What are you making?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What are you making?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default What are you making?

I was just watching some videos from NYC CNC and I realized, I’m not interested in his “instructional” videos, I want to see some of the cool stuff fellow Tormach owners are making.

Hopefully, these pictures show some of the parts I make for my line of hardware for remote control race boats.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What are you making?-42e6e471-5c77-4922-a87a-322fb88675d8-jpg   What are you making?-fa41dd25-277d-4f13-81c2-d8cb57508ca5-jpg   What are you making?-6494a8ae-c6d7-495d-9980-fff15fb4bef8-jpg   What are you making?-2e03f175-ae44-4966-b216-84fdd19e1465-jpg  

Last edited by Steve Seebold; 08-05-2018 at 01:05 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: What are you making?

Not on a Tormach, but I'm using the TTS system and my mill is Tormach-sized - does that count?

Below is a 3/8" blind dovetail in a USPSA open-class 2011 slide. That was a high pucker-factor cut due to the amount of work already in the slide, plus the cost of replacing it. Cut straight pocket first, then had to whittle out the dovetail as much as possible with a 3/16" carbide DT first so the HSS 3/8 cutter wouldn't snap when it hit the blind end.

What are you making?-20180803_143012-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What are you making?-20180803_143012-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

And today's CNC project. More work on a plasma table project. Simple stuff untill you model & cut the wrong D-sub size and have to figure a way to camoflage the fix. Hence the swoopy looking insert panel.

For a friend, so no issues ganking a client with shoddy work.

What are you making?-20180805_123858-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What are you making?-20180805_123858-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm always making something different - part of what I like about my job. Most of the time it's parts for proprietary production machines of my own design. The past couple weeks, it's been parts for a laser alignment tool. The laser is a Yb 30 watt Class 4 unit. I only needed to make parts for 2 tools, but made 3 just in case anything went wrong. Everything pictured is straight off the Tormach (or still in it). All of the round stuff was turned to the major OD on my old '55 Southbend 10L, then all the features finished in soft jaws in the Tormach. The flat rectangular parts on the yellow rag was cut from a 3mm sheet of 6061 using tape & glue workholding.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What are you making?-img_20180718_141457596-jpg   What are you making?-img_20180723_171659919-jpg   What are you making?-img_20180724_173419005-jpg   What are you making?-img_20180730_191430976-jpg  

What are you making?-img_20180806_131811326-jpg   What are you making?-img_20180806_131837172-jpg  

What are you making?-carb-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

1/6 scale Fw-189 (airplane) landing gear.
    What are you making?-fw-189-finished-jpg
    What are you making?-img_0349-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Always really cool to see what everyone is working on! Unfortunately away from my shop for what will be six weeks, by the time I get home.

Spinneti - landing gear looks great do you have a build thread? As am into the rc a/c as well.

Steve is the last photo a prop balancer? Fancy bit of kit

So am in the planning/ procurement stages for the next few projects when I get home, the first will be a magnetic grinder attachment that will go on a knife grinder that will be a poor mans flat grinder. Is mainly made up of Alu for the chuck and arm and O1 tool steel for the attachment pieces, the only tricky part will be O1 as have never machined this before so had order in some new tooling as mainly do Alu 6061 and 7075.

Keep up the good work guys.

Cheers,
    Adrian

Downloads
    Uploads

Can't share the plethora of client parts, but here's some personal fun stuff. (left to right) Mountain bike stem,203mm Brake caliper adapter,Hydraulic brake lever,seat post dropper assembly,derailleur hangar, seat post clamp.
    What are you making?-m-mbs-jpgWhat are you making?-m-rca-jpgWhat are you making?-m-bl-jpgWhat are you making?-m-dpl-jpgWhat are you making?-m-dh-jpgWhat are you making?-m-spl-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by al010964 View Post
    Always really cool to see what everyone is working on! Unfortunately away from my shop for what will be six weeks, by the time I get home.

Spinneti - landing gear looks great do you have a build thread? As am into the rc a/c as well.

Steve is the last photo a prop balancer? Fancy bit of kit

So am in the planning/ procurement stages for the next few projects when I get home, the first will be a magnetic grinder attachment that will go on a knife grinder that will be a poor mans flat grinder. Is mainly made up of Alu for the chuck and arm and O1 tool steel for the attachment pieces, the only tricky part will be O1 as have never machined this before so had order in some new tooling as mainly do Alu 6061 and 7075.

Keep up the good work guys.

Cheers,
    Adrian
    Yes, the last photo is a prop balanser

You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Downloads
    Uploads

I like the bike parts - last time I made some was like 92' lol.
    Adrian, thanks - I'm really into specialty parts nobody else makes rather than the whole planes, so my thing is complex WWII German landing gear... yeah, I know, odd hobby lol. I also do some race car bits. My thread is here - you might have to sign up to see it: https://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum...TID=20781&PN=1

Downloads
    Uploads

Austin,
    Very cool bike parts. I bike too but never thought of making my own components.
    Do you only have a Tormach or are you using other machines.
    -Nathan

QUOTE=AUSTINMACHINING;2205280]Can't share the plethora of client parts, but here's some personal fun stuff. (left to right) Mountain bike stem,203mm Brake caliper adapter,Hydraulic brake lever,seat post dropper assembly,derailleur hangar, seat post clamp.
    What are you making?-m-mbs-jpgWhat are you making?-m-rca-jpgWhat are you making?-m-bl-jpgWhat are you making?-m-dpl-jpgWhat are you making?-m-dh-jpgWhat are you making?-m-spl-jpg[/QUOTE]

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Spinnetti View Post
    1/6 scale Fw-189 (airplane) landing gear.
    What are you making?-fw-189-finished-jpg
    What are you making?-img_0349-jpg
    Very cool rc components. I have just got back into rc planes after a 40 year hiatus. The technology has really changed. I’m flying foamies now but really appreciate the inginuity of the scale builders.

