Full Enclosure and Coolant System Upgrade

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Full Enclosure and Coolant System Upgrade

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Full Enclosure and Coolant System Upgrade

All,

I've finished the coolant system upgrade testing this evening and am in the process of uploading a video to YouTube. This process has been fairly slow coming, starting with testing of the stock system, making minor improvements to it, researching what could be done to improve the system inexpensively and executing, which took me about a week of evenings.

To summarize, the stock Tormach flood coolant system flows between 33 and 50 GPH. The new system I've put in place flows 295 GPH. The cost of the full enclosure and the coolant system upgrade was about $235 (which doesn't include a handful of hose clamps and the plastic storage container I used for the reservoir). There's a simple change you can make that will increase the flow of the Tormach OEM system to about 100 GPH.

Last summer I realized you can do things that impede the flow of the Tormach OEM coolant system unintentionally and that got me thinking about ways to improve the system. I cut a part one afternoon with flood coolant and thought the system may be clogged because the flow was so poor. As it turns out, I had tightened the fitting from the coolant supply hose to the black steel pipe too tightly which resulted in the silicone O-ring extruding into the flow path of the coolant. I figured that out when I flow tested the Tormach nozzle repeatedly, removing one part of the nozzle at a time until I figured out what was happening. I attached a picture showing the O-ring extruded into the flow path compared to its free state.

An easy improvement in coolant flow is simply disconnecting the OEM coolant supply hose from the nozzle and using the flow out the end of the hose. This will increase flow from a maximum of 50 GPH to about 100 GPH. I just used zip ties to attach the hose to the nozzle so I could aim it. I've attached a picture below.

I recently had the time to build a full enclosure and a new flood coolant system with three nozzles. The enclosure is PVC pipe and shower curtains. The pump is a Superior Pump 1/4 HP 91250 and I've added three nozzles. The video of the build of the enclosure and coolant manifold is here:

I completed the flow testing tonight and I'm fairly pleased. Here are flow test results (all values shown are averages from several samples):

OEM configuration: 32.7 GPH
    OEM minus flexible nozzle, just surgical tubing: 33.0 GPH
    OEM minus shut-off valve and down stream components: 34.4 GPH
    OEM minus all except steel pipe: 36.6 GPH
    OEM hose only: 101.0 GPH
    OEM configuration minus blue silicone O-ring: 50.7 GPH

The coolant flow was obviously restricted by the O-ring. Now for the new configuration:

3 nozzles: 293.1 GPH
    1 nozzle: 115.1 GPH

Here's the video about the nozzles, the pump, testing, etc.

There are two pictures attached showing the flow comparison as well.

Enjoy!

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Full Enclosure and Coolant System Upgrade-extruded-o-ring-jpg   Full Enclosure and Coolant System Upgrade-paltry-coolant-flow-jpg   Full Enclosure and Coolant System Upgrade-mind-blowing-coolant-flow-jpg   Full Enclosure and Coolant System Upgrade-easy-coolant-mod-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nice job brother ! I used homedepot shower liner under my head and added a bib to the Z bellow, makes life easy !

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Are you doing anything to protect the control panel?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by sperman View Post
    Are you doing anything to protect the control panel?
    Yes, and it's shown in the first video if you'd like to see it. The solution was the simple. The shower curtains I installed were too long, so I took the trimmed off bottom section of the shower curtain I used for the front (5 mil thick clear) and covered the front panel and gaps around the doors. Magnets were used to hold the cover in place. It's not cleanly executed, but it should work fine.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by anglin View Post
    Yes, and it's shown in the first video if you'd like to see it. The solution was the simple. The shower curtains I installed were too long, so I took the trimmed off bottom section of the shower curtain I used for the front (5 mil thick clear) and covered the front panel and gaps around the doors. Magnets were used to hold the cover in place. It's not cleanly executed, but it should work fine.
    That's what I have on mine as well. I used magnets from a hard drive to hold a large sheet of plastic in place. The cabinet isn't fully enclosed, but anything that splashes onto the plastic now runs down to the pan instead of splashing onto the pan. My enclosure is also PVC pipe.

Downloads
    Uploads

Very nice, anglin. I'll probably wrap a couple of your ideas back into my own setup.

Randy

Downloads
    Uploads

My flow-rate limiter seems to be the chip basket. That clogs up soon enough that coolant doesn't get back into the tank fast enough. I have a real early stand, so maybe they fixed it later on?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    My flow-rate limiter seems to be the chip basket. That clogs up soon enough that coolant doesn't get back into the tank fast enough. I have a real early stand, so maybe they fixed it later on?
    Interesting. I've been very curious to see what will happen when I start covering the chip tray with chips and the coolant is more likely to be delayed getting back to the tank. I was planning on making some cuts tonight but didn't get a chance. As I make more videos related to this topic I'll put them here.

Thanks again.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I conducted more coolant flow testing today. I figured I'd post the the results of the new configurations I tried while the video is processing.

I was looking at the OEM Tormach hose assembly and realized that if I took the shut-off valve out of the hose assembly I'd have essentially a 1/2" version of the 1/4" hoses I installed the other day. I put the pieces together and attached it to the coolant manifold. The flow rate improved so dramatically that I ended performing a few other comparison test.

