G84 tapping glitch??! - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: G84 tapping glitch??!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: G84 tapping glitch??!

My programs are massive so I'll use an m98 or more to skip through the program on pathpilot as well as mach , and the control will skip over anything in between . If you pick a start point on a hass then the control likes to read all the code before that point . It's actually a good safety feature that I never had with fanuc , but it is a pita to wait for on many occasions because it can take a long time to run through the coding if there are a lot of parts and lots of sub routines . Thats a case where I'll use an m97 to skip over everything , and have to edit in the obvious needed codes if needed

Downloads
    Uploads

Gotcha! I think the CPU in the modern PathPilot is pretty fast, so it might be better at skipping quickly than a Haas?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    Gotcha! I think the CPU in the modern PathPilot is pretty fast, so it might be better at skipping quickly than a Haas?
    Would not even close to a Haas control if you are using a PC

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

There are some pretty fast PCs. What CPU does a Haas use? Have you compared the actual performance? Seeing some real world examples would be great.

Downloads
    Uploads

I no longer work on haas so I can't show what I'm talking about . As far as cpu goes , My job was to run the machines and we'd pull in repair guys to deal with keeping them running , so it's something that I honestly didn't care or feel the need to know .
    It wasn't an absolutely painful experience to wait for the control to run through the code above the chosen line , but when a guy is under the gun to get things done then watching code flash across the screen is a waste of time no matter how long it takes .
    Even though they are on the low end spectrum of professional machines , performance on a haas is pretty good provided the optional high speed machining is activate . For the most part that is in regards to surfacing and such

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    It has nothing to do with cpu . The controller is set to read all the code before it reaches the chosen line . This I assume is a safety feature that they chose to implement so that the machine knows exactly where it should have left off had it run through all of the code . It helps prevent "operator" error

Lets say for example that the code ran the rotary axis at 90 degrees up to the chosen point .I stop the machine rotate the rotary to 0 degrees or whatever to check the part . I set my start line at a particular tool change and press cycle start . The mill will read through all the code , raise the z and rotate the rotary back to the previously read position . It's a good safety feature to a certain level , but anyone who pays attention doesn't need this feature . It took a long time to get used to after many years on fanucs which wouldn't do this

Downloads
    Uploads

It has nothing to do with cpu . The controller is set to read all the code before it reaches the chosen line
    Oh, I see, the movements are the problem!

Downloads
    Uploads

i didn't say the movement is the problem . The problem is that the machine scrolls through every line of code before it reaches the set start line . A fair sized program with lots of sub routines can take 30 -40 seconds for the machine to scroll through all the code , then make the mentioned position moves . Adding a N7777 or what not at the preferred start line and an m97p7777 at the top of the program will cause the control to skip over all that code and prevent it from wanting to read it

Downloads
    Uploads

CPU performance certainly could have an impact on how fast the controller could 'simulate' a run through the code. There may be other bottlenecks though.
    I also wouldn't be surprised if Pathpilot had a faster CPU than a Haas control. Low-end commodity PC CPU's are typically several times faster than high-end industrial controller CPU's.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by metalmayhem View Post
    i didn't say the movement is the problem . The problem is that the machine scrolls through every line of code before it reaches the set start line . A fair sized program with lots of sub routines can take 30 -40 seconds for the machine to scroll through all the code , then make the mentioned position moves . Adding a N7777 or what not at the preferred start line and an m97p7777 at the top of the program will cause the control to skip over all that code and prevent it from wanting to read it
    And this is a Crash waiting to happen if you don't have a spindle start or tool change before where you want it to start, this is the whole problem with doing it this way unless you place your start in the right place you are doomed

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

A guy would have to be an idiot not to have the proper clearance calls at a start line , and not ensure that the machine positions , shifts etc aren't going to be actively safe before hitting cycle start . Thats basic knowledge , or it at least should be .

A guy needs to use common sense when machining at all times and take proper measures to ensure machine safety . In 20 years of running fanuc I never had a problem with not having that feature . This is just a feature that hass chose as a form of idiot proofing their machines .
    In my opinion it's a good feature for helping with idiot proofing in a production shop when there are button pushers involved . It's more of a hindrance in a jobbing shop where the skill level , knowledge and eye to detail is far more educated to make things work as they should . I'm sure some hass guys may disagree but thats my opinion

Hi Guys!! Sorry for the delay in replying, but I haven't been in the forum for a while.
    The mysterious "Stall" in my G84 canned cycle disappeared.
    I don't know what caused it, and I don't know how it 'Fixed' itself.

I ran another program with a G84 tapping cycle, and everything worked as it should.
    There wasn't a G98/G99 on the G84 canned cycle line, and it ran just fine without it,
    BUT...on the previous tool (drill) I did have the G98 set at Z.3
    Hmmmmmmm…?????

So I'm stumped.
    I guess there was a Gremlin in the machine that day?

I have a big plate coming, up with several tapped holes in it.
    I'll see how it works this upcoming week.
    Thanks for the replies.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12