Problem [Tormach 770] Crashing when changing tools with ATC

Thread: [Tormach 770] Crashing when changing tools with ATC

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default [Tormach 770] Crashing when changing tools with ATC

Hi All,

I've been trying to track down the source of this problem for a while now with no success. Tormach claims they've never seen this issue and didn't offer much help.

Every once and a while when commanding a tool change, the spindle will jog up to the Z-reference switch instead of the tool change height, then activate the tool changing routine. This causes the tool changer to slide over when the spindle is much too high, then the power drawbar releases the tool from a few inches above the ATC fork. I've never been able to recreate the issue using the manual tool change button in PathPilot interface, it only happens when running a program. Even when it does happen during a program, I am rarely able to recreate it. You can imagine how tense tool changes are when this issue can happen randomly at any time.

Anyone have advice? Thanks!

I am using Fusion 360 and the Tormach PathPilot PP on a Tormach PCNC770 (less than one year old).

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: [Tormach 770] Crashing when changing tools with ATC

Quote Originally Posted by pcrowlz View Post
    Hi All,

I've been trying to track down the source of this problem for a while now with no success. Tormach claims they've never seen this issue and didn't offer much help.

Every once and a while when commanding a tool change, the spindle will jog up to the Z-reference switch instead of the tool change height, then activate the tool changing routine. This causes the tool changer to slide over when the spindle is much too high, then the power drawbar releases the tool from a few inches above the ATC fork. I've never been able to recreate the issue using the manual tool change button in PathPilot interface, it only happens when running a program. Even when it does happen during a program, I am rarely able to recreate it. You can imagine how tense tool changes are when this issue can happen randomly at any time.

I am using Fusion 360 and the Tormach PathPilot PP on a Tormach PCNC770 (less than one year old).
    Might be a dumb idea, but maybe you could set your G30 to the same height as the tool changer.

Can't hurt to try

Michael

Downloads
    Uploads

I have never had your issue but I had my machine for 4 years (1100 with atc)and still get a random crash every couple of months. It’s weird, it could be thesame tool and in the same holder and it will push the tool through the holder.
    This is much better than it use to be. I use to have constant crashes even after repeatedly realigning the arc.
    I did get help from Tormach and this forum and what has helped drastically reduce my crashes was to;
    - take apart and reassemble the arc making sure everything was tight.
    - look for any electrical shorts. I replaced the keyboard and added ferrite to the cables.
    - I whipped my drive and reloaded all software.

FYI I haven’t upgraded to 2.0 yet since I’ve heard there are atc issues that may be president

Good luck

UOTE=pcrowlz;2165280]Hi All,

I am using Fusion 360 and the Tormach PathPilot PP on a Tormach PCNC770 (less than one year old).[/QUOTE]

Downloads
    Uploads

I have never had your issue but I had my machine for 4 years (1100 with atc)and still get a random crash every couple of months. It’s weird, it could be thesame tool and in the same holder and it will push the tool through the holder.
    This is much better than it use to be. I use to have constant crashes even after repeatedly realigning the atc.
    I did get help from Tormach and this forum and what has helped drastically reduce my crashes was to;
    - take apart and reassemble the atc making sure everything was tight.
    - look for any electrical shorts. I replaced the keyboard and added ferrite to the cables.
    - I whipped my drive and reloaded all software.

FYI I haven’t upgraded to 2.0 yet since I’ve heard there are atc issues that may be president

Good luck

UOTE=pcrowlz;2165280]Hi All,

I am using Fusion 360 and the Tormach PathPilot PP on a Tormach PCNC770 (less than one year old).[/QUOTE]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RA-Bowtie View Post
    Might be a dumb idea, but maybe you could set your G30 to the same height as the tool changer.

Can't hurt to try

Michael
    Not a dumb idea at all! That is actually our current workaround. Though, I've noticed that G30 sometimes gets reset even though we rarely turn out PathPilot computer off.

Downloads
    Uploads

Mine's done thousands of tool changes with the ATC and never this. I do have a G54 to about where the toolchange Z is in the post that is leftover from the days of manual changes, but as it doesn't hurt anything and provides a reference that things aren't going completely sideways, I leave it in.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

My issue was fixed when i isolated the machine on its own powersource.I had a noisy air compression creating a lot of noise that caused the ATC to crash. Isolate the aircomp and brought a USB cable with filters and it fixed my issue.