Video RAPIDTURN VIDEOS - Page 4

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: RAPIDTURN VIDEOS

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: RAPIDTURN VIDEOS

Well this just blows chunks on the 5C issue. I just sold some stuff today and was getting ready to place my order with Tormach! Saw on their site that they've "sold out" of all the RT units. I checked yesterday and they were all in stock so I'm assuming that they have recognized the issue and are putting a corrective action in place. Please keep us posted either via posting on here or via PM.

Thanks,
    Awall

Awall - The Body Armor Dude
    CoolCNCStuff_ on Instagram - CoolCNCStuff.com "coming soon"

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry to say mine measures the same as Andy's, and it is brand new, still bolted to the bottom of the box. Just purchased last week after they had been out of stock for a while, so I presume that means it's one of the latest batch. Leads me to believe it's a drawing error rather than a manufacturing error.

Terry

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by smokediver576 View Post
    Well this just blows chunks on the 5C issue. I just sold some stuff today and was getting ready to place my order with Tormach! Saw on their site that they've "sold out" of all the RT units. I checked yesterday and they were all in stock so I'm assuming that they have recognized the issue and are putting a corrective action in place. Please keep us posted either via posting on here or via PM.

Thanks,
    Awall

Same here. In fact, it has been removed from my order (which includes an 1100 and all the other accessories). A key planned use for the RapidTurn in my case was to turn a couple bearing races on a 2.5" diameter stainless steel tubes (3/8" wall thickness).. The shafts are 10" or shorter. I also had a use to turn (for cosmetics) stainless steel round bar, 1.25" in diameter and as long as can fit in the 1100 envelope. I have been seriously considering a 12x36 lathe for this as well. Namely a Grizzly 4003G. Should I maybe go with that instead, considering my use? My other turning needs were in aluminum, but the extra swing of the 4003G could be handy, and the work wouldn't tie up the mill.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just measured mine.... 0.011 oversize. Mine was purchased in September of this year. Time to send a note to Tormach.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just measured mine too - 1.2566".

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Has anyone gotten Tormach's take on this yet? And what would be the quick fix?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by syscore View Post
    Has anyone gotten Tormach's take on this yet? And what would be the quick fix?
    I've emailed them yesterday and have still not gotten a response....

Awall - The Body Armor Dude
    CoolCNCStuff_ on Instagram - CoolCNCStuff.com "coming soon"

Downloads
    Uploads

The 5C bore specs via here and youtube postings are coming in as mostly different - so this means a thin wall sleeve pushed in to the bore is not an option.

Not that would have been very durable anyway. This is a real difficult problem.

Keen

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I emailed them and got this response:

RAPIDTURN VIDEOS-tormach-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    The 5C bore specs via here and youtube postings are coming in as mostly different - so this means a thin wall sleeve pushed in to the bore is not an option.

Not that would have been very durable anyway. This is a real difficult problem.

Keen
    So, if you wanted to make your own fix, you would have to turn a mandrel the size of your collet, then bore a tube to fit on the mandrel, and the turn the outside of that tube to fit the inside of the spindle?

Actually, wouldn't attacking the drawbar be easier, by creating a collar that fits tightly between it and the spindle?

I am just asking until there is a permanent fix.

Btw, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Downloads
    Uploads

I suppose that you could bore the Rapidturn spindle enough larger to insert a thick walled sleeve. I haven't checked how much meat is available for enlarging without significantly weakening things. If done on the mill the precise alignment of the spindle and mill axis for boring would be tricky. Doing it on the lathe would require disassembly of the Rapidturn. And the "repair" would surely void your warranty!

Downloads
    Uploads

Steel inserts are used all the time in automotive engines. The key is to be able to get one in there that is thick enough to stay with temperature changed. It will see pretty good temperature swings just from normal use.

Lee

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast