Flood coolant nozzle upgrade

Thread: Flood coolant nozzle upgrade

Default Flood coolant nozzle upgrade

I finally got a chance to upgrade my flood coolant system.. the nozzle area for now. Looking forward to get a larger coolant tank(bin) with a new motor. I bought all the parts from Mcmaster, I could have save more somewhere else but it was convenient. I could have save more $$$ on a plain brass adapter instead of SS hex body adapter.

Similar Threads:

Default Re: Flood coolant nozzle upgrade

WOW! Nice setup.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes I agree, nice setup, very clean, looks good.
    Looking forward to get a larger coolant tank(bin) with a new motor.
    Per your quote above what are your thoughts/plans for the tank and pump?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you don't mind could you post a parts list?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Very nice! Could you share the details?

Downloads
    Uploads

Great setup with your atc. You won't have to worry about walking away and wondering if you are getting coolant in the right areas

Quote Originally Posted by kbmyers View Post
    Very nice! Could you share the details?
    I didn't buy all the items at one time, I bought some parts for trial purpose until I finally have a guts to drill and tap the column to mount the manifold. I bought the 3/8 NPT to 1/4 NPT manifold and was hoping to blast the hell out the aluminum... not really until I upgrade the pump. A 1/8 NPT output will probably work better with current coolant pump. The most important item on my list is the manifold and the individual shut off valve, from there you can decide if you really want the longer extension or just install the a flex hose with shut off valve. Don't buy item #2 it will save you $48.66, buy item 3 instead and tighten it up with a small pipe wrench or vise grip. You would only need 2 pcs of the item #12, it comes 10 pcs per box, you can use any screw type I guess as long it's 10-32x 1.625 long.I bought item 4 to mount the 1/4 NPT Loc-Line item #8. Some of my parts are nickel plated brass/aluminum and stainless steel, you can can get a plain simple brass or aluminum to save more $$. By the time I put my kit together I could have done it more simple and cheaper, this what I have and might as well make use of it.

Flood coolant nozzle upgrade-capture-png

Quote Originally Posted by CadRhino View Post
    Great setup with your atc. You won't have to worry about walking away and wondering if you are getting coolant in the right areas
    Exactly what I need for, I just need a full enclosure now to keep the coolants away from me.

Quote Originally Posted by LRF View Post
    Yes I agree, nice setup, very clean, looks good.

Per your quote above what are your thoughts/plans for the tank and pump?
    I really like a large bin like some of the guys have use. Someone on eBay was selling an aluminum coolant tank that I'm liking, I was hoping he can extend it out further out of the floor area and mount the pump or upgraded pump out side the coolant cabinet.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by whagkangmakulet View Post
    I bought the 3/8 NPT to 1/4 NPT manifold and was hoping to blast the hell out the aluminum... not really until I upgrade the pump. A 1/8 NPT output will probably work better with current coolant pump.
    No idea whether the pump is adequate or not, but looks to me like your flow is being strangled by the tiny inlet hose feeding that manifold. That will always limit both your flow and pressure. You need that pipe/tube to have a cross-sectional area roughly equal to the combined areas of all the outlets combined.

Also, flow is as important, if not more important, than pressure. You may well get a better result with larger, lower pressure outlet nozzles, than with smaller, higher-pressure ones. I've always found 1/4" nozzles will always do a much better job clearing chips than 1/8" nozzles.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Thanks for bringing the up Ray. 5/16 ID hose is currently the largest hose that I can use using the push to connect plumbing. The back of the manifold also has a 3/8 NPT that I'm using for the 3/8 NPT to 5/16 OD hose to connect to the Tormach supplied coupling 1/4? where the factory loc-line hose is connected. Once I upgrade my tank and pump, I will definitely upgrade the inlet hose to maximize the flow. As long as I can direct one of the coolant hose to the tool varied from height and width size of the tool with ATC this will do the job. I'm considering the full enclosure upgrade and the coolant if $$/orders becomes more frequent.

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice set up, but you're still locked in with those loc-lines and having to change positions every tome you change tool lengths.
    Here's a picture of what I did to my coolant system. It allows me t keep the coolant on the top of the part with no adjustments.

Flood coolant nozzle upgrade-coolant-1-jpg

You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    Nice set up, but you're still locked in with those loc-lines and having to change positions every tome you change tool lengths.
    Here's a picture of what I did to my coolant system. It allows me t keep the coolant on the top of the part with no adjustments.

Yep that's how I did mine too. Makes everything much simpler no screwing with coolant lines at tool changes.

RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use. It never ends.
    PCNC1100 Series II, w/S3 upgrade, PDB, ATC & 4th's, PCNC1100 Series II, ATC, 4th

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by R.DesJardin View Post
    Yep that's how I did mine too. Makes everything much simpler no screwing with coolant lines at tool changes.
    And those pesky drilling operations with long tool holder chucks and even longer bits!
    This method would eliminate that problem!
    I like!
    md

edit: I was wondering about vise also!

Last edited by mountaindew; 03-02-2015 at 10:01 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Steve, if you don't mind me asking, what is your vise you have in your picture, please?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post

Those stainless (?) flexible hoses look nicer and appear to be more rigid than the normal Loc-Line. What is the source?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am looking at the picture provided about the better solution and I still can't see how that is any different than Loc-Line. It has to be aimed after all- correct? If you are working on anything contoured you would still have to be concerned with trajectory following. I mean good for you guys and if it works keep rolling with it.