Solved 67db at 5100 rpm? 2x better surface finish? - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 67db at 5100 rpm? 2x better surface finish?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 67db at 5100 rpm? 2x better surface finish?

Quote Originally Posted by TurboStep View Post
    Improve accuracy and finish ???
    NO ???????

And I will buy your mesa card, BAM. pm me price!

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by BAMCNC.COM View Post
    Maybe you have bad spindle MOTOR bearings? Take a look at how Tormach China balances their rotors... https://instagram.com/p/6YHUOkFUPC
    The Chinese must of copied how most American motor manufactures balance their motors, they use the same method, the photos are of a major US manufacturer, most low speed motors are balanced this way, this could've been a little neater in the way your was done, so those bashing the way Chinese rotors are made, have not, ever seen a US made one, I have rebuilt hundreds & most balance them this way

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 67db at 5100 rpm? 2x better surface finish?-hpim3341-jpg   67db at 5100 rpm? 2x better surface finish?-hpim3340-jpg  
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    Never a problem with fan noise, since the machine comes with a nice, quiet electric fan.
    Do you have a picture of that? I would be interested to see how they implemented it. If I had a 3D printer, I would print a cowling to mount a muffin fan in to replace the existing fan and cowling. I have a very nice 120V muffin fan that is about the perfect size.

Tim
    Tormach 1100-3 mill, Grizzly G0709 lathe, PM935 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    Do you have a picture of that? I would be interested to see how they implemented it. If I had a 3D printer, I would print a cowling to mount a muffin fan in to replace the existing fan and cowling. I have a very nice 120V muffin fan that is about the perfect size.
    It is a large (~5" diameter?) 220V muffin fan, mounted above the air intake on the top of the motor, with a very simple spot-welded cylindrical sheet-metal housing that fits snugly over the end of the motor.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    NO ???????

And I will buy your mesa card, BAM. pm me price!
    $60? I think I had to modify the bracket that holds it to fit the PC it went into.

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    The Chinese must of copied how most American motor manufactures balance their motors, they use the same method, the photos are of a major US manufacturer, most low speed motors are balanced this way, this could've been a little neater in the way your was done, so those bashing the way Chinese rotors are made, have not, ever seen a US made one, I have rebuilt hundreds & most balance them this way
    I've only rebuilt around 1000 motors, but they were GE motors and I don't know the origin. (From GE 1.5 MW Wind Turbines) They had holes drill in them if I remember right.

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    My compressor is another story, makes one appreciate the quietness of the Tormach.

5 hp compressor at 6 feet is 94 db, now thats noisy!!
    Put a Diesel Fuel filter on your intake, you will notice less noise, and less water in your tank. I have a video on it.

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    I seem to remember a thread talking about how somewhere along the line, Tormach modified the fan in the motor to better balance it. So maybe your mod doesn't necessarily apply to new machines? I will have to pull off the fan cover and take a look at mine.

My recollection is that the original fan had a bolt as a set-screw holding it to the shaft, and the bolt head did bad things to the balance.
    I have the better Tormach "self balancing fan" and it looks like a Chinese kid made it with a pair of scissors. It's posted on CNCZone in the "Finish" thread I believe.

----

It wont' let me quote more than this.. so RAY, You are just backing up what I have said. The 67DB is the LOUDEST this will be, it gets quieter everyday.

Downloads
    Uploads

Just installed the fenner belt, when new it was 69db, and sounded terrible. Took it off and put back on my old Mitsubishi belt and now we are at 64-65db. Things are breaking in, I LOVE it!!!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

how have people that have done the electric fan mod wire the fan? Do you wire it into the panel some how, or just simply give it it's own power and switch?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Concepts_Design View Post
    how have people that have done the electric fan mod wire the fan? Do you wire it into the panel some how, or just simply give it it's own power and switch?
    In my case the spindle nut (PDB) and motor fan balance was the key issues in reducing noise, this also greatly improves finish.

The Fenner belt was noisy when it was new.

I can talk on the phone now while the machine runs at max rpm, couldnt do that when the machine was new.

mike sr

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Concepts_Design View Post
    Anyone ?? Is there a switched supply that maybe comes on with the spindle power (not spindle turning) ??
    M

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Mooser View Post
    Anyone ?? Is there a switched supply that maybe comes on with the spindle power (not spindle turning) ??
    On the VFD, put a 24VDC relay from connections T1 and B3. B3 will have 24vDC on it whenever the spindle is moving, so the relay will be powered as long as the spindle is turning. You can use that relay to turn on and off the spindle fan (don't try to power a 24V fan directly off of the B3 terminal... bad things will happen).

These are the same terminals that the ATC uses as an interlock to prevent tool change to a moving spindle. And the same terminals that some people have used to make a safety interlock to prevent dropping a tool with the PDB while the spindle is turning.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/tormac...ml#post1459808

Tim
    Tormach 1100-3 mill, Grizzly G0709 lathe, PM935 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Downloads
    Uploads

PDB pushbutton safety

works exactly as stated and has here for a year or so. I put a 24 volt relay in series with the push button tool release, I dont have the tool changer.
    This has saved many tools and aggravation here.

mike sr

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I was originally thinking of something that would keep the fan running even without the spindle so that it can be pulling heat even during tool changes etc. (I have power toolbar but no tool changer) but this should be good anyway. now to find a way of getting wires back there (every once in a while I regret putting the machine tight into a corner....)
    Thanks
    M

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast