WTB - Tormach Electronic Tool Setter

Thread: WTB - Tormach Electronic Tool Setter

Downloads
    Uploads

Default WTB - Tormach Electronic Tool Setter

Anyone got a tool setter they want to sell?

Electronic Tool Setter - Tormach PN: 31875

Anyone got a DIY version?

Similar Threads:
    Awall - The Body Armor Dude
    CoolCNCStuff_ on Instagram - CoolCNCStuff.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: WTB - Tormach Electronic Tool Setter

Quote Originally Posted by smokediver576 View Post
    Anyone got a tool setter they want to sell?

Electronic Tool Setter - Tormach PN: 31875

Anyone got a DIY version?
    If you don't need it to be coolant proof, they are pretty easy to design. The probe and tool setter are just simple switches, that open or close upon contact.

If interested, I can post a few links to some DIY probes, that would show you how to do the setter the same way, if not easier.

There is also a cheap one that you can buy for around $140 or so that is both a probe and a tool setter combined, but you would need to swap out the connector to work with Tormach, but Tormach sells the male connector for a few bucks, so some simple connections and you'd be done.

I THINK the tormach tool setter is coolant proof, so people use it as a part of their ATC setup to touch off their tools before using them, if this is your goal, you may need a coolant safe one.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by AVRnj View Post
    If you don't need it to be coolant proof, they are pretty easy to design. The probe and tool setter are just simple switches, that open or close upon contact.

If interested, I can post a few links to some DIY probes, that would show you how to do the setter the same way, if not easier.

There is also a cheap one that you can buy for around $140 or so that is both a probe and a tool setter combined, but you would need to swap out the connector to work with Tormach, but Tormach sells the male connector for a few bucks, so some simple connections and you'd be done.

I THINK the tormach tool setter is coolant proof, so people use it as a part of their ATC setup to touch off their tools before using them, if this is your goal, you may need a coolant safe one.
    I would be interested in the DIY link as well as the $140 version you listed. When you say coolant proof, are we talking about just dripping coolant? It's not like I'm going to be running the pump while doing tool changes so not sure where that comes into play.

Thanks for the info!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by smokediver576 View Post
    I would be interested in the DIY link as well as the $140 version you listed. When you say coolant proof, are we talking about just dripping coolant? It's not like I'm going to be running the pump while doing tool changes so not sure where that comes into play.

Thanks for the info!
    Here is the one you can buy, it doubles as a tool setter and a probe. I have this one, but have not used it yet.

CNC4PC

Here is a link to how to do it yourself. Could be a fun project, ecpsecially since you have the 4th axis.

A DIY Touch Probe » fadedbits.com

You can tweak the design to fit your needs.

Regarding how much coolant, I am not really sure. The one I have is pretty open, and even a few drops of coolant would likely cause a problem, but I really am not sure since I have never tried using one in an automated manner, and I have never been one to go bonkers with the coolant. I use enough coolant to keep the tool cool, and provide some lubrication, and remove chips, but I probably keep it on the lighter flow than most as I have never had a full enclosure to keep the coolant inside.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have one comming from the company tormach gets it from. I went direct. Can't wait

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mioduz View Post
    I have one comming from the company tormach gets it from. I went direct. Can't wait
    Would you care to share a link on how to go about this? What was the cost direct?

Downloads
    Uploads

Wildhorse Innovations - Econo-Probe 3D Probe & Tool Height Setter

If I were to do it again, I'd go this route ^^^

Downloads
    Uploads

There is what seems to be a pretty good probe design together with comments on other designs at http://homemetalshopclub.org/news/12...ation_1202.pdf

Please let us know how you make out with your tool setter and the necessary software to make it usable.