Storing machine locations

Thread: Storing machine locations

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Storing machine locations

Is there a way to store a position (say the back Left edge of my vise jaw) in the machine position and recall it without having to indicate it in every time? So that after I power on the machine, I can go to machine coordinate (X,Y) then it will be over the corner of the vise, and all I have to do is touch off with the first tool for Z.

I understand there would probably be some deviation due to the homing switches and backlash, but if it was within a few thousands, I could live with it if I was just making a quick fixture, where the features just needed to be relative to each other and not the edge of the work piece.

Thank you!

(I'm using Path Pilot v2.0)

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Storing machine locations

Use a WCS that you dont normally use. Like G59.3. Anytime you want to go back to it, switch to G59.3 and mdi to X0 Y0, then switch back to whatever WCS your program is going to use (G54 as an example), then zero out X and Y.

Side note: This is common practice for table mounted tool setters.

Tormach PCNC 1100 Series 3 w/ Rapid Turn, Fusion 360

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by sharmstr View Post
    Use a WCS that you dont normally use. Like G59.3. Anytime you want to go back to it, switch to G59.3 and mdi to X0 Y0, then switch back to whatever WCS your program is going to use (G54 as an example), then zero out X and Y.

Side note: This is common practice for table mounted tool setters.
    Was hoping it was something simple and common. Thank you!

Downloads
    Uploads

No problem. If you needed accuracy and had a probe, you could also set G59.3 to a probe position (for a vice jaw it would be roughly X-.5 and Y-.5 from your vice jaw), switch back to G54 then hit the SW corner probe routine to set X and Y zero. I do something similar for job I run every few weeks. The fixture plate for that job is always mounted in the same exact spot.

Tormach PCNC 1100 Series 3 w/ Rapid Turn, Fusion 360