Tormach Streamliner - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tormach Streamliner

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    Greg,
    Sporty idea on the drip trays under the machine base for way oil!
    I do dry machine work while Im learning and mastering skills. A couple trays under the y axis would help contain way oil and make cleanup a little better.
    I have an automatic oiler also, and I can say the machine does not run dry with it on .

Question on pillows under the machine. Could pillows float up and get into y axis screw?
    Anyway great idea on drip pans and streamlined swarf catchers.
    Lane
    Lane
    You have a valid point about pillows getting jammed in ball screw. Besides that I have just measured spare pillow I have and its almost 50mm (2”) thick, it would not fit anyhow. The one in my coolant tank is a bit thicker; and quite disgusting. When I first started looking at the way oil problem I tried to identify exactly where the oil was dripping from without any definite conclusion.
    Thinking aloud here, I wonder if when you put it to bed for the night you park table as far forward as you can and place small dish under where you think “Y” ball nut would be. That may capture oil from the “Y” ball nut. For the “X” and the table I have multiple layers of cloth/paper industrial wipers laid in front of machine stand on both sides. This oil does now drip down onto Streamliner panels where I now capture it with more wipes.

I now get very little in the way of chips in the drain basket, so I have sealed it to stand. Any chips that do get in there I remove with vacuum. So I’m thinking a shallow tray the size of the pillow with short legs underneath, positioned in settling tray with pillow directly under drain basket may capture oil. Coolant may wash oil out, but might be worth trying as I have spare pillow.

Greg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Tormach Streamliner-image-jpgTormach Streamliner-image-jpgTormach Streamliner-image-jpgI finished up my own Tormach Streamliner today. I'll have to wait for warmer weather to paint it. I made each side as a single piece and added handles to remove it. It is a very tight fit getting it inside the chip tray but there is enough flex in it that it's manageable.
    Thanks for the great idea Greg.

SteveTormach Streamliner-imageuploadedbytapatalk1392431185-404282-jpgTormach Streamliner-imageuploadedbytapatalk1392431217-129079-jpgTormach Streamliner-imageuploadedbytapatalk1392431268-896789-jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by sdh600; 02-15-2014 at 09:20 AM. Reason: More pics

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by sdh600 View Post
    I finished up my own Tormach Streamliner today. I'll have to wait for warmer weather to paint it. I made each side as a single piece and added handles to remove it. It is a very tight fit getting it inside the chip tray but there is enough flex in it that it's manageable.
    Thanks for the great idea Greg.

SteveTormach Streamliner-imageuploadedbytapatalk1392431185-404282-jpgTormach Streamliner-imageuploadedbytapatalk1392431217-129079-jpgTormach Streamliner-imageuploadedbytapatalk1392431268-896789-jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Steve

Panels look great, wouldn't worry about difficulty in removing panels you will find you don't have to remove them much. Cloth/paper towels when panels meet splash trays keeps base and chip basket virtually chip free. May try paper towels and just dispose of with chips.

Greg

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Tormach Streamliner

**** me, your a genius!! Thanks for posting this, it's great! What a fantastic Christmas present!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Funny this post just got bumped - as I had started building my new and improved enclosure and streamliner set Saturday. I'll post pics elsewhere when they're appropriate to post - but thanks for this idea. Saves a ton of time in cleanup!

WW

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice job... It seems odd that a lot of posts here are about overcoming issues with the stand/enclosure.... Its very cobbled together. I hope they see fit to do a "series IV" in addition to the current products that has a proper enclosure/based with the control panel moved out in front too. I'll likely get another at some point, but not without a proper base/enclosure... might be enough hassle to just send me off to get a used HAAS minimill2.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by LSM View Post
    The Tormach base design is pretty bad....It's like the coolant was an after thought on the design..
    They did a much better job on the 770 base. I would've thought they would have redesigned the 1100 base by now to make it more coolant friendly (especially since their competition came out with a more coolant friendly revision).

And then they came out with the 440, which makes the 1100 coolant drain design look awesome by comparison.

Tim
    Tormach 1100-3 mill, Grizzly G0709 lathe, PM935 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Downloads
    Uploads

The 440 I'd much battery IMO. There's a dip in the pan in the back center that needs to be blocked off, I just bolted/siliconed a plexi plate over it, otherwise you can only good a couple inches if couldn't uhh the bottom of the tray. That and the idiots cut a hole in the bottom, front n center, but I just made s block off plate for that as well and put a sink drain in there, it works great and the white rest of the pan is great. I would do the streamliner thing in the 440 as well but there's no need, it's easy to clean out, the 1100 was in need for sure, I had enough al sheet laying around to do the right side of the 1100 and it's fantastic, I can't wait to do the other side.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm curious what size angle aluminum was used on the bottoms of these covers? Great idea.

Bill

Joescnc 4x4 R&P Router, Minimill, Minilathe, CNC Foamcutter, laser cutter, Vectric Aspire. http://makermasters.com, http://themakersguide.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bgriggs View Post
    I'm curious what size angle aluminum was used on the bottoms of these covers? Great idea.

Bill
    I use 0.06in sheet

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

I wanted the height not the thickness please.

Joescnc 4x4 R&P Router, Minimill, Minilathe, CNC Foamcutter, laser cutter, Vectric Aspire. http://makermasters.com, http://themakersguide.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bgriggs View Post
    I wanted the height not the thickness please.
    I bent mine from flat sheet of 5052 .063 aluminum. I think I made the lips about 1" each. Hope that helps.

WW

Downloads
    Uploads

I made a set of my own this past week. I added an additional piece to cover the center from of the mill as I find I have coolant carry chips in that direction. I dont machine much steel so I just used magnets to attach the new piece to the stand.

Tormach Streamliner-img_3230-jpgTormach Streamliner-img_3229-jpgTormach Streamliner-img_3250-jpgTormach Streamliner-img_e3249-jpg

Watch me learn at www.youtube.com/dataprotocnc

Downloads
    Uploads

imp22b
    Good improvement will carry out the same on mine. I also don't machine much steel but when I do I use a strip of "magnetic" rubber that is used on white boards to form a barrier to coolant flow.

Neodymium magnets placed under the Tormach splash tray also help to corral steel chips, they can be scraped off. Magnetic hooks gives a handle to easily remove magnets.

When I first posted about this modification many years ago there was a chap Randy who made streamliner model trains. I fully expected him to post a reply. "Thats not a Streamliner; this is a Streamliner" with an attached photo of one of his great models. Never happened.

Greg

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm interested in doing this to my series 2 machine. I have the manual oiler and just wondering if anyone had some info or pic of how they and where they moved the oiler. Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Anyone? Bueller?......Bueller?.......LOL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12