440 enclosure questions

Thread: 440 enclosure questions

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default 440 enclosure questions

Anyone have a 440 with an enclosure? Thinking about ordering a 440 but after watching vids on YouTube, I’m thinking the enclosure leaks at the bottom of the doors. I emailed Tormach and they said the newer enclosures are fixed in some way but I have been unable to get any further info or details. So...I’m wondering if anyone here has a recent vintage enclosure and can comment or provide some guidance? I’d much prefer to buy something rather than make my own due to time constraints.
    Thanks!

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 440 enclosure questions

Enclosure on 440 leaks like sieve, its ridiculous. There is no using that enclosure with flood coolant. It leaks on the bottom, it leaks through those front doors. Heck I have chips coming out with front doors closed when working with MistBuster... Enclosure is a joke.

Dennis

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by coffeetek View Post
    Enclosure on 440 leaks like sieve, its ridiculous. There is no using that enclosure with flood coolant. It leaks on the bottom, it leaks through those front doors. Heck I have chips coming out with front doors closed when working with MistBuster... Enclosure is a joke.
    That’s what I was thinking. Bummer and they sure want enough for it. How long ago did you order your enclosure?

I thought about making my own but didn’t want to invest the time. I made my current enclosure from 3/4” ply and it’s kinda noisy and amplifies the machine noise. I’d imagine a metal enclosure would do the same. Not sure what to do...

Downloads
    Uploads

I bought one of the very early 440's with the factory cabinet. As it stands now, it does not leak water or chips. However I needed to make some modifications to get it there. The reservoir for the flood coolant return was not a great design, so I 3D printed a flexible gasket so it could mate and seal to the enclosure without leaks. There were a few folds in the sheet metal that weren't water tight, but a couple dots of silicone fixed those. The front door didn't align correctly, so I resized one of the doors and added an additional (flapper?) to close up the seam, and also a couple additional strategic holes under the door to allow splashed coolant to drip back inside.

So, out of the box it wasn't great; but a little bit of modification and it is fine now. I've not seen this new model of enclosure, but the fact that they iterated on the original one shows they recognized faults and worked to correct them. I think it would be worth while getting more info on the new enclosure before completely discounting it because of an early design that wasn't perfect.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have a 440 with an enclosure, it's about half a year old. I have not had significant leakage problems, and I use flood coolant, so I think mine is the new design, then?
    I couldn't mill without the enclosure, the mill is a few feet away from the laundry...

I had some door alignment problems, because the screws on the hinges were quite hard to get to stick (it's a rubber compression screw, not a through-hole bolt.)