I also tested the 1/2" hose with straight tip and 1/4" 90° nozzles as well as a 1/4" nozzle and straight tip. Here are all the result (new results italic).

OEM system (all Tormach-supplied hardware and pump):
    1/2" hose, OEM configuration: 32.7 GPH
    1/2" hose, OEM configuration minus blue silicone O-ring: 50.7 GPH
    OEM metal hose only: 101.0 GPH

My system with 1/4 hp pump and PVC manifold:
    Three 1/4" hoses, 90° tip: 293.1 GPH
    One 1/4" hose, 90° tip: 115.1 GPH
    One 1/4" hose, straight tip: 127.1 GPH
    One 1/2" hose, straight tip: 239.6 GPH
    One 1/2" hose, straight tip plus two 1/4" hoses with 90° tip: 369 GPH

There are a few pieces of information worth taking away from the test results (speaking for myself, of course; this may have no value to you or your configuration).

First, switching the 1/4" hose from a 90° tip increases flow from 115 GPH to 127 GPH. That means a switching from a straight nozzle to a 90° nozzle will reduce flow out that hose by 10%, which is not insignificant. In theory, switching the 1/4" hose with 90° nozzles to straight nozzles will increase flow from 293 GPH to 322 GPH.

Second, a single 1/2" straight nozzle flows 82% of what three 1/4" hoses with 90° nozzles.

Third, using the flow ratio of one 1/4" 90° hose against three 1/4" 90° hoses, it is implied (assuming the pump flow rates are constant) that switching to three 1/2" hoses with straight nozzles would provide a flow rate of 500 GPH.

One thing this doesn't point out is the quality of the stream of coolant coming out of the nozzle. At these flow rates, the 90° nozzle has a very disrupted flow, whereas the straight nozzles have a smoother flow. More coolant hits the target and is sprayed around less. I'll see if I can include that detail in the video.

I'll have the video up shortly.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've attached a picture which shows the differences in flow quality between the straight and 90° nozzles. When I switched the 1/4" hose to the straight nozzle, it also had the same flow characteristics as the 1/2" hose with the straight nozzle, so it's not a function of hose size.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Full Enclosure and Coolant System Upgrade-img_6403-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Two new videos:

- shows the change to 1/2" hose
    - characterizes the flow difference between 1/4" and 1/2" hoses, purely for entertainment

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by anglin View Post
    Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    Interesting. I've been very curious to see what will happen when I start covering the chip tray with chips and the coolant is more likely to be delayed getting back to the tank. I was planning on making some cuts tonight but didn't get a chance. As I make more videos related to this topic I'll put them here.

Thanks again.
    So, I've had exactly this problem now. The chip basket in the table is getting filled to the point where the coolant is being restricted from returning to the coolant reservoir. The table starts to fill up to the point where just the handles of the chip basket are showing above the coolant. Every once in a while I just reach in with a gloved hand and scoop it out and immediately the table drains. This is a good problem to have, I suppose. I'll redesign/reconfigure the chip basket in the future to avoid this.

In the meanwhile, here's the first production part I ran using the new flood coolant system and enclosure:

I was thrilled with the results. I haven't seen any evidence of chip recutting at all since the flood coolant upgrade.

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for all of the good info, anglin.

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Can you provide info on the pump? If it was in the videos, I missed it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by sperman View Post
    Can you provide info on the pump? If it was in the videos, I missed it.
    I thought I had the pump shown in the box on one of my Youtube videos, but I couldn't find it. I purchased this pump:

Superior Pump 91025 1/5 hp utility pump

From Amazon for $48. I discarded all the included fittings and took the pump with me to Lowes to build a good outlet setup.

Found the video. Here's the link, which also covers the nozzle arrangement:

Downloads
    Uploads

Almost any hardware store sump pump will make a credible coolant pump. I use two of them (~900 GPH each), cost me under $40 each.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

BTW - If you have a FULL enclosure (including an enclosed top), and want some really serious chip removal, buy a "shallow well pump". You can get a decent one from Harbor Freight for as little as $99. This is the one I have:

1 Horsepower Shallow Well Pump with Stainless Steel Housing

This is a pressure pump, 35 PSI, with a built-in pressure reservoir of 2-10 gallons, so flow is instant-on. Sump pumps are designed for very high flow, but relatively low pressure (usually just a few PSI). This pump will give you some serious pressure and a decent flow rate, but, because of the pressure, will splash coolant ALL over the room if the work area is not completely enclosed. This is what I plan to put on my new mill as soon as I get the enclosure on it.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ray

The problem with that pump is it is a clear water pump. You will have to be certain that your chips are strained or the plastic impeller will puke quickly.

Downloads
    Uploads

Anglin,

I like your setup, thanks for taking the time to test and post.

I really like the strainer you put in the top of the reservoir, where did you find it?

It looks like something you might find in a kitchen supply store.

Terry

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Great job on these upgrades. I will get one of them pumps for my Denfoord Triac. The Tormach has a nice sweet sounding spindle when cutting. I have upgraded one of our Triacs to a 10000 rpm spindle and converted to Mach 3

Need a bigger coolant pump though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ShGoRgbfM4]Test retrofit Denford triac fanuc atc on mach3 - YouTube

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast