Come on Tormach - We Want a Mini Slant Pro

Thread: Come on Tormach - We Want a Mini Slant Pro

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Come on Tormach - We Want a Mini Slant Pro

So I'm about to order a Rapid Turn (as soon as stock comes in). This is because I cannot justify $20k for a Slant Pro, which got me thinking.....

Wouldn't a Mini Slant Pro pair pretty nicely with a PCNC 440? Seems with the guts of Rapid Turn, paired with a 440 and say a 5 tool changer and you would have a nice little baby Slant Pro in that $8k range.

My other thought is to purchase a PCNC 770 (I already have a full blown 1100) to mount the RT on and it act basically as a full time turning center. However, I'd then have a backup to my 1100 and have a unit with 10,000 RPM spindle.

Unless I'm missing something, there's nothing out there in the $8k range. I also own an Emco PC Turn 105 (purchased right before RT was announced). This was replaced with the Emco Concept Turn (I think 120). The problem with Emco is that if you sneeze on the German
    machine, the replacement parts are $500 just to wipe the snot off. If I'd known RT was in the works, I'd held off on buying the Emco.

Thoughts anyone?

Later,
    Awall

Similar Threads:
    Awall - The Body Armor Dude
    CoolCNCStuff_ on Instagram - CoolCNCStuff.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Come on Tormach - We Want a Mini Slant Pro

If you were going to fully dedicate the 770 to turning how about mounting an InTurn to it and having a real beast? If you paired it with a good size motor it would be around as powerful as a slant pro with real 4th axis milling as a bonus. Should be doable for around 8k if you already have all the stuff for the 1100. Come on be a guinea pig.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Advil View Post
    Come on be a guinea pig.
    Ummmmm, that's how I ended up with an Emco PC Turn 105. My gutting of the internals to new servos and Path Pilot did not go so well. Anyone looking for a ton of servo stuff to upgrade a lathe? Evidently you have to be computer smart to do this conversion :-).

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah I would buy a mini slant pro. Can't afford the current one and not sure if I want the rapid turn yet.
    But a mini slant pro would be perfect.

Sent from my SM-A320Y using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Labern View Post
    Yeah I would buy a mini slant pro. Can't afford the current one and not sure if I want the rapid turn yet.
    But a mini slant pro would be perfect.

I wouldn't hold my breath on that one unless about 500 other guys tell Tormach the same thing. They tried that with the Duality lathe which was just a 500.00 mini lathe you had hoist onto the mill. If you really want a mini cnc lathe, just buy a mini lathe and convert it yourself with another 500-or so in cnc stuff, but remember it will still just be a mini lathe. Or take the plunge and buy one direct from China-

SP2138 mini cnc lathe machine with mach3 controller system - China SP2138 mini cnc lathe machine with mach3 controller system Supplier,Factory ?SUMORE MACHINERY

Downloads
    Uploads

Actually I would like them to come out with a larger lathe.

Beefier headstock, linear ways, faster rapids.

Tim
    Tormach 1100-3 mill, Grizzly G0709 lathe, PM935 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

I don't want a mini-slant, I wish they would lower the price of the Slant Pro!!
    A bare-bones model with gang tooling plate is pushing $14,000.
    After adding in all of the necessary equipment. Chuck, monitor, keyboard, control, pathpilot, lifting kit, 4 toolholders, chip pan, etc. etc. etc...
    I'm still on the fence. That's a LOT of money for a 3 HP lathe!

Downloads
    Uploads

Tim,
    How much do you think that Sumore SP2138?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads

The price is not mini, USD 4000 ... just like chinese cnc lathe full size ...

Downloads
    Uploads

Agree. 20K is a bit much as an entry point unless it will make money. 8-10K, now, that I'd buy. No worse than other serious guy hobbies (I really like comparisons to a boat). With a decent manual lathe, I can't come close to justifying a Slant-pro. And the footprint is a push, too.

Tormach has been built on the 10K-ish entry point for CNC. Good enough at a price in range of the prototype shop and serious home shop.

Maybe we can start a petition....

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jdclark View Post
    I wouldn't hold my breath on that one unless about 500 other guys tell Tormach the same thing. They tried that with the Duality lathe which was just a 500.00 mini lathe you had hoist onto the mill. If you really want a mini cnc lathe, just buy a mini lathe and convert it yourself with another 500-or so in cnc stuff, but remember it will still just be a mini lathe. Or take the plunge and buy one direct from China-

SP2138 mini cnc lathe machine with mach3 controller system - China SP2138 mini cnc lathe machine with mach3 controller system Supplier,Factory ?SUMORE MACHINERY
    Hadn't seen the SP2138. Wouldn't touch it. 150 WATT motor? Buy a Sherline. (Actually, a Sherline would probably work as a Duality replacement). But in any case, those aren't serious machine tools. Not rigid enough, not enough power for anything but very light duty, and the risk of Chinese quality/support makes it a nonstarter for me.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jdclark View Post

Ummmmm... they created Rapid Turn in response to the lacking of the Duality Lathe....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I also think a stand alone lathe is a different market to rapid turn or duality lathe.

Quote Originally Posted by smokediver576 View Post
    Ummmmm, that's how I ended up with an Emco PC Turn 105. My gutting of the internals to new servos and Path Pilot did not go so well. Anyone looking for a ton of servo stuff to upgrade a lathe? Evidently you have to be computer smart to do this conversion :-).
    Any chance you still have this stuff you want to sell?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by snowgoer540 View Post
    Any chance you still have this stuff you want to sell?
    PM me your email - yes, I have a ton of stuff for sale as a package. $1,500 for everything (shipping extra based on where you are located) shown in the photos.Attachment 424728Come on Tormach - We Want a Mini Slant Pro-img_20190115_093551138-jpgCome on Tormach - We Want a Mini Slant Pro-img_20190115_093230303-jpgCome on Tormach - We Want a Mini Slant Pro-img_20190115_093637771-jpgCome on Tormach - We Want a Mini Slant Pro-img_20190115_093419366-jpgCome on Tormach - We Want a Mini Slant Pro-img_20190115_093820405-jpgCome on Tormach - We Want a Mini Slant Pro-img_20190115_093732106-jpg

For some reason it double posted the picture of the motors. There are only the two motors as part of the deal.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Come on Tormach - We Want a Mini Slant Pro-img_20190115_093223931-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Come on Tormach - We Want a Mini Slant Pro-img_20190115_093809822-jpgCome on Tormach - We Want a Mini Slant Pro-img_20190115_093339529-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Come on Tormach - We Want a Mini Slant Pro-img_20190115_093843949-1280x720-jpg   Come on Tormach - We Want a Mini Slant Pro-img_20190115_093853753-1280x720-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

smaller lathe makes no sense. 90% of the cost is all the ancillary stuff, not the core hardware. Might save a few grand for a lot less machine. Lathe is not nearly as popular as a mill either, so the business case is weak to begin with. I cnc'd my own machine with servos which was ok, but I do like the Tormach one and will get one eventually.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by GLCarlson View Post
    Hadn't seen the SP2138. Wouldn't touch it. 150 WATT motor? Buy a Sherline. (Actually, a Sherline would probably work as a Duality replacement). But in any case, those aren't serious machine tools. Not rigid enough, not enough power for anything but very light duty, and the risk of Chinese quality/support makes it a nonstarter for me.
    Sounds a bit garbage for the price tag.
    Can get a manual 550w mini for £500 ish that's also slightly better spec in sizes and taper. Then add your own cnc bits. Likely to be 10 times better than this thing and be into it for only about a £1000.