Rats, Don't let this happen to you!

Thread: Rats, Don't let this happen to you!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Rats, Don't let this happen to you!

Well, it seems that rats prefer to pee on Hardinge collets over generic Chinese no-namers. I'd seen a few droppings from time to time, but didn't give it much thought. Just sucked them up with my worthless Craftsman vacuum. I don't use my RT that often but recently I had the need so I went to grab a 3/4" collet and OMG! They were severely corroded, not with rust, but from rat urine. I salvaged a few and in the process found that the rat had a definite preference for Hardinge. The solution was a two part process. First I picked up a set of Chinese Royals in 1/16" increments, figuring I'd buy the less common sizes as needed. The second part of my solution was much less expensive. I saw an add that read: "Cat, free to good home." Well, I grabbed him in a New York minute and made him a permanent resident of my workshop. Since my shop only has three walls, "Tom" is free to come and go as he pleases. He seems very happy with his new accommodations. He's good company and also a much better listener than my wife. Plus he never nags, and I haven's seen any rat droppings since Tom's arrival. A win/win solution. No more corroded tools and Tom has a good home.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by jttoner; 03-05-2018 at 07:12 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Rats, Don't let this happen to you!

Quote Originally Posted by jttoner View Post
    Well, it seems that rats prefer to pee on Hardinge collets over generic Chinese no-namers. I'd seen a few droppings from time to time, but didn't give it much thought. Just sucked them up with my worthless Craftsman vacuum. I don't use my RT that often but recently I had the need so I went to grab a 3/4" collet and OMG! They were severely corroded, not with rust, but from rat urine. I salvaged a few and in the process found that the rat had a definite preference for Hardinge. The solution was a two part process. First I picked up a set of Chinese Royals in 1/16" increments, figuring I'd buy the less common sizes as needed. The second part of my solution was much less expensive. I saw an add that read: "Cat, free to good home." Well, I grabbed him in a New York minute and made him a permanent resident of my workshop. Since my shop only has three walls, "Tom" is free to come and go as he pleases. He seems very happy with his new accommodations. He's good company and also a much better listener than my wife. Plus he never nags, and I haven's seen any rat droppings since Tom's arrival. A win/win solution. No more corroded tools and Tom has a good home.

That got the old mans funny bone going!! I have a shed that I mouse proofed last year, new doors and metal siding, tight enough that the spiders dont get in anymore........
    I had a groundhog that had taken up residence under it, I tried many things to disuade him but to no avail. I had an old neon sign transformer that I installed along the perimeter over where he was going in and out, needless to say he hasnt been back since, one good zap sure changed his mind about his place of residence!

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

On a more serious note, I am working on a pulldown resistor setup for the probe, it draws about 2.5 mills thru the probe, I would like to get the current draw down that it takes to switch, one of the forum guys has his down to approximately .5 ma.

I finally figured out how to set the Z height with it, eliminates a tool change as I was setting it with an indicator before.
    Worth its weight in gold here!

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Sounds good, Mike. I had a German who loved tipping over our trash can then seeing how far he could scatter the contents. Well in those days we still had metal trash cans and I had a fence charger. I rigged it up to the trash can and that night during dinner we heard a yelp. For the rest of his long life he wouldn't go any where near that trash can. He wouldn't even look at.it. I wish it would've been that easy to train my kids.

Downloads
    Uploads

It might have been, if you had actually used the fence charger!

Downloads
    Uploads

Actually, all the kids turned out well w/o the fence charger. The dog, and he was a great dog, enjoyed a long and happy, albeit trash can free, life. He must've thought the can was possessed.