Lead Time Question for Owners

Thread: Lead Time Question for Owners

Default Lead Time Question for Owners

So, how long from the time you placed the order for your new mill was it until it arrived at your shop?

Was your machine built to order or did they have machines on the floor in their shop ready to ship?

I know at any particular moment the answer is "call Tormach," but I don't want to call Tormach just yet. I want to know what owner's experiences were.

Similar Threads:
    Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Bob La Londe View Post
    So, how long from the time you placed the order for your new mill was it until it arrived at your shop?

Was your machine built to order or did they have machines on the floor in their shop ready to ship?

I know at any particular moment the answer is "call Tormach," but I don't want to call Tormach just yet. I want to know what owner's experiences were.
    7 days including weekend for machine, 5 days for accessories via UPS.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Lead Time Question for Owners

Mine was 18 days from order to arrival. I'm only 450 miles from their warehouse.

Downloads
    Uploads

I placed an order on a Monday for 1100 machine, base, and some options. It was setting 30 miles North of me 2 days later. It set there for 3 days during a snow storm and a back log of home deliveries. With a dock I would have had the machine in 3 days. It was shipped out of Las Vegas. Tooling did take much longer more like a week or so.
    As for built They come in a crate from China! you assemble the machine on base and add options you order with machine like pdb......and wire it up to power.

Forgot to add a note the freight company drivers around here tell me they kind of fight over who gets to deliver some of this stuff just for chance to see the shop and what they are doing.

Last edited by mountaindew; 02-27-2018 at 08:00 AM.

Well, I signed the paperwork today. Hopefully the order will get processed quickly. I went with the "Part Maker" package less some of the stuff I already have or won't use. I resisted the Tormach for a while mostly due to its low acceleration rate, but I think it will be a good complement to the shop. I don't plan to retire any of my other machines anytime soon.

Bob La Londe

Downloads
    Uploads

Congrats on your new purchase.
    Looks like the delivery of mine was longer than normal. I was happy with it though, we bought a Haas lathe at work and it was about 2 months from PO to delivery and almost another month to get the tech out to level it and have the electrician wire it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well, I signed the paperwork today. Hopefully the order will get processed quickly. I went with the "Part Maker" package less some of the stuff I already have or won't use. I resisted the Tormach for a while mostly due to its low acceleration rate, but I think it will be a good complement to the shop. I don't plan to retire any of my other machines anytime soon.
    Wow it would take me an easy 2 weeks just to put all that together and setup for use. That is a pallet of accessories more then I ordered. Delivery time frame could be different for all that stuff

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    Wow it would take me an easy 2 weeks just to put all that together and setup for use. That is a pallet of accessories more then I ordered. Delivery time frame could be different for all that stuff
    Funny you should mentioned pallets.... That's one of the things I want to setup A couple different pallets (maybe on some sort of jacks or stand depending on minimum height of the spindle) that I can quickly throw on the machine with part blanks preloaded. If I get it worked out a regular mill vise may never go back on the machine after the initial testing and setup. Or maybe a small one mounted to a pallet that goes on my pallet system.

Yeah, I figure it will take me a while to get it all setup, but I toasted and axis on my big mill (Hurco KMB1) on Sunday.
    I'll fix the Hurco of course, but not today or tomorrow. It l
    eft me having to do heavy milling on my little high speed machines. Its quite a lot of work to totally change the CAM for a job like that so its possible. I figure with the Tormach I'll have an in between machine that can pick up some of that heavy (with minor changes) lifting in a hurry. Just change the post and regenerate the code. I can even set them up to use the same tool numbers (mostly) since the Hurco is a manual kwik 200 tool change machine anyway.

Bob La Londe

Looks like for me 5 or 6 working days depending on who you believe on when payment was processed. Not bad. I received a call today from the trucking company. They want to deliver the mill and stand tomorrow.

No word yet on the rest of the order.

I did place an independent order for several extra tool holders and a Super Fly with extra inserts on 3/3/18. Tracking shows that will arrive on Monday. That tells me it takes Tormach atleast a day to process a parts order on-line. I get UPS coast to coast reliably on the fifth day. Not immediate, handling, but not horrible either. All items were listed as in-stock. Most of my regular vendors ship same day or for a weekend order on Monday.

So far it looks like they aren't set up to handle just in time ordering but they don't dawdle to long either.

Bob La Londe

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mine took 2 weeks. It also depends on the trucking company. The tooling orders almost always come the following week, unless I order them first thing Monday morning. They ain't Amazon Prime, but they carry decent stuff matched to the Tormach, which is nice. Most of my tooling orders are Tormach specific stuff, like TTS holders or accessories. I also order collets from them because it is convenient. Everything else I get elsewhere, usually through Amazon. Anything TTS related though comes from Tormach.

I was a commercial/residential communications contractor for 23 years. All my regular vendors ship same day. They aren't Amazon Prime either. LOL. I figured one or two days lag wasn't bad, but its not same day. Its worth noting when you plan for stuff. Its neither good nor bad, but its good to know.

What do you get through Amazon? I used to get a lot of stuff from Small Parts until Amazon bought them out, killed off half the product line, and raised the price on the rest. I get most of that stuff from Copperstate Bolt, MSC, or McMaster-Carr now. (I get the same price level from MSC I used to get from Enco.) Some folks like Zoro, but as a Grainger company I am always leary of them and they are almost always more expensive than the price I get from MSC. For parts I know are Chinese I just buy them direct from Chinese vendors on Ebay or AliExpress. No need to pay a middle man. Hardly any of the machining stuff I look at on Amazon is all that competitive. They few things I've found that are competitive are from third party sellers. They sell Niagra cutters, but the price I see is outrageous. Pretty hard to justify it when Harvey, MicroCut, LakeShore, and atleast a dozen other companies make fantastic tools for a lot less. I do get stuff from Amazon, and sometimes stuff that is hard to find elsewhere, but they sure aren't a primary machining source for me. I did get some control relays from them that are an exact match for the relays in my Speedmaster mills. I ordered 5 relays and got 4 relays and a stick. To be fair the stick had the same part number on the package as the relays. LOL.

I was led to believe that the machine would come from Las Vegas (which it did) and all the other stuff would come from Wisconsin, but the pallet that says stand has several small crates on it. Looks like quite a bit more than just the stand. It could easily include the PDB and ATC as well. I probably won't start opening crates and find out until late on Sunday. I've got machining jobs to finish today and get shipped. Saturday is a day with my wife joining an off road group with the Jeep. Gonna see some parts of the desert I've never seen before. I've got to move my 1440 lathe out of my air conditioned machine room and move the other machines around that are in there. Maybe also move my smaller lathe out. I still use it too. That will probably take all day Sunday. No need to start breaking down crates until there is a place to put things. Fortunately two of the Speedmasters have casters. Just raise the leveling feet and push. The third could be a problem though. Maybe I'll make up some HDPE skids for it.

Bob La Londe

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

What do you get through Amazon?
    From Amazon, metrology stuff, fowler gage blocks, micrometers, mid-level. I got my Haimer via Amazon. Several cutters that I have been happy with. Looking through my list, I also got my 0.00005" Browne & Sharp dial indicator through Amazon. And then there are a bunch of little things, stuff that Tormach doesn't carry, like Deburring tools, Loctite, Lapping Compound, etc. Your are right though, they are not always the cheapest, and if it says "Prime", it may even be marked up, so you have to watch out for that. Part of it is that I just don't have the time to research and find the best direct source, but also, Amazon has a very good return policy. Not that other suppliers don't, but many don't. Things like vises, I go direct to the maker. As I got more into it, I have added more suppliers. I am not yet to the point where I need a steady supply of cutters, and I pretty much have (now) all of the odds and ends. Most of my time sourcing is sourcing materials (aluminum and stainless). I also use McMaster Carr. What I haven't done much of is buy cutters direct, except I get reamers from one company because they have a great selection.

Quote Originally Posted by syscore View Post
    From Amazon, metrology stuff, fowler gage blocks, micrometers, mid-level. I got my Haimer via Amazon. Several cutters that I have been happy with. Looking through my list, I also got my 0.00005" Browne & Sharp dial indicator through Amazon. And then there are a bunch of little things, stuff that Tormach doesn't carry, like Deburring tools, Loctite, Lapping Compound, etc. Your are right though, they are not always the cheapest, and if it says "Prime", it may even be marked up, so you have to watch out for that. Part of it is that I just don't have the time to research and find the best direct source, but also, Amazon has a very good return policy. Not that other suppliers don't, but many don't. Things like vises, I go direct to the maker. As I got more into it, I have added more suppliers. I am not yet to the point where I need a steady supply of cutters, and I pretty much have (now) all of the odds and ends. Most of my time sourcing is sourcing materials (aluminum and stainless). I also use McMaster Carr. What I haven't done much of is buy cutters direct, except I get reamers from one company because they have a great selection.
    Some very good companies like Harvey will not sell direct to my knowledge, but they have a lot of dealers and Harvey drop ships very quickly if the dealer doesn't stock what you want. I found Kyocera would sell direct, but there were difficult to deal with. Something like making a call and saying, "Just send me a dozen of the same micro end mills you sent me last time," was impossible. I did find a good use for my Kyocera manual as a file cabinet space filler though.

Bob La Londe

I was led to believe that the machine would come from Las Vegas (which it did) and all the other stuff would come from Wisconsin, but the pallet that says stand has several small crates on it. Looks like quite a bit more than just the stand. It could easily include the PDB and ATC as well. I probably won't start opening crates and find out until late on Sunday.
    Oops, wrong about that assumption. I got a notice that a shipment was setup on Thursday from Wisconsin. Not sure if its gone out yet.

Bob La Londe

Well, as noted before the machine is here. The accessories pallet still has not arrived. As noted above it didn't ship until a little more than a week later.

The secondary order I placed for extra tool holders also arrived on Monday.

Bob La Londe