Are you just using a Tormach?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    I was just watching some videos from NYC CNC and I realized, I’m not interested in his “instructional” videos, I want to see some of the cool stuff fellow Tormach owners are making.

Hopefully, these pictures show some of the parts I make for my line of hardware for remote control race boats.

Steve, nice parts. I want to see some photos of your new haas’

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CadRhino View Post
    Austin,
    Very cool bike parts. I bike too but never thought of making my own components.
    Do you only have a Tormach or are you using other machines.
    -Nathan

QUOTE=AUSTINMACHINING;2205280]Can't share the plethora of client parts, but here's some personal fun stuff. (left to right) Mountain bike stem,203mm Brake caliper adapter,Hydraulic brake lever,seat post dropper assembly,derailleur hangar, seat post clamp.
    What are you making?-m-mbs-jpgWhat are you making?-m-rca-jpgWhat are you making?-m-bl-jpgWhat are you making?-m-dpl-jpgWhat are you making?-m-dh-jpgWhat are you making?-m-spl-jpg
    [/QUOTE]

Thanks CadRhino,
    I Have a Novakon Torus Pro, very similar to the 1100 I think. My only machine at the moment, but I'm looking into a full blown VMC. The last couple years my Torus has been running non stop. I really need more HP. I'm leaving money on the table "so to speak", due to long roughing operations. I bought the Torus for personal projects which has been great, but I started a new Job in the Semiconductor industry 3 years ago. I made a few "emergency parts", but word got out, and the flood gates opened up when they realized they could get a 2 day turn instead of 3-4 weeks.. I've made over 1000 parts of ~ 70 different designs from Ultem to 304SS, but mostly aluminum.

BTW,
    Some of the parts our company work with are 5 Axis parts that weigh 800 lbs. After Machining. The complexity is absolutely mind blowing. (sorry I can't share) I used to think aerospace parts were complex until I saw these..

Downloads
    Uploads

Some misc. recent parts..

Arcade button/joystick plates:
    What are you making?-arcade-button-plates-jpg

Kcup Adapter for Aeropress:
    What are you making?-kcup-adapter-jpg

GoPro adapter for magbase (3D printed prototype; final in aluminim):
    What are you making?-gopro-adapter-jpg

Brass bushing/bolt with weird TPI:
    What are you making?-brass-bushing-bolt-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CadRhino View Post
    Very cool rc components. I have just got back into rc planes after a 40 year hiatus. The technology has really changed. I’m flying foamies now but really appreciate the inginuity of the scale builders.

Are you just using a Tormach?
    Thanks. Yep, Tormach, and my Grizzly 12x37 lathe that I converted to cnc/servos for a few things. I sold both now when I moved and am trying to decide on the next machine. I just visited Tormach and will probably get an 1100M, but looking at used HAAS too. I have a bunch of foamies too. I hardly fly them since moving but I do like them. I build the 1/6 scale and up gear just for the challenge and for a few big scale guys that may want them. I did some small scale gear too: 1/13 scale He-111, Me262, Zero and Fw190 for my ARFs/Foamies

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Spinnetti View Post
    Thanks. Yep, Tormach, and my Grizzly 12x37 lathe that I converted to cnc/servos for a few things. I sold both now when I moved and am trying to decide on the next machine. I just visited Tormach and will probably get an 1100M, but looking at used HAAS too. I have a bunch of foamies too. I hardly fly them since moving but I do like them. I build the 1/6 scale and up gear just for the challenge and for a few big scale guys that may want them. I did some small scale gear too: 1/13 scale He-111, Me262, Zero and Fw190 for my ARFs/Foamies
    There are quite a few guys that make hardware for models with the Tormach machines, I make some RC boat and RC car hardware, I was into RC boats in the late 60's, then again in 04, currently just making a few parts.

mike sr

Replacement gear-change handles for a friend's antique brake lathe.
    The original cast iron handles got smashed during shipping.

What are you making?-20180814_122617-1-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RussMachine View Post
    Replacement gear-change handles for a friend's antique brake lathe.
    The original cast iron handles got smashed during shipping.
    Those are beautiful. It's hard to tell where the machining ends and the hand-fitting starts. The logo is classy, too.

Downloads
    Uploads

My first parts are nameplates and brackets for my live steamers.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What are you making?-img_20180820_102707x-jpg   What are you making?-img_20180818_094848x-jpg  
    Last edited by dajt; 08-21-2018 at 06:31 AM. Reason: Trying to get rid of big images.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast