2.5-3" face/shell mill?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2.5-3" face/shell mill?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default 2.5-3" face/shell mill?

While I like the surface finish of the super fly, it problem is from being such a big interrupter cutter and when having a step over there is a waviness (doesn't catch your nail). However as you get closer to the end of the travel limits it does get worst. Been looking at 3" shell mills with 6 inserts...the thinking is if can't take heavish cut (which I know I can't) then can remove half the inserts and run it faster/deeper/etc.

what are you guys are using for these? I have a friend turning down a TTS holder for a 1" arbor for me.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 2.5-3" face/shell mill?

People run that big a cutter in TTS? I’d be afraid of it loosening in the holder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ripperj View Post
    People run that big a cutter in TTS? I’d be afraid of it loosening in the holder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    oh yea...If it pulls out, it's the operators fault. But machine boges down way before it pulls out if properly tighten

Downloads
    Uploads

I've had good results using a 63mm face mill with SEHT inserts (same as the SuperFly). There are slots for 4 inserts but with two installed it is balanced and gives a great finish. Purchased on eBay but Banggood has 63mm cutters for about cdn$33 and 50mm for about cdn$25. Search for "KM12".

Downloads
    Uploads

How did you do the arbor for it?

Downloads
    Uploads

The secret search term is "C3/4-FMB22". On eBay see 231960291842 for an example. If you are not in a rush you can get one for about $25 including shipping. I undercut the area between the 3/4-inch shank and the back face of the body of the holder to make something that looks like a TTS holder. I don't have an ATC so the lack of the groove is not a problem. On another I used a Tormach TTS collar (https://www.tormach.com/store/index....show&ref=32432).

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice, thanks. Going to order the parts today. I'm working on smallish titanium and stainless parts and I need to skim them off for professional appearance. The superfly really works like a dream in aluminum or gently in mild steel but it hates exotics. A more balanced tool is going to be a necessity or it'll just be a matter of time until I crash the superfly. Besides, I'd rather just leave it set up with the aluminum insert so it's ready to do those projects.

Love the idea of running 2 inserts and keeping the balance.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have a saved ebay search and this: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/C3-4-FMB22-A...t/163175952462 popped up today. For us$25 including shipping you get arbour + 10 inserts + head for round inserts. I have no knowledge of the seller but I suspect that they are all made in the same factory.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    I have a saved ebay search and this: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/C3-4-FMB22-A...t/163175952462 popped up today. For us$25 including shipping you get arbour + 10 inserts + head for round inserts. I have no knowledge of the seller but I suspect that they are all made in the same factory.

I checked out your link and the shipping on the listing was 179.99.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

I just checked and it shows us$24.99 and free shipping. Please see attached screen capture.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2.5-3" face/shell mill?-screen-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    I just checked and it shows us$24.99 and free shipping. Please see attached screen capture.
    I think the guy has a vendetta against US buyers ha!!

2.5-3" face/shell mill?-img_1004-copy-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2.5-3" face/shell mill?-img_1004-copy-jpg  
    mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

If you're after good finish, get a face mill with lots of inserts, and a rake, and inserts, appropriate to the specific material. Insert geometry and finish makes a HUGE difference!

I don't know where you get the idea two inserts will in any way improve balance. The more cutting edges, the better the finish. And on hard materials, you'll be running a low spindle speed, where balance is unlikely to be a significant factor at all. I have 3" and 4" face mills with 5 and 6 inserts, and they both leave a near mirror finish, and will cut as deep as spindle power allows.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    If you're after good finish, get a face mill with lots of inserts, and a rake, and inserts, appropriate to the specific material. Insert geometry and finish makes a HUGE difference!

I don't know where you get the idea two inserts will in any way improve balance. The more cutting edges, the better the finish. And on hard materials, you'll be running a low spindle speed, where balance is unlikely to be a significant factor at all. I have 3" and 4" face mills with 5 and 6 inserts, and they both leave a near mirror finish, and will cut as deep as spindle power allows.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    if you have 6 insert but only use three it allows you to cut deeper/faster while still keep the tool balanced

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Djstorm100 View Post
    if you have 6 insert but only use three it allows you to cut deeper/faster while still keep the tool balanced
    Soooo.... Fewer Cutting Edges == Higher MRR? You must be using some kind of "New Math". By that logic your SuperFly should be the highest MRR tool you own.

Each insert is capable of cutting at a given chipload, DOC and feed. Reducing the number of inserts requires decreasing feedrate proportionately, or you'll exceed the capability of the remaining inserts and start breaking them.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Soooo.... Fewer Cutting Edges == Higher MRR? You must be using some kind of "New Math". By that logic your SuperFly should be the highest MRR tool you own.

Each insert is capable of cutting at a given chipload, DOC and feed. Reducing the number of inserts requires decreasing feedrate proportionately, or you'll exceed the capability of the remaining inserts and start breaking them.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Doesn't matter the cutting edges, limitation is HP. Don't have the power to drive 6 cutting edges .100 doc on a 3" facemill. One item I product I have to take .105 off one side and 0.050 on the other. 6 insert face mill will not do that in one or two pass (maybe three) because it doesn't have the power.

This has been documented and work around for limited hp machines, like the Tormach. Might want to fully grasp the concept of why cutting the inserts in half before you start insulting people. Regarding the inserts, don't excel the manufactures specs..duh. Again been documents, with good results.

Downloads
    Uploads

Perhaps if you had mentioned power in your statement... But go twice as deep, you'll have to go half as fast, not faster, so what do you gain? MRR is a function of power, and if you're already power limited, removing inserts buys you nothing.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Perhaps if you had mentioned power in your statement... But go twice as deep, you'll have to go half as fast, not faster, so what do you gain? MRR is a function of power, and if you're already power limited, removing inserts buys you nothing.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    When isn't power a limiting function of a Tormach?

Downloads
    Uploads

When isn't power a limiting function of a Tormach?
    So, why don't you address the question? If you are already power-limited, how does removing inserts improve MRR? Answer: It doesn't. 5-6 inserts will give you the same MRR, hence the same machining time, and more inserts will generally give a better surface finish, and longer insert life. Removing inserts, rather than "allows you to cut deeper/faster", allows nothing of the sort. You can go deeper and slower, or shallower and faster, since, as you just said, or some combination of the two, but you CANNOT increase MRR, since you are ALWAYS power-limited. We're right back to my original point - removing inserts buys you nothing of value.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

If you're too power limited, you end up with too thin a chip load and you're rubbing as much as cutting. Leaves a great finish sometimes (burnished,) but terrible for insert life and decreases MRR/HP.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Regards,
    Ray L.
    so what face mill do you use?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast