Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coolant sight gage

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Sight Gage for coolant

Hi, I posted more sight gages on eBay.

Mark...

ebay.com/itm/130887289880?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1586.l2649

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

My new Coolant sight gage:

Downloads
    Uploads

Mark - Ebay is being difficult about letting me sign in. I'd like to by one of your sight gauges and can pay with PayPal if you can sell outside of Ebay. I'll PM you now.

Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by takewhatyoulike View Post
    My new Coolant sight gage:
    That looks just like mine. But I needed more flow than the return hose provided, so I cut a slot on the front of the pan and have a waterfall down into the tub.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am sure I saw yours. I really combined ideas from many people here.

Don Clement

Downloads
    Uploads

Got one, nice job. Will it interfere with the manual lube pump? Looks like it might?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Spinnetti View Post
    Excellent idea! I always seem to be low, and fear over filling - Instructions are nicely done too.

I was all over ordering until you went from $29 to $40. Not saying its not a fair price, just saying it went from "impulse buy" to thinking about it and maybe just making my own. Maybe of you kept below the psychological barrier by saying $39

Regardless, you should bring this up to Tormach... I recommended to them that on their blog or some other way they should have the ability for customers to submit product ideas... They could do a little promo for you and you could sell a bunch - maybe you could supply to them? Anyway, nice job.
    Hi Spinnetti,

I sent one of my kits to Andy at Tormach and they liked it enough to endorse it on the Tormach "Milling About" blog. We discussed several options including being a supplier or just getting the endorsement. I went with just the endorsement and I'll see how that plays out. I'm thinking about listing just the bulkhead fitting for twenty bucks with a length of 1/4" tygon tube, which would work just fine if your eyesight cooperates. On your advice I dropped the price five cents.

Thanks, Mark...
    Tormach Approved: Coolant Sight Gauge Kit « Milling Around

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Coolant sight gage-sg-capture-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I'LL TAKE A BULK HEAD AND TUBE.

I installed your kit last night. VERY IMPRESSED! I have had my tormach fired up for a 7 days as of the installation last night and it's filled an empty 55 gallon can 3/4 full with just air blast since the coolant kept starving out when the chips would pile up. Your kit made it very apparent that I need one tank for high pressure flood (27 gallon tank, sump, double chip separator and filter bags all on wheels ) and the tormach tank with just oil based for tapping. I will plumb something to switch between the two but now I need another site for the tub... Which has not vertical sides visible.

I will shoot some videos and share both your kits on my youtube. let me know when I can order please.

Thanks again for the great kit bud!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You should take them up on being a supplier instead.

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow pretty sweet, I'm surprised they just didn't steal the idea and run with it, like the ATC LED light ring...

Downloads
    Uploads

Mark, I saw that! Just trying to help a 'Brother out I always like to see folks doing good stuff get rewarded for it. I bought one, and you did a very nice job on the product, packaging and instructions - Thanks! Probably will install tomorrow and finish wiring up my new LED light ring too.

Anybody have a inexpensive source for a round coolant manifold?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Coolant sight gage

I love my sight gauge! Unfortunately the nipple on the plastic fitting just broke. I forgot it was attached when I pulled the tank out. I don't suppose anyone here knows where I can get replacement parts? namely the white plastic that holds the tube?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Sight Gage for coolant

I actually need the same part.

Downloads
    Uploads

You might try Cole-Parmer. They are a scientific supply house but sell over the web.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Sight Gage for coolant

Heard of a couple instances of the plastic nipple breaking off and I found a pretty easy fix. Fortunately my local Ace hardware store had the proper fitting with the correct hose barb for the tygon tubing.

I threaded a test bottom cap with 1/8" NPT threads and installed a brass 1/8" male NPT x 1/8" hose barb with good results.

I used a 21/64" tap drill to drill completely through where the nipple had broken off and drove the 1/8" NPT tap with a 7/16" deep socket (plenty of clearance in the pocket for the socket).

I picked up the brass 1/8" male NPT x 1/8" hose barb fitting at my local Ace Hardware store for under $3. I made sure to take a sample piece of the tygon tubing to verify proper fit.

I'm attaching photos from the procedure.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Coolant sight gage-threading-bottom-cap_r-jpg   Coolant sight gage-fitting-bottom-cap_r-jpg   Coolant sight gage-drill-tap-fitting-socket_r-jpg   Coolant sight gage-7-16-deep-socket_r-jpg  

Coolant sight gage-1-8-npt-x-1-8-hose   Coolant sight gage-1-8-27-npt-tap_r-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Those white plastic fittings have Luer lock connections, often used on syringes. It looks like McMaster sells them here:

https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/125/255

I'd think that you'd want the polypropylene fittings, 3rd set down in each column.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    Those white plastic fittings have Luer lock connections, often used on syringes. It looks like McMaster sells them here:

https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/125/255

I'd think that you'd want the polypropylene fittings, 3rd set down in each column.

No, it is just a plain nipple... until it breaks off. My post was just an option for repairing the break.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by SpruTormaCam View Post
    No, it is just a plain nipple... until it breaks off. My post was just an option for repairing the break.
    Maybe something changed but the sight gage I have (from the same seller, I think) but it seems to have Luer lock fittings that are dead ringers for the ones that I linked to.

Downloads
    Uploads

Are these no longer sold? Ebay links seem dead.

Anyone know what happened to Mark? Would love to get a couple of these kits!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast