Paint of Small parts on 440

Thread: Paint of Small parts on 440

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Paint of Small parts on 440

Maybe not Tormach specific. Going to start making small parts on my new 440. All ALU.

What do you guys do with finished parts? Left mill-finish? Is it a problem if kept in mill-finish?

How about powder coating? Put them in a tumbler?

The actual use is indoor, and color-wise it is fine if left mill-finish. these parts mostly tools, fixtures, cover plates and such but they do go to end-users.

Any good recommended spray and call it a day?

I've seen some of these firearm finish spray like Cerakote that could be interesting.

Cost and time are the factors really.

Jim

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Paint of Small parts on 440

I also make a lot of aluminum parts. I debur and wash everything, then it goes to anodize, which my empolyer pays for. I don't have a tumbler. Some of the parts get bead blasted, but that is only so the anodize finish ends up flat (not shiny).
    I do have a shelf full of aluminum pieces made for jigs/fixtures and they all remain naked, mill finish.

Downloads
    Uploads

It depends on the desired end result. I often do a tumbled finish, which holds up decent. Like 74Burke I'll bead blast but only if I am anodizing, it will show scratches easily. I also like to use a scotchbrite belt on my belt grinder, gives a nice brushed finish

If I can I usually try and just get away with a debur and wash. Adding different finishes always take a bit to get the process tweaked just right, plus there are times when it needs to be redone or the part needs to be remade because of mistakes.

I have been wanting to try one of the Nampower brushes from BRM. That seems like it could be pretty handy

Abrasive Brushes, Abrasive Disc Brush Tools

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks to all for the reply.

I wanted to decide on a method and set up a small section or a booth for that and do all in-house for the cost and time considering it maybe re-done as well.

I believe all of these options can be done with not much initial setup cost, especially for small parts.

Downloads
    Uploads

I usually anodize or powder coat - so long as it doesn't affect the function or tolerances. For parts left w/ mill finish, I also use the aluminum buffing compound for odd shaped parts that can't be sanded easily. Caswell has a ton of options and I get all my supplies from them https://www.caswellplating.com/

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by JDona View Post
    Thanks to all for the reply.

I wanted to decide on a method and set up a small section or a booth for that and do all in-house for the cost and time considering it maybe re-done as well.

I believe all of these options can be done with not much initial setup cost, especially for small parts.

I built a small paint booth for my shop. It consists of 2 standard furnace filters stacked on top of each other, a fiberglass filter followed by a pleated paper filter. This is connected to my home HRV to blow the air outside and bring in the fresh air. I have a built-in light and two doors on the side to help increase airflow. I have since built a second booth for work. I built that one from an IKEA kitchen cabinet placed on its side (much easier) I also replace the two side doors with a plexiglass going 3/4 down with just enough room to put your hands in.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Paint of Small parts on 440-img_1805-jpg