Hole centres

Thread: Hole centres

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Hole centres

G'day all,

I'm going to buy the Tormach 1100 shortly and I working out what accessories to buy.

I have done a lot of milling with a (manual) mill, that uses a digital read out.

On my current mill, if I want to find a hole centre, I just put my edge finder roughly in the middle of the hole. Then I touch off the left side and
    zero the read out. I then go the opposite edge and the use the 1/2 function (on the read out) to get the centre point.

I then repeat the procedure on the other axis.

Nice and easy and it works.

Here's my question ....

Tormach sells the Haimer Zero Master and I understand It's intended use.

Can this unit be used to find the centre of a hole, using the Mach 3 software ?

I know that Tormach sell the Haimer - Centro, which will do this, but it seems like over kill (and costly), if the edge finder is capable of being used.

Michael

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Hole centres

I made my own center finder using an Interapid 312b-1V and Daedal 13mm positioner.

Don Clement

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Don,

Thanks for the reply.

That's a clever idea ... although, reading the indicator (when it's at the back) wouldn't be a whole lot of fun !

As I mentioned, if I'm buying the Zero Master, why not make use of it.

Michael

Downloads
    Uploads

I believe it's the same procedure. Basically, you lower the tip of the Haimer into the hole, move to the left side of the hole, and zero the X axis. Then you move to the right side and click in the DRO on the Mach3 screen, type in " / 2 ", and hit enter. Then you move to X0 and move to the top of the hole, zero Y, move to the bottom, and halve the Y value. I think people often take this one step further and perform the same procedure with the X axis again.

Tormach made a video showing this. Lemme see if I can find it...

The hole-centering demonstration starts at 7:54.

Downloads
    Uploads

G'day mate,

Spot on !

That's exactly what I was trying to find out.

Don's idea looks good, but what's the point if I will have everything I need.

I did notice that he only ran the indicator back to -.001, rather than the "zero" ... but the did the same procedure for all sides, so I guess it doesn't make any difference.

<lol> Gee, I really hope the Sprutcam & Mach 3 software are not going to be too painfull, but I'm sure they will (for a complete beginner).

Again, thanks for the info.

Michael

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I use a coaxial indicator to locate hole centers, the dial always faces the operator so its easy to see, and they are relatively inexpensive.

Mach 3 is not too tough to learn, Sprutcam was tough for me but it does a lot for the money. I use Rhino for my CAD software.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

The Haimer - Centro master is another tool and method for finding hole centers "much faster at finding centers because its designed to do just that"
    The Hamier indicator as hirudin shows will do the same, just takes jogging probe around a bit more and more time.
    What don shows imho is very accurate and works much the same way as the centro does.
    The point with many tools are they can be time savers over other methods or tools. And in this case the reason Haimer sells 2 systems for locating, normal xyz and center finders.

This is the reason I use a Haimer . Not much fun using wiggle edge finders, turning spindle on - off and all the added steps and time.
    That cool little tool will also allow you to see all kinds of things you would not notice much using a normal edge finder! "easy to see backlash in x,y,z when setting edges and heights"

When using the indicator to find a part center or hole center you can touch off any amount as long as you do that same amount on all sides as you had guessed.

Again my opinion I found sprutcam to be hard at first. mostly because I wanted results and use mill not learn how to use it. After I settled in with tools spending time learning the cam side become fun and very rewarding. Now I have a great deal of confidence with my results and rare to break a tool or scrap the stock.
    Still so much to learn. As I noted in another thread internal and external helical milling of threads is next on learning plan. then was thinking 4th axis work and experience.

Good luck with your new tool / tools mate!

md

note on sprut!
    Master how to edit, add, delete and transform everything in MODEL tab and the associated list boxes.
    Much of the power and headaches can be found in this area and how you use it.
    Then these same navigation methods and model entities can be used for object selection and tool operations with associated fixtures for holding material and other parameters.

Last edited by mountaindew; 04-28-2014 at 11:31 AM.

although, reading the indicator (when it's at the back) wouldn't be a whole lot of fun
    Actually, when indicating in a hole or boss, you only need three points zeroed. Left, Right, Front.
    No need to crane your neck, trying to look behind the spindle.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RA-Bowtie View Post
    Hi Don,

Thanks for the reply.

That's a clever idea ... although, reading the indicator (when it's at the back) wouldn't be a whole lot of fun !
    Actually it's no problem reading the Interapid 312b-1V at any point. That's why I chose that particular model of Interapid indicator as the face is easily visible. I also have an Interapid 312b-1 .

Don Clement

Downloads
    Uploads

Don - do you have a source with a good price for one of those Interapid indicators? I've been meaning to get something as an upgrade to my B&S BesTest.

Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

Mike,

I also have a B&S Bestest indicator which is very good but only a 0.030" range. The Interapid 312b-1 and 312b-1V have a 0.060" range. I got my Interapids on sale from KBC a few years back.

Don Clement

Downloads
    Uploads

All the methods discussed will certainly work.
    One option not mentioned is digital probes, they will work with the Mach 3 software to automatically find the center.

Some of them are quite expensive, so unless you need them for other things they might be over kill. How ever some of the less expensive ones, such as the Wild horse probe seem to have a lot of satisfied users.
    Lots of threads here on probes if you want to search.

Terry

Downloads
    Uploads

Though it's not directly responsive to the question, I'm a little surprised no one has mentioned that there is a set of routines built in which will do this using a touch probe. While touch probes can be expensive, there are some low cost home-brew versions available, so this is a very reasonably priced alternative. The routines will also pick up a vise edge, and even correct a misaligned setup by reorienting the axes.

(edit: oops, just saw the last post in the string! MFChief did mention it)

Downloads
    Uploads

Don - thanks, it's been a while since I shopped at KBC so I'll check to see what they have.

Mike