Tormach 2200 Professional CNC - your dream list - Page 3

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tormach 2200 Professional CNC - your dream list

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Tormach 2200 Professional CNC - your dream list

Do manufactures warrantee the machines when a 3 phase converter is used for power supply? 10+years ago I was told NO! One of the main factors in my choice to buy new and a Tormach.

Downloads
    Uploads

The ones that sell them with their machines do.

QUOTE=mountaindew;2155286]Do manufactures warrantee the machines when a 3 phase converter is used for power supply? 10+years ago I was told NO! One of the main factors in my choice to buy new and a Tormach.[/QUOTE]

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CadRhino View Post
    The ones that sell them with their machines do.

QUOTE=mountaindew;2155286]Do manufactures warrantee the machines when a 3 phase converter is used for power supply? 10+years ago I was told NO! One of the main factors in my choice to buy new and a Tormach.
    [/QUOTE]

Good info to know. Never noticed one that was packaged with their cnc machine system. As for running a Bridge Port or any manual machine on a converter, who cares! Other then your powering a motor to make power for a motor.

Downloads
    Uploads

What the heck - if I were to ask for a *2200* from Tormach it wouldn't be much larger than the 1100...but would have 2hp spindle with encoder, >200 IPM rapids, and 20 station ATC.

But I'd just get another 1100 most likely...

WW

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by coffeetek View Post
    I don't think they have any chance or space in "Professional" market. These are simply not professional level machines reliability wise. Its not professional level support. When you have machine which you rely on to make money daily you don't want to be fiddling around to fix it, wait on parts, wait on email replies, wait on callbacks and go on like that for days and days in circles. You need stuff fixed by service technician, today or tomorrow.
    This is funny stuff right there. Apparently you have never dealt with the two week plus wait for a Haas tech to show up just to setup the machine and the two week wait for him to get parts so he can come back. I know a guy with a half million dollar Makino that sat for two months before it could be ran. Just a couple examples, I know of many more. Tormach by far has the best and quickest support of anything way more expensive. I've been in the machining industry since 1990. Tormach wins. I have talked to Tormach owners that have ran their machine 40hrs a week for years. I can replace any part on a Tormach myself, they are not complicated. They are not big, not fast, but they sure as heck can make you money with minimal investment. Not sure why people can't reply to answer the question and not reply if they add nothing to the content.

RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use. It never ends.
    PCNC1100 Series II, w/S3 upgrade, PDB, ATC & 4th's, PCNC1100 Series II, ATC, 4th

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by R.DesJardin View Post
    This is funny stuff right there. Apparently you have never dealt with the two week plus wait for a Haas tech to show up just to setup the machine and the two week wait for him to get parts so he can come back. I know a guy with a half million dollar Makino that sat for two months before it could be ran. Just a couple examples, I know of many more. Tormach by far has the best and quickest support of anything way more expensive. I've been in the machining industry since 1990. Tormach wins. I have talked to Tormach owners that have ran their machine 40hrs a week for years. I can replace any part on a Tormach myself, they are not complicated. They are not big, not fast, but they sure as heck can make you money with minimal investment. Not sure why people can't reply to answer the question and not reply if they add nothing to the content.
    Lets just say that has not been my experience and I have two Tormach machines and a Haas mill... I would never buy Tormach for professional use.

Dennis

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice. Which model HAAS do you have? How do you like it? Has it been reliable for you?

QUOTE=coffeetek;2155742]Lets just say that has not been my experience and I have two Tormach machines and a Haas mill... I would never buy Tormach for professional use.[/QUOTE]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CadRhino View Post
    Nice. Which model HAAS do you have? How do you like it? Has it been reliable for you?
    I have new Haas Mini Mill. Love it, no problems so far, works great. Its pumping out the parts.

Dennis

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by coffeetek View Post
    I have new Haas Mini Mill. Love it, no problems so far, works great. Its pumping out the parts.
    Very nice. I’m tentatively looking at this for a next ‘professional’ grade mill.
    How long have you owned it?
    That seems like the next step up beyond the 1100.
    What difference have you found between the two mills?
    Has it been more ‘reliable’ and accurate than the 1100?
    Has the haas carousel ATC been reliable?
    How is the accuracy?
    In general, what aspects of the haas mm make it more of a ‘professional mill over the 1100?
    Also, what cam program do you use?
    Thank you
    Nathan

Downloads
    Uploads

Too bad a topic can't stay focused and comments were actually related to the original intent. But it never seems to happen.

RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use. It never ends.
    PCNC1100 Series II, w/S3 upgrade, PDB, ATC & 4th's, PCNC1100 Series II, ATC, 4th

Downloads
    Uploads

At least the last few posts are relevant to the original topic. The sidetrack about ER tool holders was annoying.

Downloads
    Uploads

Comparing Tormach with Haas is pointless. It's like comparing a go-kart to an F1 race car. One is clearly meant for the hobby market and the other is entry-level pro.

The thing that put me off Tormach products and every other hobby level mill is the limited travel. Just because you are making something for hobby use doesn't mean it will be tiny small. Lots of sporting goods, for example, are 30" or longer.

