I HAVE A PROBLEM!

Thread: I HAVE A PROBLEM!

Default I HAVE A PROBLEM!

There are two crates on my shop floor containing a Tormach 1100 and accessories. For the first time in atleast five years I received a crated delivery and there are no fork lift holes in the crates. I wonder what the trucking company did wrong. I'm sure its part of quality control to poke a hole in the crate with a fork to test its integrity. They just didn't do that part this time I guess. I feel almost shorted.

Similar Threads:
    Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: I HAVE A PROBLEM!

I thought those holes were for vents to let the mold out.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

I mentioned before the freight hub guys next city north of me kind of fight over who gets to make some of these deliveries just to see the shop and what people are doing.

As I remember its no trivial task to assemble those machines by yourself. If you have big shop with forklift then it would be straight forward for the heavy work. The engine hoist method I used was far less then Ideal. Happy I spent most of my youth rigging hoisting, and lowering all kinds of heavy things.

I don't have a forklift. I don't even have a gantry crane. I do have a cherry picker and bucket forks for my front loader. Sadly I think its going to be right at the limit for my bucket, and the tractor won't fit in the machine room. So... cherry picker it is. Somehow I did manage to get my KMB1 (2 tons of one solid assembly) off the trailer, and its been moved around in the shop a couple times so I expect I'll figure out how to get the 1100 setup. Last time I set a bed mill on a stand I leveled the mill roughly in the air, and then moved the stand to line up as I lowered the mill half an inch at a time. After that I just moved the whole thing into place with a straight pick. It was a little heavier than the Tormach. Not sure the Tormach sheet metal stand will hold up to that sort of moving, but I can always just use the straight pick as a lifting lever and slide some HDPE skids under the feet on the stand. Then it will move easier. That's how I moved my safe into my office. The hard part was getting the skids out when I was done. We slide it off the skids into the corner where it is now and forever will be to place it. My son may be around to help when he isn't at college or at work. I've go a couple buddies who may help, but they work too. We will see. One way or another I'll get it done. I always do.

Bob La Londe

Downloads
    Uploads

I got mine setup on the stand with just a cherry picker. I hope you bought the lifting kit. The hardware is a little questionable, but worked for me. My pawn shop pallet jack will lift and move the entire package as it sits now - full enclosure, ATC, PDB, etc. I built it all up in the middle of my little 300sf machine room and tucked it into the corner with the pallet jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob La Londe View Post
    I don't have a forklift. I don't even have a gantry crane. I do have a cherry picker and bucket forks for my front loader. Sadly I think its going to be right at the limit for my bucket, and the tractor won't fit in the machine room. So... cherry picker it is. Somehow I did manage to get my KMB1 (2 tons of one solid assembly) off the trailer, and its been moved around in the shop a couple times so I expect I'll figure out how to get the 1100 setup. Last time I set a bed mill on a stand I leveled the mill roughly in the air, and then moved the stand to line up as I lowered the mill half an inch at a time. After that I just moved the whole thing into place with a straight pick. It was a little heavier than the Tormach. Not sure the Tormach sheet metal stand will hold up to that sort of moving, but I can always just use the straight pick as a lifting lever and slide some HDPE skids under the feet on the stand. Then it will move easier. That's how I moved my safe into my office. The hard part was getting the skids out when I was done. We slide it off the skids into the corner where it is now and forever will be to place it. My son may be around to help when he isn't at college or at work. I've go a couple buddies who may help, but they work too. We will see. One way or another I'll get it done. I always do.

Well a fishing buddy stopped by yesterday and helped get the 14x40 lathe out of the machine room and out onto the main shop floor. Wasn't to bad for the two of us. Two farm jacks, a straight pick and two furniture dollies. Picked it up, set it on the dollies, rolled out to its new home, and set it down. I hope I don't have to move it again. LOL. I now have three other mills to move around in there to make a space the right shape for it. I may just CAD up a simple floor plan to make sure I can access everything for service when its placed.

Bob La Londe

P.S. In my haste the other day to complain about the lack of fork lift venting holes in the crates I forgot to mention that the driver was top notch. He even rolled the pallets inside and dropped them where I wanted them.

Bob La Londe

Since I am guessing this is NOT the tommy bar for adjusting the stand feet I guess its off to the lathe to turn something down to fit. LOL

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I HAVE A PROBLEM!-20180314_152858-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Actually, the handle from my lathe chuck key fits nice. I don't know what that pin is for (I got one also).

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Bob La Londe View Post
    Since I am guessing this is NOT the tommy bar for adjusting the stand feet I guess its off to the lathe to turn something down to fit. LOL
    I asked people on this forum about that pin years ago when I received my mill . I use it for an indicator mount now

I might actually get the mill off the pallet next week. Today I swapped back and forth between destroying a perfectly good cherry picker, and getting plants out of the greenhouse into the ground.

TOMORROW I AM GOING FISHING.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I HAVE A PROBLEM!-wrecking-cherry-picker-1-jpg   I HAVE A PROBLEM!-wrecking-cherry-picker-2-jpg  
    Bob La Londe

Downloads
    Uploads

That makes a lot more sense than the angled legs that don't fit anything right.
    Looks good.

I have considered that the legs should be able to telescope out or in just like the boom.

Lee

The legs on this one telescope out. So do the side supports in the back. You should never have the boom out further than the front casters.

Bob La Londe

Downloads
    Uploads

Right. The one I have folds up, so the legs do not telescope. Yours does more tricks than mine.

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    Right. The one I have folds up, so the legs do not telescope. Yours does more tricks than mine.
    Trust me. Most of the time I wish mine folded up. Its only when I use it that I don't. LOL.

Bob La Londe