Little Things - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Little Things

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Little Things

I do notice if I check or remeasure tools before a run I find small differences due to temperature or whatever . Having this done on the machine at run time with a tool setter seams like it would mitigate this a little.
    Perhaps? If all the tools measure off, but consistently off, then maybe you'll come out ahead :-)
    I'd expect a tool height setter to be about as accurate as the end stop limit switches -- one or a few thou' off on a bad day?

I would expect it to work as good or better then the 300.00 height gauge system.
    They work totally differently, hence why they can deliver different levels of accuracy at different costs.

Anyway, I like me some convenience (and got me one of those ITTP probes, which I'll write about when I have more experience with it,) but the tool setter never seemed worth it to me. Manual entry works great!
    Sometimes I take the tools back and re-measure them and they're within a thou of what I entered, so... good enough for me!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    Perhaps? If all the tools measure off, but consistently off, then maybe you'll come out ahead :-)
    I'd expect a tool height setter to be about as accurate as the end stop limit switches -- one or a few thou' off on a bad day?

They work totally differently, hence why they can deliver different levels of accuracy at different costs.

Anyway, I like me some convenience (and got me one of those ITTP probes, which I'll write about when I have more experience with it,) but the tool setter never seemed worth it to me. Manual entry works great!
    Sometimes I take the tools back and re-measure them and they're within a thou of what I entered, so... good enough for me!

As I have mentioned in the past I get x-y accuracy near the limit of my modest measuring tools and if I chase any accuracy at all, its on the z axis. Was hoping and thinking this might help. Not real important for what I do and mostly just striving to improve my process and methods over time.

After I cleaned and lubed the height gage yesterday its pretty consistent. Half thou if I am very careful. I broke a tool and had to replace it. While I was at it I remeasured the tool several times moving the height gage around. I noticed some variation but not much.

Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Tool Changer. Bye. I'll sell it at a huge discount. A LOT cheaper than the price of a new one, plus shipping. MAKE AN OFFER. One bent fork. Keeping the power board. I hate the cube that comes with the PDB. (This is a for real offer for somebody. US Shipping only.)

It worked perfectly for days, then yesterday it crashed and tore a fork off. I carefully aligned it three times, and tested it with multiple tool changes at the MDI line. Run some code, and CRASH. Three times after the initial failure. I spent most of the afternoon screwing with it. I thought I could email Tormach and let them exchange 30 emails of frustration for a couple days walking me through everything I just did before maybe offering some new help, or I can spend 30 minutes removing the damned thing and start cutting parts without it. I was in the shop late cutting parts after that. I still do manual tool changes on the other machines, so I have to be there anyway. I have cameras on all the other machines so I can work on the computer doing design work until they are ready for a tool change. I planned to add a camera for the Tormach too, but just hadn't gotten to it yet. I guess I'll be doing that today.

Even while it was working I was starting to see some things I didn't like. There is of course the tool change and pull out compromise, which can also cause a crash. Either from pullout or from failure to release quickly enough. I also had noted before there is a very slight difference in tool height between an automatic tool change and a manual tool change. On top of that a couple times I had a chip (only thing I can think of) get on top of a tool and cause one tool in a job to cut deeper (not pullout) than any other tool on the job a couple times ruining parts.

Its a nice tool when it works, but the ATC is NOT 100%.

For those who will say "WELL! MINE WORKS PEFECTLY!" while typing in a haughty tone. Congratulations. I am happy for you. I mean that sincerely. Not sarcastically. I'm sure for some folks its fine, but its just not reliable enough for me. I'm not the first one to reach that conclusion.

Removing the tool changer (or just not using it) solves or mitigates a couple other issues.

Last edited by Bob La Londe; 10-23-2018 at 01:29 PM.
    Bob La Londe

On a positive note I am finally starting to get used to that shuttle thing they use instead of a real pendant.

Bob La Londe

Well after removing the ATC and getting used to manual tool changes I've made 14 parts at 2.5-4 hrs each with no issues other than the light nature of the mill. I do have to give the tool holder a light tap once in a while to release, but my shop air regulator maxes at 100 PSI. I'll be replacing it soon with one I can crank up to 120. I also have some more Belleville washers coming today so I can give it a little more movement at current (or slightly higher) drawbar tension. After that's done I'll start cranking up material removal rates again and see what I can get away with.

Yes the ATC is for sale. I will not be reinstalling it. I'll do without until I am ready to step up to an industrial machine. On the other hand after getting used to using the tool tables and the quick change I may start using the tool table and swap out my spindles for ISO-20 spindles on the Speedmasters. It is awfully nice to just swap the tool and press start.

There is a lot of flexibility and control from Mach3 driven machines I miss on the PP controlled machine. Little things, like the elapsed time clock when a job is running. The ability to raise the head manually when it stops for a tool change. (I have that in my tool change macros on the M3 machines. On the PP machine I had to modify my Post Processor to insert a G30.) The massive aftermarket support market. I miss the real time trace of the job as it cuts, although on really large jobs (million lines or more) I do turn the tool path display off on Mach3 as it can make the machine a little slow to respond to manual controls.

Sooner or later I need to make another modification as indicated about program size. Every "job" I have run on the 1100 is to large to fully display when first loaded with the standard settings. It gives me a warning on the status page, but atleast it executes. It does seem to display the rest after the first part has executed.

Bob La Londe

Carefully lubed all the washers at the contact points only. Sparingly lubed the collet. Changed out the shop air regulator so I could get it up to 125. Adjusted the compressor to turn on at 125 and off at 155. (Had it set lower with wider range to go easy on the compressor and not cycle as often.) Set the regulator at the mill to 120PSI. Went to 10 washers in regular max travel orientation. Had to shorten the top of the draw bar slightly. Nice and smooth thanks to the lathe. Tightened it down until the tool holder drags. Backed it off about 1/4 turn and the tool holder falls right out. Nice. Cutting now. Its got to just be in my head, but it "sounds" better. LOL.

Note: With the lube I was able to initially hand tighten much tighter.

Bob La Londe

Downloads
    Uploads

I have been using my ATC for months with no issues. Have you checked to see if the check valve is bad? How old is your ATC? Does it have a pressure sensor? I hate to see you having issues so if i can help you figure it out let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by selphb View Post
    I have been using my ATC for months with no issues. Have you checked to see if the check valve is bad? How old is your ATC? Does it have a pressure sensor? I hate to see you having issues so if i can help you figure it out let me know.
    I'm sure I could figure it out. Its not my first rodeo. I decided I need to cut parts not work on it. Its out and on the floor right now and I kind of like it without it. I've got about 25 tools setup, and I am usually right there anyway loading parts or changing tools on one of the other machines so hand swapping a tool is no big deal. Cut two molds with it today. If anything its inspired me to get ATC spindles for my Speedmasters next time I have a few extra sheckles after bills are paid.

Bob La Londe

Downloads
    Uploads

What I would want is a beep. Or SMS. Or something. To notify me when it's time to change to the next tool.
    That looks easy to hack into the .py code, but harder to make stay across upgrades ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123