Tormach 2200 Professional CNC - your dream list - Page 4

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tormach 2200 Professional CNC - your dream list

Downloads
    Uploads

+1
    Maybe tormach can sell a ‘white glove’ version of their machines that they personally tune up and tweak to meet rigorous specs and qc

Quote Originally Posted by CNCer__ View Post
    I'll add one important thing to all these nice ideas and wishlists - a serious and reliable QUALITY CONTROL. So far it's a great design with well balanced price/performance ratio but Chinese production with Chinese QC.

Downloads
    Uploads

Good point

QUOTE=mountaindew;2161270]Comparing Tormach with Haas is pointless. It's like comparing a go-kart to an F1 race car.
    That is the point for me only in reverse. What I enjoy the most with the this system is how fast I go from art to precision part with little effort "after steep learning curve of course" is so cool.[/QUOTE]

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Tormach 2200 Professional CNC - your dream list

10 year anniversary iso factory edition

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by syscore View Post
    I doubt that they are working on something bigger. They would need servos (to get around something bigger fast enough), 3-Phase (to cut something bigger fast enough), etc. You can't just scale one aspect. Most of us probably picked the Tormach to avoid something bigger, more expensive, and requiring 3-phase. Before you know it, you are getting close to a Haas TM. There are a few bigger mills out there (like the MX200), but I went with Tormach because they have been building and supporting the same series for over 10 years. It seemed that the others weren't as long-lasting in this space. And I wanted it to fit in my garage and not require 3-Phase. If there were anything I would want on the 1100, it would be faster and more coolant. The coolanr is easily doable, but faster probably requires a bunch of changes.

The current Tormach machines use relatively small stepper motors (around 600oz nema 23). You could double or triple the size of the motors without needing servos or anything 3ph. AT sells 2800oz steppers, for example, and they don't need 3ph power (which is not really a problem anyway).

Also, Tormach machines only move the table so travel could probably be increased without needing a motor upgrade at all. If a motor upgrade was required, it would be cheap. The current motors aren't even close to being maxed out though.

On a seperate but related point, these machines bolt together. It's not that difficult to replace any components that need to be switched out for a specific upgrade if the machine is designed to be modular. They do that on the small LMS machines to an extent. I.e. You can switch out the column for more rigid ones and upgrade the travel and table size etc.

We all have our own needs and opinions and they change over time which is why a modular and upgradable design makes sense. It's not uncommon for small volume hobby parts to develop into a low volume small business and then full on production. This is the space Tormach claims to be in.

There are no technical challenges that can't be overcome relatively easily for any of the things people here said they wanted in a new machine.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have a Tormach PCNC 1100 Series 2 running the Mach III operating system. Granted, my Tormach only has 1.5 horsepower, rapids at about 90 IPM and only has a 5,140 RPM spindle, but I’m here to tell ya, I can do “ANYTHING” on my Tormach that you can do on a Haas, Mazak, Mori Seiki or any other high dollar 3 axis CNC mill, it’s just gonna take me a little longer.

True, I only have 18 inches of X axis travel, and I only have 9 inches of Y axis and 16 inches of Z axis travel, but if I can’t hold 6 parts in one hand, they’re too big for me anyway.

BUT, I can cut 718 Inconel and 6AL4V titanium. Actually, I would rather cut Inconel and titanium anyway because for the same size parts as I make in aluminum for $10.00, I can get $50.00 for an Inconel part.

And aluminum chips are worth 45 cents per pound, Inconel is worth about $4.00.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    I have a Tormach PCNC 1100 Series 2 running the Mach III operating system. Granted, my Tormach only has 1.5 horsepower, rapids at about 90 IPM and only has a 5,140 RPM spindle, but I’m here to tell ya, I can do “ANYTHING” on my Tormach that you can do on a Haas, Mazak, Mori Seiki or any other high dollar 3 axis CNC mill, it’s just gonna take me a little longer.

True, I only have 18 inches of X axis travel, and I only have 9 inches of Y axis and 16 inches of Z axis travel, but if I can’t hold 6 parts in one hand, they’re too big for me anyway.

BUT, I can cut 718 Inconel and 6AL4V titanium. Actually, I would rather cut Inconel and titanium anyway because for the same size parts as I make in aluminum for $10.00, I can get $50.00 for an Inconel part.

And aluminum chips are worth 45 cents per pound, Inconel is worth about $4.00.
    There is plenty you can't do on a Tormach that you can do on more expensive machines. If you wanted to make an aluminum or steel part that is 20" long or more, your machine is maxed out. If you wanted to start a business, that speed limitation is going to be a hinderance unless you can make money on 3 parts a day. If you needed real precision to do some micro-lens cylinder engraving, you don't have the accuracy or spindle speed. You also can't take full advantage of the high speed milling opportunities afforded by modern coated end mills.

Now, that doesn't mean that a Tormach mill can't do anything you need it to but.... you can't speak for everyone. It certainly doesn't do what I (and some others) need.

It is expected that $30,000 to $500,000 VMCs will have a superior capability set than a $7,000 hobby mill but that doesn't mean that Tormach shouldn't be able to offer a little more travel or a larger motor for an appropriate extra fee for those that need it. There is a gap in the market that Tormach could fill quite nicely imo.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Goemon View Post
    There is plenty you can't do on a Tormach that you can do on more expensive machines. If you wanted to make an aluminum or steel part that is 20" long or more, your machine is maxed out. If you wanted to start a business, that speed limitation is going to be a hinderance unless you can make money on 3 parts a day. If you needed real precision to do some micro-lens cylinder engraving, you don't have the accuracy or spindle speed. You also can't take full advantage of the high speed milling opportunities afforded by modern coated end mills.

Now, that doesn't mean that a Tormach mill can't do anything you need it to but.... you can't speak for everyone. It certainly doesn't do what I (and some others) need.

It is expected that $30,000 to $500,000 VMCs will have a superior capability set than a $7,000 hobby mill but that doesn't mean that Tormach shouldn't be able to offer a little more travel or a larger motor for an appropriate extra fee for those that need it. There is a gap in the market that Tormach could fill quite nicely imo.
    Yep, you missed to point of a Tormach and I guess all those guys making a living running them are lying to us about it.

RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use. It never ends.
    PCNC1100 Series II, w/S3 upgrade, PDB, ATC & 4th's, PCNC1100 Series II, ATC, 4th

Downloads
    Uploads

I did this 30x12 part on my 1100 a few years ago. 4 setups on each side.
    Tormach 2200 Professional CNC - your dream list-img_1859-jpg

A larger work area would make it a simple 2 setup job.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by R.DesJardin View Post
    Yep, you missed to point of a Tormach and I guess all those guys making a living running them are lying to us about it.
    I didn't miss anything. You said the Tormach machines can do anything you can do on a Haas or Seiki etc. You are just wrong on that and the fact that some people use them to make a small living doesn't make you correct. They are a hobby / prototype machine and that's how they are marketed.

The idea that people are paying $30,000 - $500,000 for VMCs when they could have done everything on a $7000 Tormach is ridiculous.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Goemon View Post
    I didn't miss anything. You said the Tormach machines can do anything you can do on a Haas or Seiki etc. You are just wrong on that and the fact that some people use them to make a small living doesn't make you correct. They are a hobby / prototype machine and that's how they are marketed.

The idea that people are paying $30,000 - $500,000 for VMCs when they could have done everything on a $7000 Tormach is ridiculous.
    As a former owner of a FADAL and a HAAS and now a 7 year owner of a Tormach PCNC 1100 I have to completely disagree with your statement that I can’t do anything on my Tormach that you can do on a Haas or any of those other high dollar machines.

