Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: - Shipping Container Machine Shop w/PCNC 1100

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: - Shipping Container Machine Shop w/PCNC 1100

Sorry for late replies!

imperial90303,

I marked where the tie downs are located in the wall but I would have to cut through paneling to get to them. I probably would not move it with mill on stand.

Noise is an excellent question. Too loud to hear my music when machining lol. Think I may need to add an additional thick curtain in front to close and cut down noise when I'm running repeat setups I'm comfortable with. It is loud enough where it's distracting when I'm working on other things and too loud to be on the phone with someone during machining. Maybe add a camera in there to monitor since I have a big display in shop when I'm working on CAM setups.

Standard 8' tall container.

VAAR,

My previous job was extremely stressful and drove me to look for other options! Was working towards this for 3 years before taking ultimate plunge. It it still nerve racking sometimes lol. No money until I produce a good product....

Asuratman,

Quickly seeing my limitations with this setup. While machine is capable of all the machining processes going into the folding knife, thinking it should not be used as a router to do wood/bone/resin ivory handles. Nor should I be taking up much of its time doing engraving which could be done on another machine. Already looking at probably 7 hours machining time per knife...

Jwatte,

Thanks! Thinking surface finish can get better on hardened titanium, we'll see. Also, I am heavily considering using XEBEC brushes for deburring and finishing. Will probably do a separate post on that in the future as I start experimenting with them. I have a great stone tumbler that was donated to me but there are ceratin mating edges I like to keep sharp.

XEBEC:
    XEBEC® Deburring Technologies
    Anyone ever use these??

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

"next time" you might want to look for a taller container , probably the same cost.....
    I think there are 8 1/2 and 9 1/2 tall

plus there are some that are 45 ft long containers too ,

I wish I could put one in my yard , but the city will not allow it.....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smile Re: - Shipping Container Machine Shop w/PCNC 1100

Quote Originally Posted by imperial90303 View Post
    "next time" you might want to look for a taller container , probably the same cost.....

Just put it underground

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by imperial90303 View Post

Actually the taller ones are less expensive. Same for me about the City.
    Larry

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by metalfixer View Post
    Actually the taller ones are less expensive. Same for me about the City.
    Larry
    In my area, the taller ones are $300-$500 more. I would have gotten a taller or longer one but the container I got was $2,400 and that is less than IRS limit of $2,500 capital expense for being able to take 100% depreciation on it in the first year. (I can write off the full $2,400 in first year expenses, if it was over $2,500 I would not have been able to) Credit to my friend Monica who is helping me with business for that one!

If people are looking at a low cost option to start a small business and can put one of these containers somewhere, I think it is great idea! I will wait until I have revenue before I even consider moving into a leased space or putting substantial money into a building. Considering I am a month behind on where I thought I'd be for prototyping, this is starting to save me $$ when I need it most.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

In the Detroit, MI area the quotes I received were for 2 heights and 3 different conditions.
    The shipping containers are offered as:
    Wind and water tight, used
    Cargo worthy used but structurally better than wind and water tight, for stacking:
    New, made overseas and used one trip.
    For others information, I’ve included the prices that I was given.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -  Shipping Container Machine Shop w/PCNC 1100-8-6-used-jpg   -  Shipping Container Machine Shop w/PCNC 1100-8-6-new-jpg   -  Shipping Container Machine Shop w/PCNC 1100-9-6-used-jpg   -  Shipping Container Machine Shop w/PCNC 1100-9-6-new-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Did you think of how and where to place a remote fire extinguisher ?

if need you sure do not want to have to run to the back of the container to put it out !

The 40 foot container I am renting for storage has a 5 ft wide roll up door about 5 ft from the back of the container , it really helps when you need to get something out of the back section........

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

metalfixer,

Great information, thank you for sharing!

I've purchased 2 of these so far, some tips:

1. Purchase from a place that lets you walk their yard to pick the actual container. (Or at least sends you pics of it) If you can get a look at it before buying then you don't have to go through expense of getting a single trip one. Also, check how the doors close! You shouldn't have to muscle the heck out of a good one.

Below is the 2nd container I had delivered, I rejected it and had them send me another because the walls and ceiling were in worse shape then they said and would have been a nightmare to set the foam insulation boards on. BTW, I used RMax 3/4 x 4 x 8 foam boards glued to walls with Loctite PL pro premium 3x. Worked very well this summer. Wall AC unit did not run excessively in the Texas heat. Advise getting an AC unit rated for at least 500-600 sq ft even if container is 320sq ft due to heat output of equipment,lights etc..

imperial90303,

I have 2 fire extinguishers. 1 by the CNC mill and another back near entrance at my storage racks. My planned materials handling (chopsaw station) I moved outside since it's so loud and puts a bunch of grindings in the air/shop.

Would love to have a 2nd door somewhere near the back as I'm not a huge fan of feeling trapped in back with only entrance to front. Once I get some good sales going I've got a few upgrades planned and a good metal door farther back is one of them. Maybe a barred window too. Like the security of the container but it can feel like a cave.

All in all, was a great choice for me starting out. Prototyping my first product has extended farther than I had hoped but is to be expected. Learning curves! Right now I'm finishing up some design changes based on the prototyping and submitting a utility patent next week. CAM has been a enlightening when you see your masterful design is a pain to actually machine lol.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12