New Guy here- I’m trying to decide on buying a 770M or go a different direction? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Guy here- I’m trying to decide on buying a 770M or go a different direction?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: New Guy here- I’m trying to decide on buying a 770M or go a different direction?

motoeng- Thanks for the link, I really appreciate the help. Sometimes, separating the wheat from the shaft can be difficult. My major concern is the machine, I’ve literally got all the time in the world for the other stuff.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: New Guy here- I’m trying to decide on buying a 770M or go a different direction?

Many people might agree with this from coffeetec: "If you want to start as hobby, find this a fun and therapeutic, then get machine (I advise against Tormach)" I've had a Tormach for 5 or 6 years and like it. First, it's not an industrial machine, but its an excellent hobby machine, unless your hobby is making parts for NASA You won't need professionals to install or move it. You won't need an electrician to re-wire your garage or basement since it runs off regular household 220 vac. If something goes wrong you'll be able to fix it yourself (lots of help available on this forum). Mine has been trouble free and no parts have needed to be replaced. Mods and/or upgrades are a cinch. I've made several mods on mine and they've worked out great. All were cheap or free. I hope to post a short video highlighting those mods.

Just some food for thought and hopefully at least a little useful.

Suddenly everyone is making or wants to make knives
    I've noticed that too.
    I've had 4 customers in the past 2 or 3 months come to me for belt-sander modifications, jigs, fixtures, etc, .. all for 'Knife Making".
    What's the fad?

Downloads
    Uploads

Anticipating a ban after the midterms?

Downloads
    Uploads

There is zero chance that knives will be banned. (And I say this as a progressive in California; this is not politics.)

I think it used to be that knife making was somewhat of a secret tradition, and cool knives have always had a collectible market.
    Now that the tools are available, and there are tons of YouTube videos, a lot of people might feel like they have a chance to get in on it.
    (The information was always available, but in much harder formats, like books, or even trade schools or apprenticeships.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12