Tormach 770 Y axis gib install

Thread: Tormach 770 Y axis gib install

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Tormach 770 Y axis gib install

Aloha guys. I had some recent chatter issues with my machine, so moved on to adjusting gibs. I removed the X gib, cleaned it up, installed and adjusted. Got it to a very low backlash reading. Moved on to do the same thing with Y. When installing the Y gib, i noticed that when I set the gib in place, its sitting on low in the slot, and against the top of the saddle of the machine. When I tighten the front screw, due to the rotation of the screw, it pulls the gib up, but the back of the gib still sits low. Doesnt look right to me. I would think that the gib should either sit low or high, on BOTH sides. Not at a angle. Tighetning the front raises the gib, but tightening the back pulls it down. I stopped at this point. Does anyone have any info on fitting the Y gib back into place? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tormach 770 Y axis gib install-6fcd03d3-bd14-4108-a91e-462aecdaf996-jpg   Tormach 770 Y axis gib install-0cb214b8-5e3f-4f8f-9699-934e50d1bf45-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Cliff. I adjusted it today. Looks like a better fit with it sitting up high and snug rather than down low. In fact, the old marks on the gib line up with it being up high. Can be seen on the attached pic. I found that i could keep it up in the slot by keeping a light tension on both screws while tightening the front, and loosening the back, during the whole adjustment procedure Now front and back are up high and look visually correct.

Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    Yes that's not ideal - but you could file to fit and put a blade of alum temporally in the right pic end to hold the gib down. Adjust, then remove the blade.

Cliff

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tormach 770 Y axis gib install-d058543d-8c5c-453e-a7be-0b9f80c7e15d-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Tormach 770 Y axis gib install

The other pic was upside down

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tormach 770 Y axis gib install-d72b71af-a0aa-4871-976a-6e8a0c033500-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This pic is upside down. But you can see the line on the gib.