I CAN do anything on my Tormach that you can do on those other machines, it’s just going to take longer because those other machines have 15 to 30 horsepower and my Tormach has 1,5.

You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by IMT View Post
    I did this 30x12 part on my 1100 a few years ago. 4 setups on each side.
    Tormach 2200 Professional CNC - your dream list-img_1859-jpg

A larger work area would make it a simple 2 setup job.
    Beautiful!

Downloads
    Uploads

Dang! That part is too big for the camera.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

Tormachs are quite capable but the tolerances and precision are not as good as a non-cast iron professional Cnc.

UOTE=Steve Seebold;2165728]As a former owner of a FADAL and a HAAS and now a 7 year owner of a Tormach PCNC 1100 I have to completely disagree with your statement that I can’t do anything on my Tormach that you can do on a Haas or any of those other high dollar machines.

I CAN do anything on my Tormach that you can do on those other machines, it’s just going to take longer because those other machines have 15 to 30 horsepower and my Tormach has 1,5.[/QUOTE]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    As a former owner of a FADAL and a HAAS and now a 7 year owner of a Tormach PCNC 1100 I have to completely disagree with your statement that I can’t do anything on my Tormach that you can do on a Haas or any of those other high dollar machines.

I CAN do anything on my Tormach that you can do on those other machines, it’s just going to take longer because those other machines have 15 to 30 horsepower and my Tormach has 1,5.
    ...ignoring precision, backlash, squareness, z-axis repeatability, finish and all these "unimportant" factors ...pleaseeee

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CNCer__ View Post
    ...ignoring precision, backlash, squareness, z-axis repeatability, finish and all these "unimportant" factors ...pleaseeee
    & rigidity

Downloads
    Uploads

Your Tormach is as good as you are.
    If it isn't square, then square it up!
    If it doesn't repeat, then identify what's happening and find a solution.
    Find out how to achieve the precision you need, and find out what precision you really need.
    If your machine is properly set up then backlash shouldn't be an issue if you understand how to handle it (see also precision and repeatability).

Buying a better machine won't make anyone a better machinist. Its like buying a 50MP camera expecting it to make you a great photographer - it won't happen.
    Step

Downloads
    Uploads

=TurboStep;2165800]Your Tormach is as good as you are.
    Find out how to achieve the precision you need, and find out what precision you really need.
    If your machine is properly set up then backlash shouldn't be an issue if you understand how to handle it (see also precision and repeatability).

Buying a better machine won't make anyone a better machinist. Its like buying a 50MP camera expecting it to make you a great photographer - it won't happen.
    Step[/QUOTE]

Last edited by CadRhino; 03-24-2018 at 04:28 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by TurboStep View Post
    Your Tormach is as good as you are.

Step
    You mean it's a quite tricky DIY kit, not a finished machine? Well, the assemblies still suffer from the lack of precision. So your Tormach is as good as good is your luck with receiving correctly made to spec. components.

Downloads
    Uploads

I see a lot of dumb arguments going on here like how a tormach can do anything a 500k vmc can.
    Obviously it can’t and it doesn’t matter because that’s not it’s purpose. It’s here as a cheap starter machine that can do lots of small work. Also my fadal is single phase from the factory with 7.5hp. I think tormach could definitely fill a niche by providing a machine with linear rails, just a bit more travel, servos, bt30 or 40, a real atc, rigid tap and 5hp. And I think they could do it for 20k or less depending how much China sourcing they do.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

hello good morning, I had a leadshine engine like the one that appears in the photo, the supplier tells me that it is not possible anymore.buy a new engine and the only difference in the red box that stands out. the engine does not work for meThey tell me it's a power tool from the pines in the motor cable. can anybody help me?
    hello good morning, I had a leadshine engine like the one that appears in the photo, the supplier tells me that it is not possible anymore.buy a new engine and the only difference in the red box that stands out. the engine does not work for meThey tell me it's a power tool from the pines in the motor cable. can anybody help me?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast