Flood Coolant Mod and Tool holder ideas plus other misc. - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Flood Coolant Mod and Tool holder ideas plus other misc.

Default Re: Flood Coolant Mod and Tool holder ideas plus other misc.

So I finished the coolant manifold late Thursday night. What I thought was going to take 2 hours ended up taking 4 hours, go figure. I had a hard time getting it aligned because of the irregularities in the cast but after messing with it I got it to bolt up nicely. I have a few pictures of it bolted up and ready to use. I also included a video of the 3/4" shear hog in action as I was cutting one of my arms. The last picture shows how the table covers performed and it looks like they did the job keeping chips out so it saved a little time when I cleaned everything up. Now I'm looking at a spray called LPS-3 to coat the table before installing the cover plates and I will probably take my vices off and spray the underside as well. That's about it for now, I'll be looking at upgrading the cooling system this weekend and finish my drawing for the enclosure modification which I will update as soon as I'm done.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flood Coolant Mod and Tool holder ideas plus other misc.-img_3836-jpg   Flood Coolant Mod and Tool holder ideas plus other misc.-img_3837-jpg   Flood Coolant Mod and Tool holder ideas plus other misc.-img_3835-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I've been using this on exposed surfaces and under my vise. Works really well.

CRC 06026 Heavy Duty Corrosion Inhibitor
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jim

Doubleoh9, Thanks for the recommendation. I still haven't picked anything out but I'm getting ready to switch to a different coolant so I will run that for a little while and see how it responds. If I see the same issues with rust forming under my cover plates I will revisit this with a corrosion inhibitor.

In the mean time I am well on my way to upgrading my coolant system. I took my old one out and have a tank and catch pan modified and put together. Will take pictures and post them up tomorrow. I also have my front pan modification out for quote, I already received one quote just waiting for the second vendor and then I will pull the trigger. I will have to cut the front of the original pan before I link them together but it should make for a nice upgrade and a much easier step to making a solid enclosure.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flood Coolant Mod and Tool holder ideas plus other misc.-front-pan-modification-v1-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 84scrambler View Post
    The next upgrade on my list is the coolant tank, going to up the size to about 20 gallons.
    How deep would that be in the trays if the drain got plugged? You might want to ensure that you have a safety drain like in a bath tub so the ball screws don't go for a swim.

As for the enclosure, you can extend the 60/40 about 6 inches to the front of the tray and use a Z shaped piece of sheet metal to block off the opening. One end would just hang over the front lip of the tray and the other would be bolted to the 60/40.

bob

Bob,
    The back of the enclosure has a pass through so If anything ever got clogged it would over flow like a waterfall in the back, I bet that would be exciting. I don't plan on running the screen inside the enclosure so chances of it ever clogging will be almost eliminated. I did attach a few pictures of the tank and my catch pan for chips. I saw this on youtube and so far the only thing I modified was how the screen mounts to the catch pan, I rapid prototyped a flange and am using that to sandwich the screen. So far I like how everything is turning out. I ended up also getting this orange paint tray (the tray collects the coolant from under the mill and directs it into the catch pan on top of the bin) just like the guy did on youtube but I think I will try and upgrade that to something a little better. I also upped my supply hose to a 3/4"id and it barely fit through the pass through into the mill, I really had to fight it to get it through that hole. This might turn out to be a real nice feature as I might not need to do any additional sealing for this hole because the hose will be doing it for me.

In regards to the enclosure, are you talking about lifting the whole pan about an inch and sliding it forward and then sealing it with some bent Z shaped sheet metal?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flood Coolant Mod and Tool holder ideas plus other misc.-img_3879-jpg   Flood Coolant Mod and Tool holder ideas plus other misc.-img_3880-jpg   Flood Coolant Mod and Tool holder ideas plus other misc.-img_3881-jpg   Flood Coolant Mod and Tool holder ideas plus other misc.-img_3882-jpg  

Flood Coolant Mod and Tool holder ideas plus other misc.-img_3883-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

The pan stays as it is. My mill is currently disassembled in a storage container so I can't post a picture of it. However if you look at the Tormach enclosure layout document, you will see what I mean:Direct Document and Software Download | Tormach Inc. providers of personal small CNC machines, CNC tooling, and many more CNC items.

Look at the side view, the enclosure extends 8" forward of the tray. When I did mine, I only came out 6".

bob

So my stainless steel extension was finished yesterday and I was able to do a check fit last night. I had to open up a few holes and get some assistance from a few clamps but overall it came out really nice. I'm pretty sure I know what you were talking about Rowbare but having all of that access in between the mill and the pan is going to be awesome. plus the flat plane that it creates with the existing enclosure will allow me to place z-bar all the way around the perimeter and set my 8020 frame down on that without any issues of leakage and awkward steps to go over. I should be able to clean everything up tonight and get it all siliconed and a final bolt up tonight.

