2” facemill recomendations - Page 4

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2” facemill recomendations

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    Speaking of backorder you have to get on the list sometimes for most reduced shank long reach tooling from Maritool also very popular I guess. I finished the last project I had before it arrived by other methods, but now I have the right tool for the right job.
    I am pretty sure I got the last two collars from Tormach. They said they were on backorder because of quality issues but I called and they found 2 good ones and sent them next day air. Great customer service!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by sidetrak06 View Post
    I am pretty sure I got the last two collars from Tormach. They said they were on backorder because of quality issues but I called and they found 2 good ones and sent them next day air. Great customer service!
    I made collars out of aluminum. I made the holes .003 undersized and when I need to put one on a tool I’ll heat it till it drops on the shank and when I get it where I want it I’ll either let it air cool or I’ll quench it with cool water. With .003 of press fit, there’s no way you’re going to move it unless you hit it with a hammer.

You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Downloads
    Uploads

The bolt on the bottom of the Shars r8 shaft does not fit inside if the bottom of the Maritool face mill. It is too wide.
    Did you get a different bolt from Maritool, turn the Shars bolt head down to fit, or just leave the oversized bolt head and tighten it down?
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 2” facemill recomendations

My maritool face mill came with a bolt. Fits great.

Maybe they forgot yours?

Just need to cut this shank down a bit.

Last edited by joshetect; 02-20-2018 at 08:52 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by joshetect View Post

Maybe they forgot yours?

My shell mill came with a screw threaded into the tool.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks everyone
    Looks like they forgot to include the bolt with the shell mill so are sending me one.

Quote Originally Posted by joshetect View Post

Maybe they forgot yours?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So what did you guys think of your new shell mill? I am still loving it and I haven't had any issued with storing it in the ATC during production runs!

Downloads
    Uploads

I just got mine ( 3 1/4” SM) put together and am anxious to try your feeds and speeds with (3) inserts in it.

That is good your atc is working with your SM

My atc runs well for a few months with the same tools in it then out of the blue it will push a tool through the holder. Lost a $70 thread milk this week due to it.
    I can’t imagine what would happen if it was the 3” SM.

Do you have any updated feeds and speeds?
    Thanks

Nathan

QUOTE=sidetrak06;2162030]So what did you guys think of your new shell mill? I am still loving it and I haven't had any issued with storing it in the ATC during production runs![/QUOTE]

Downloads
    Uploads

Well, finally got mine up and running this weekend.. And boy have I been missing out!

Fast, solid, quiet and a great finish. I have the 2.48" one running all 5 inserts. I feel like I am barely pushing it running 2500 rpm, .003 ipt, 37.5 ipm, no coolant, and .025 DOC (1 pass, vs 2 i was doing with the superfly)

Once I finish this job up and have some free time i'll see how far I can push it, but already seeing a huge improvement.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am running a 3" WOC at 0.055" DOC, 40 IPM and 2500 RPM. The finishing pass is the same recipe with only 0.005" DOC.

Downloads
    Uploads

I just got my 3.15” SM going today.
    Great finish!
    Wish I had thus before I went through (4) superflies

I’ve been doing .035” doc at 2500rpm with coolant
    Are other folks running coolant?

QUOTE=joshetect;2169012]Well, finally got mine up and running this weekend.. And boy have I been missing out!

Fast, solid, quiet and a great finish. I have the 2.48" one running all 5 inserts. I feel like I am barely pushing it running 2500 rpm, .003 ipt, 37.5 ipm, no coolant, and .025 DOC (1 pass, vs 2 i was doing with the superfly)

Once I finish this job up and have some free time i'll see how far I can push it, but already seeing a huge improvement.[/QUOTE]

Downloads
    Uploads

Update- Ran my new 3.15” face mill at 20ipm without coolant for several hours and the finish is probably a tad better than with coolant plus there is no fine mist created from the coolant.

Quote Originally Posted by CadRhino View Post
    I just got my 3.15” SM going today.
    Great finish!
    Wish I had thus before I went through (4) superflies

I’ve been doing .035” doc at 2500rpm with coolant
    Are other folks running coolant?

QUOTE=joshetect;2169012]Well, finally got mine up and running this weekend.. And boy have I been missing out!

Once I finish this job up and have some free time i'll see how far I can push it, but already seeing a huge improvement.
    [/QUOTE]

Downloads
    Uploads

yup, I prefer to run without coolant too. Just as you said, slightly better finish and no mess from the coolant.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

What RPM and DOC/WOC were you using?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by CadRhino View Post
    Update- Ran my new 3.15” face mill at 20ipm without coolant for several hours and the finish is probably a tad better than with coolant plus there is no fine mist created from the coolant.

[/QUOTE]

Downloads
    Uploads

What RPM and DOC/WOC were you using?

Thanks!
    [/QUOTE]

2500 rpm, 20 ipm, .035”doc, 2” wide stock

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi folks,

I am willing to try Shell Mill 45deg X 3.15 dia on my Tormach 770 series 3. How can I fit Maritool Shell Mill to a Tormach TTS-1/2 in. Shell Mill Arbor as TTS is compatible with shell mills only 1/2 in. R8 arbors whereas Shell mill has 1.00 inch arbor hole?
    I also have an ATC.

https://www.maritool.com/p665/Shell-...duct_info.html
    https://tormach.com/tts-shell-mill-a...2in-31830.html

Thanks very much

@mega128 I think people are using a 3/4" shank like this: https://www.shars.com/3-4x1-face-shell-mill-tool-holder

Along with this collar ring: https://tormach.com/tts-collar-32432.html

The collar ring slides over the shank (light press fit), et voilà, a 3/4" tts holder with a 1" arbor hole

You may have to turn/grind down the end of it; not sure. I'll be trying this in the near future

Or I might try the import route first; there's a seller on aliexpress that sells a TTS holder with a 22 mm arbor for like 20 bucks, and a 3" shell mill to go with it for another 35 bucks

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ikbendusan View Post
    Or I might try the import route first; there's a seller on aliexpress that sells a TTS holder with a 22 mm arbor for like 20 bucks, and a 3" shell mill to go with it for another 35 bucks
    Are you referring to these:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...29de4c4dEBPxaa

I ordered one around 3 months ago and I was so impressed that I ordered a second as you can see.

2” facemill recomendations-shellmillarbor-jpg

Unfortunately the shell mill, ordered from a different company, got lost in the post and I just received a refund at the weekend. Which shell mill were you looking at?
    Step

Downloads
    Uploads

FWIW I purchased 50mm and 63mm shell mills from eBay. See 291765864789 for the 63mm but I don't see the listing for the 50mm one. I use both daily for aluminum on my 770 with two SEHT inserts (the same insert as the SuperFly) and get an excellent finish. Search for "seht1204 50mm" (no quotes) and choose one with a steel rather than aluminum body.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast