Need Help! Spindle Temps

Thread: Spindle Temps

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Spindle Temps

What spindle temps are you all seeing on your 1100’s? Ive noticed that my spindle has been getting hotter to the touch recently. I just bought a laser temp gun and want to see where I compare to others. Ambients are definately getting higher here in the southwest, but it sure seems like Im running hotter than last year. Hope I dont have bearings going. No noticeable harmonic changes at all.

Thanks all!

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Spindle Temps

As long as your not getting close to 200 you should be fine. I think the last time i measured my spindle bearing temp it was around 150f ish.

Downloads
    Uploads

This was during break in of a rebuilt spindle/fresh bearings. Runs substantially cooler since. Using the good grease because I had it. I believe it was about 80 degrees in the shop that day.

WW

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spindle Temps-screen-shot-2018-06-04-2-21-a  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you so much! Great info!

Downloads
    Uploads

I noticed the spindle runs warmer to the touch when running at 5.1K RPM and my shop was about 75* today with the doors open. The spindle does run cooler with the anti-rotation part clamped around the spindle. It is made from 1" thick 6061-T6 and was made to prevent my Procunier tapping head from rotating. The other day I was considering machining cooling fins into it giving more surface area for air cooling.Spindle Temps-antirotationclampimg_7482-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Interesting. Acting as a heatsink.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wildwhl View Post
    This was during break in of a rebuilt spindle/fresh bearings. Runs substantially cooler since. Using the good grease because I had it. I believe it was about 80 degrees in the shop that day.

WW
    As a second data point, these numbers are very close to what I got after replacing my lower bearing (the original was OK until I messed it up during other maintenance, so this wasn't a bearing failure). The original set ran around 100F at 5K rpm; now it's more like 120. I was measuring with a noncontact sensor aimed at the inside of the spindle, right at the top of the R8 cone in the spindle.