On a side note I also picked up a tungsten carbide ruby tipped probe for my passive probe so I will be setting that up as soon as I button up the pan. I was getting some extremely large errors (I was getting upwards of .003" deviation from nominal in the plus) with my passive probe and that ceramic shaft. Hopefully this can help me tighten up a few things.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flood Coolant Mod and Tool holder ideas plus other misc.-img_3993-jpg   Flood Coolant Mod and Tool holder ideas plus other misc.-img_3996-jpg   Flood Coolant Mod and Tool holder ideas plus other misc.-img_3998-jpg   Flood Coolant Mod and Tool holder ideas plus other misc.-img_3989-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I like your pan mod. Wish tormach had designed them with more room at both the front and back. The overall foot print would not change enough in my opinion and the added access area for cleaning, maintenance and vice and other fixtures would be a big plus. The full enclosure has the extension but it starts on top of the pan. It would be better "hind site" if the pan also had this added extension.
    Anyway good ideas and nice work. No big deal to a person that uses a Jeep model as a name

Downloads
    Uploads

Bob,
    ... I did attach a few pictures of the tank and my catch pan for chips. I saw this on youtube and so far the only thing I modified was how the screen mounts to the catch pan, I rapid prototyped a flange and am using that to sandwich the screen. ...
    I know this is an older thread but any chance you have some more details on that tank or more so on the chip pan (looks like an extra wide paint roller tray...) I did some looking around on youtube but couldn't see anything that looked like it
    Thanks
    M

Found it, for future searchers
    20 gallan tote: http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-27-Gal...
    Plastic Deep-Well Tank Tray: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Linzer-21-...
    Screen: http://www.mcnichols.com/products/per...

Last edited by Mooser; 09-28-2019 at 05:28 PM.

Hey Moser,
    I lost track of this post and I didn't get notified when you posted. Thanks for the update with the information. I have been actually using this setup for several years now with no real major problems. I had the impeller on my pump explode so that was awesome!! I swapped it out with a spare that I had and was back up and running. Also had the rubber washer holding the paint roller pan deteriorate after about a year and my hose and sprayer has gone south. Seems the rubber base parts can only survive a couple of years before the coolant starts the compromise them. Currently I'm working on a wash down system for inside of the mill, thing takes me to long to clean so its high on the priority list to take care of.

Downloads
    Uploads

So my stainless steel extension was finished yesterday and I was able to do a check fit last night. I had to open up a few holes and get some assistance from a few clamps but overall it came out really nice. I'm pretty sure I know what you were talking about Rowbare but having all of that access in between the mill and the pan is going to be awesome. plus the flat plane that it creates with the existing enclosure will allow me to place z-bar all the way around the perimeter and set my 8020 frame down on that without any issues of leakage and awkward steps to go over. I should be able to clean everything up tonight and get it all siliconed and a final bolt up tonight.

On a side note I also picked up a tungsten carbide ruby tipped probe for my passive probe so I will be setting that up as soon as I button up the pan. I was getting some extremely large errors (I was getting upwards of .003" deviation from nominal in the plus) with my passive probe and that ceramic shaft. Hopefully this can help me tighten up a few things.
    How did that end up working out for you? Before all this craziness, a few buddies of mine and I were trying to troubleshoot the replacement probe that I purchased but I keep getting values outside of what it's rated for. Just wondering if you had found a solution already, hoping to get back to completing some orders even though the world is apparently ending haha

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowforthewin View Post
    How did that end up working out for you? Before all this craziness, a few buddies of mine and I were trying to troubleshoot the replacement probe that I purchased but I keep getting values outside of what it's rated for. Just wondering if you had found a solution already, hoping to get back to completing some orders even though the world is apparently ending haha
    Changing the tip really didn’t help all that much, the problem that caused the error in the probe was the design of the tri fork contactors. depending on the rotational orientation you would get some huge differences.. My ultimate solution was to just probe with it always oriented in the same direction relative to what direction you were probing (this direction has to coincide with one of your orientations that you used for calibrating the probe). This method keeps you on your toes when you have to probe the inside of a circle cause you have to rotate the probe as it switches 180 degrees..But besides that it solved my accuracy problem.. I haven't really used my machine for a few years except to tinker here and there or to drill a hole in something so I couldn't tell you how it worked long term. I remember hearing people having success with used renishaw probes off of ebay for not to much money..

Downloads
    Uploads

There is another possible solution to the poor accuracy caused by what is sometimes called "lobing error". Why not probe the inside (our outside) of a circle in three directions (120-degrees apart) rather than 4 directions 90-degrees apart? That way, regardless of probe orientation, you're always probing at the same angle from each contact. It is also faster to do only 3 probes instead of 4. I can supply my gcode if someone wants to test with their probe and report their results back here.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123