I made a small change in my plan

Thread: I made a small change in my plan

Downloads
    Uploads

Default I made a small change in my plan

I mentioned earlier I had ordered a Haas VF3 and a ST10 lathe.

Well, the lathe is still a go but I have changer the order for the mill.

I canceled the VF3 and instead I’m going to get 2 DT1 Mills.

I changed my order because the parts o make are small, and I know me. If I have a big machine I’ll take in big work.

I mentioned before that I make running gear for remote control race boats and the parts for those are pretty small. Actually, with a couple of exceptions, if I can’t hold 6 parts in one hand then they are too big for me.

The DT1’s are cool. The have 15,000 RPM spindles, they rapid at 2500 IPM, they change tools in 1.8 seconds chip to chip, they’ll rigid tap 8-32 and 10-32 holes at 5,000 RPM.

I don’t get my building till February 1st so now I have a little breathing room so I can take an RV trip in January. Both of my sons moved to the Boise area in Idaho this year so now I have a little time to go see where the moved to.

I won’t be moving there. My oldest son sent me pictures of 8 inches of fresh snow on the ground and I “LIVE” in shorts and tee shirts. I haven’t worn long pants in 15 years and I don’t intend to start any time soon. Besides, Boise is too high for me.

I spent Christmas with my brother at 2,700 feet and after 5 days with my rebuilt heart at that altitude, I was having difficulty just breathing. So living in Boise is out for me.

I’ll keep you posted as to the progress of SEEBOLD MOTOR SPORTS.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: I made a small change in my plan

Nice. Good to see you making long term plans. They can be the best medicine. Have been for me with an aortic valve from a pig and no prostate gland whatsoever.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Those DT1 mills are quick.
    You are going to be a busy guy.

to lazy to chase arrows

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by oneineight View Post
    Those DT1 mills are quick.
    You are going to be a busy guy.
    I hope so.

You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Downloads
    Uploads

Sounds good, Steve.
    Look forward to seeing the plans come in as planned. Those machines are designed for speed. No doubt about that.

Lee

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Very nice, I envy you :-) I wish I had space for ST10 and one or two VFs.

Dennis

Downloads
    Uploads

Interesting that you're going for the DT1. In your original thread about this I asked why you chose a VF3 over the DT1 and ... you didn't even respond to the question.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/tormac...ml#post2129130

Best of luck with you're expanding endeavor.

Downloads
    Uploads

I did consider the DT1 and the TMs some as well before I ordered the MM. It came down to smaller tooling and more money were the main detractors and not requiring such high speed for the DT1's. Either one of those would have still worked very well for us, but then I consider the MM a perfect fit too.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by IMT View Post
    Interesting that you're going for the DT1. In your original thread about this I asked why you chose a VF3 over the DT1 and ... you didn't even respond to the question.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/tormac...ml#post2129130

Best of luck with you're expanding endeavor.
    I apologize for not replying to your question. I decided to go with the DT1’s because in the space required for a VF-3, I can almost fit 2 DT1’s and the DT1’s are way faster than the VF-3.

Another reason I went with the DT1’s is if I had taken the VF-3, knowing me, I would start looking for larger aerospace work and I don’t want to work that hard any more.

Like I said earlier, if I can’t hold a half dozen parts in one hand, they’re too big for me. Plus the paperwork required in the aerospace industry is a real pain in the a$$.

I sold a medical device that I have been working on for the last 10 years and now I have the money to pay cash for all the machinery and I’m probably going to buy a building to put it all in as well.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    I did consider the DT1 and the TMs some as well before I ordered the MM. It came down to smaller tooling and more money were the main detractors and not requiring such high speed for the DT1's. Either one of those would have still worked very well for us, but then I consider the MM a perfect fit too.
    I had a TM-1 when I had my shop. I have told my wife if I had it to over again, I would have taken some of the money I got when I sold my FADAL, paid off my Haas and brought it home. It was a way better machine than my Tormach.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my Tormach.

The biggest reason I went back to Haas is the way I was treated when I had to send my TM-1 back.

I owed a little over $14,000.00 when I sent it back, Haas took it back and sold it for $22,000.00. They took $2,000.00 off the top, paid off my loan and sent me almost $6,000.00.

Had that been a bank, they would have auctioned off my machine gfor what ever they could get and come after me for the difference.

Plus, as I have said in a he past, if you run a Haas the way they are designed to be run, you can’t beatem’.

You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    Plus, as I have said in a he past, if you run a Haas the way they are designed to be run, you can’t beatem’.
    I'd love if you could elaborate on this bit more please.

Dennis

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by coffeetek View Post
    I'd love if you could elaborate on this bit more please.
    The Haas 40 taper machines are not designed to put a 1 inch cutter in and go balls to the wall in steel. The Haas is a great machine for cutting aluminum or most other non ferris material. If you try to do heavy steel cutting in a Haas, you will destroy the machine.

Last edited by Steve Seebold; 01-04-2018 at 05:48 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

I apologize for not replying to your question. I decided to go with the DT1’s because...
    No problem Steve. I was looking forward to a dialog on the pros and cons of a small fast machine like the DT1 vs a bigger slower (relatively) machine from someone who put their own $$ on the decision.
    Thanks for responding and good luck.

Downloads
    Uploads

The Haas 40 taper machines are not designed to put a 1 inch cutter in and go balls to the wall in steel. The Haas is a great machine for cutting aluminum or most other non ferris material. If you try to do heavy steel cutting in a Haas, you will destroy the machine.
    Haas machines use linear ball rails which are not as rigid as sliding boxed ways. Not that you cannot be productive cutting steel, you just have to take a different approach. Lighter cuts at higher speed instead of heavy cuts at lower speed. Modern CAM software makes this easier than it used to be.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by IMT View Post
    Haas machines use linear ball rails which are not as rigid as sliding boxed ways. Not that you cannot be productive cutting steel, you just have to take a different approach. Lighter cuts at higher speed instead of heavy cuts at lower speed. Modern CAM software makes this easier than it used to be.
    I have been a GibbsCam user since about1999. Great CAM software. Easy to learn and easy to use. But expensive. I think I spent a total of about $18,000.00 but I have 3, 4 and 5 axis mill, multi axis lathe and wire edm.

Last edited by Steve Seebold; 01-05-2018 at 11:51 AM.