MORE HP for PCNC - Page 14

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 411121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: MORE HP for PCNC

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: MORE HP for PCNC

to facilitate better chip removal after the HP upgrade the cut will require better flood cooling setup. This is awesome now! when the operation is done from some heavy machining there is not a chip left anywhere on the machine practically, they all get washed down to the chip pan. NICE!
    Had to wire in a separate relay to take the load so as not to fry the relay on the Control board. 1/2hp Shallow well pump, 6 gallon tank. I'll have to stay on top of the swarf removal in the screens so as not to starve the pump, 360gpm vs 12gpm before.

MORE HP for PCNC-20150615_141929-jpg

in action, need to keep those deep pockets free of chips.This made my previous 1/8 HP pump look like "piss" cooling

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nicely done! That will definitely move some chips away from the machining area. And then I heard a voice say, "Make for yourself an ark of gopher wood; you shall make the ark with rooms, and shall cover it inside and out with pitch."...a great flood is coming.

Downloads
    Uploads

I had problems with coolant getting into the lower spindle bearings, I made a slinger for the spindle nose to keep it from splashing directly onto the lower bearing area.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    I had problems with coolant getting into the lower spindle bearings, I made a slinger for the spindle nose to keep it from splashing directly onto the lower bearing area.
    I would also consider moving the control cabinet outside the work envelope. Looks like it would be hard on electronics to have that much liquid flying around so close.
    I see Tormach enclosures relocate the control panel for access and operation to outside of their enclosure . Why not relocate the entire control cabinet on outside of enclosure? Looks like it would be less wiring then I see in the panel relocation kits.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Deleted...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    I've thought about doing something like that, on my 3rd set of lower spindle bearings (in 4 years). Can you share some pics/details?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by IMT View Post
    I've thought about doing something like that, on my 3rd set of lower spindle bearings (in 4 years). Can you share some pics/details?
    This is basically what I have done, I am sure there are better designs than this but I had a piece of UHMW on the shelf, so thats what I made it from, seems to work OK. I did bore it about .010 under and pressed it on the spindle nose, I was going to cut an oring grove in the bore but so far it is staying in position so I didnt bother with that.
    Aluminum may be a better choice for material with an oring groove in the bore to friction fit it to the spindle.

MORE HP for PCNC-img_5364-jpgMORE HP for PCNC-img_5366-jpg

I had the spindle stick slightly one day using water based coolant, i figured that some coolant was getting into the lower spindle bearing.

This was just a spur of the moment thing but it seems to work OK.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Picture may describe it a bit better....... and more what I think it should look like..

MORE HP for PCNC-slinger-jpg

UHMW tends to swell a bit, so I was going to use an oring and a press fit to help it stay positioned on the spindle nose, what I have seems to be working though..

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

johnh, what's new?

That's a mighty long vacation since your last post way back in June.

Business must be keeping you too busy.

Downloads
    Uploads

I made a spindle pulley that should get me to 9-10k rpm with stock motor. Why do you need higher HP? Your main casting can't handle more HP really.... If you need more HP, sell the Tormach and get a "real machine"

If you are the "hobby type" just slap on a smaller pulley and go back to work. Smaller pulley can actually .. well lets not get into details, but... your spindle motor will be closer to 60hz, where the motor was designed to run at, not 150hz or whatever insane number Tormach puts it at for 5100rpm. (yes, you will have less belt traction)

The "skew" of the rotor on the Tormach Spindle is.. well "straight", not skewed at all...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That is a pissload of coolant, indeed.

Me likey.

Quote Originally Posted by johnh View Post
    to facilitate better chip removal after the HP upgrade the cut will require better flood cooling setup. This is awesome now! when the operation is done from some heavy machining there is not a chip left anywhere on the machine practically, they all get washed down to the chip pan. NICE!
    Had to wire in a separate relay to take the load so as not to fry the relay on the Control board. 1/2hp Shallow well pump, 6 gallon tank. I'll have to stay on top of the swarf removal in the screens so as not to starve the pump, 360gpm vs 12gpm before.

MORE HP for PCNC-20150615_141929-jpg

in action, need to keep those deep pockets free of chips.This made my previous 1/8 HP pump look like "piss" cooling

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by G59 View Post
    johnh, what's new?

That's a mighty long vacation since your last post way back in June.

Business must be keeping you too busy.
    Yes, super busy. The main delay was waiting on Tormach to supply the source code for PathPilot. Now that is in hand my programmer is combing over it to make the changes I need before mounting the new motor head which is finished.

Again, why more HP? because I can. 3 hp would have been a simpler upgrade path physically for the VFD in the cabinet but as the saying goes, "go big or go home"

The new 1/2 hp coolant pump is totally the bomb! wow, it is so nice when the program is done running to open the curtain and see NO CHIPS on the part, vise or table!!!! Better life for my tools and finish on the parts and easier blow off. Highly recommend anyone doing this.

And yes, coolant in the lower spindle bearings is an issue but I had already installed a seal in place of the simple baffle ring they had.

Again why 5hp? MORE TORQUE at high rpm's, that's why. TORQUE is king. Plus I will have the advantage of massive torque at low rpms without having to change pulleys, right now I am going with a 1:1 ratio pulley with a motor of 2750 rpm stock x 2.38 on the VFD.

All "bench" milling is nothing but splinters, I'm doing it.

stay tuned, I hope to have my PP patch in a month to try out on my stock setup, once that is debugged I'll be mounting the new 5hp head.

MORE HP for PCNC-20150827_081247-jpg

MORE HP for PCNC-20150827_081235-jpg

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 411121314151617 ... LastLast