled right to the cover.
    The pump needs the level over the pump to pickup suction, just the nature of that pump I guess, also there is a baffle in the tank, I guess to keep fines from getting to the pump as easily, also the coolant when running it wide open will pump the table full and the top of the stand.

The gist of the story is the tank needs to be full to work well.

Edit: I think you will also find that the pump leaves a bit to be desired too........many of the guys go to a sump pump of 1/4 to 1/2 hp variety.
    The factory one works for the most part but it needs more pressure to blow the chips out of cavites better.
    I also replaced the aluminum screen with a finer stainless steel one from ebay,as the coolant ate holes in the original one.

mike sr

I use a similar style centrifugal pump in all my other tanks. The big deal for me was two nozzles at 90 degrees to each other so one is always in the right direction. With the ATC I may find myself wanting 3 or 4 nozzles so I can have them at different levels for different length tools. I can see some reasons why the table doesn't drain as well as it should. One is the chip filter basket setting in from the top and creating a small dam and a place for chip dams to build up.

Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Bob La Londe View Post
    I use a similar style centrifugal pump in all my other tanks. The big deal for me was two nozzles at 90 degrees to each other so one is always in the right direction. With the ATC I may find myself wanting 3 or 4 nozzles so I can have them at different levels for different length tools. I can see some reasons why the table doesn't drain as well as it should. One is the chip filter basket setting in from the top and creating a small dam and a place for chip dams to build up.
    I use screens in the drain troughs, this helps considerably with the chips plugging the drains, and oak strips in the T slots, helps with cleanup, backsplash keeps the chips off the Y bellows.
    I also use a raise/lower spindle shield that keeps 95% of the chips on the table.

I dont really have a problem with the trough screens plugging up with the additions of the screens, I dont remember what mesh it is but it is much finer than the factory screen in the stand.

Now I Know Why-img_7954-jpgNow I Know Why-img_7955-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Now I Know Why-img_7954-jpg   Now I Know Why-img_7955-jpg  
    mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Oak may not be the best choice, it tends to be corrosive to steel. Soaking it in oil first may help. Greased oak does make good bearings in old farm equipment though.

Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by toyshop View Post
    Oak may not be the best choice, it tends to be corrosive to steel. Soaking it in oil first may help. Greased oak does make good bearings in old farm equipment though.

Dave
    You are right Dave, I use oil for flood coolant, no water, just a thing with me about water and machine surfaces..........
    They do sell tee slot covers, I just like these as they are flush and I can cut them up to fit if need be.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

I have custom made 15 gallon tanks on both machines, they are shorter so the pump can use more of the volume, and are L shaped and yes I had to take off the coolant door. I've posted pics of them on here in the past. Not sure if I have them anymore since P_Bucket hung us out to dry.

RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use. It never ends.
    PCNC1100 Series II, w/S3 upgrade, PDB, ATC & 4th's, PCNC1100 Series II, ATC, 4th