The 770 is one of the few hobby level CNC mills with a spindle that is fast enough for aluminum but it's only available with a tiny work envelope and a weak motor. It would be nice to have the option to upgrade the X travel and the motor.

At this point Mr "I've been milling for 20 years" usually feels the need to point out that a larger motor requires greater rigidity and that people managed fine with 1 hp on old Bridgeport mills. This point is less relavent on the 770 though. Old Bridgeport mills max out at 3000rpm and 1hp can produce some nice torque at low speeds. At 10,000 rpm a 1hp motor only delivers .5 ft lb of torque. You get more on your average 2.2kw router spindle. It's nothing. That frame could easily tolerate a larger motor and the difference in price between a 1hp and a 2 or 3hp motor is tiny.

Instead of a another model, I'd like to see them streamline to one modular and upgradable platform. The motor, the spindle taper, spindle speed, table size, controller, motors and amount of travel should all be selectable options so it can be specified based on the owners needs and budget. It should also be easy to upgrade so it grows with your needs.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I doubt that they are working on something bigger. They would need servos (to get around something bigger fast enough), 3-Phase (to cut something bigger fast enough), etc. You can't just scale one aspect. Most of us probably picked the Tormach to avoid something bigger, more expensive, and requiring 3-phase. Before you know it, you are getting close to a Haas TM. There are a few bigger mills out there (like the MX200), but I went with Tormach because they have been building and supporting the same series for over 10 years. It seemed that the others weren't as long-lasting in this space. And I wanted it to fit in my garage and not require 3-Phase. If there were anything I would want on the 1100, it would be faster and more coolant. The coolanr is easily doable, but faster probably requires a bunch of changes.

Downloads
    Uploads

Comparing Tormach with Haas is pointless. It's like comparing a go-kart to an F1 race car.
    That is the point for me only in reverse. What I enjoy the most with the this system is how fast I go from art to precision part with little effort "after steep learning curve of course" is so cool.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'll add one important thing to all these nice ideas and wishlists - a serious and reliable QUALITY CONTROL. So far it's a great design with well balanced price/performance ratio but Chinese production with Chinese QC.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by syscore View Post
    I doubt that they are working on something bigger. They would need servos (to get around something bigger fast enough), 3-Phase (to cut something bigger fast enough), etc. You can't just scale one aspect. Most of us probably picked the Tormach to avoid something bigger, more expensive, and requiring 3-phase. Before you know it, you are getting close to a Haas TM. There are a few bigger mills out there (like the MX200), but I went with Tormach because they have been building and supporting the same series for over 10 years. It seemed that the others weren't as long-lasting in this space. And I wanted it to fit in my garage and not require 3-Phase. If there were anything I would want on the 1100, it would be faster and more coolant. The coolanr is easily doable, but faster probably requires a bunch of changes.
    Totally agree. For me three phase isn't a huge problem since I use RPC for my 14x40. For me the problem would be powering a 15+ hp motor.. Yes, the stock cooling system is a joke. My cheap solution was a sump pump in a Tupperware tank and 1" id tubing feeding three Loc-Lines. Less then $100 and it allows some serious flood cooling. Rigid threading would be nice.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by syscore View Post
    I doubt that they are working on something bigger. They would need servos (to get around something bigger fast enough), 3-Phase (to cut something bigger fast enough), etc. You can't just scale one aspect. Most of us probably picked the Tormach to avoid something bigger, more expensive, and requiring 3-phase. Before you know it, you are getting close to a Haas TM...
    Haas TM has a 7.5hp motor running on Single phase. A machine targeted at the gap between a TM and the 1100 doesn't need to go faster and doesn't need to cut faster (than the 1100), just needs to make bigger parts without having to do 4 setups on each side. A 3hp 10000rpm spindle and servos with 400ipm rapids would be nice upgrades but not really necessary.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by IMT View Post
    Haas TM has a 7.5hp motor running on Single phase. A machine targeted at the gap between a TM and the 1100 doesn't need to go faster and doesn't need to cut faster (than the 1100), just needs to make bigger parts without having to do 4 setups on each side. A 3hp 10000rpm spindle and servos with 400ipm rapids would be nice upgrades but not really necessary.
    That is pretty neat that you can run a TM-1 on single phase. I guess I could see the need for more workspace, but wouldn't a PCNC in between an 1100 and a TM1 (which weighs 4,000 lbs) weigh at least twice as much as an 1100 and require servos (or much bigger steppers) just to keep up with 1100 speeds and all of that extra weight?

Comparing a kart to Formula 1 car is actually a good bit more reasonable than comparing the vast majority of race cars to a formula 1 car, so it's a pretty poor analogy.

How hard can it be to upgrade a 1100 to servos and a 10k Spindle? Probably not that hard.

Downloads
    Uploads

......+ replicable linear ways.

QUOTE=CL_MotoTech;2161808]Comparing a kart to Formula 1 car is actually a good bit more reasonable than comparing the vast majority of race cars to a formula 1 car, so it's a pretty poor analogy.

How hard can it be to upgrade a 1100 to servos and a 10k Spindle? Probably not that hard.[/QUOTE]

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast