Improved 770 Stand (DIY) - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Improved 770 Stand (DIY)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

What software are you using to create the finished illustrations?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by johnyac View Post
    What software are you using to create the finished illustrations?

That's SolidWorks onboard render, it's pretty basic. You can actually draw/model with it turned on. There's a couple of backgrounds or you can add a jpg. It's called "Real View".

Downloads
    Uploads

Latest version. Don't know how much more this can be tweaked without building it first.

Optional modular removable side cabinets on the base. Made of 1/2" or 3/4" plywood with 1/4" doors. Thinking the wider left side cabinet could be either 3 drawers or 3 shelves.

Upper enclosure doors would not work sliding up and over the top because of the necessary access to the spindle motor compartment. So narrowed them by 8" each so they wouldn't be in the way as much when open. They still incorporate the drip rail at the bottom.

Base frame slightly tweaked for better strength.

Quick Control PC Desk of 3/4 plywood with good ergonomics.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Improved 770 Stand (DIY)-cabs-jpg   Improved 770 Stand (DIY)-3rd-gen-jpg   Improved 770 Stand (DIY)-3rd-gen-2-jpg   Improved 770 Stand (DIY)-painted-wood-jpg  

Improved 770 Stand (DIY)-3rd-base-jpg   Improved 770 Stand (DIY)-front-2-jpg   Improved 770 Stand (DIY)-comp-desk-jpg  
    Last edited by Chris Duncan; 01-28-2013 at 04:10 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Improved 770 Stand (DIY)

HI All,
    This is my very forst pos on this forum.

I have just ordered a Tormack 770M and making my own rest a cabinet too as freight to Australia was very expensive.
    I have looked at some drawings and it seems like the 770 bolt hole spacings are 290mm and 535mm centre.
    Is anyone able to confirm this so I can start to make my stand while the 2-3 month delivery wait is occouring

Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Improved 770 Stand (DIY)

I just measured my 770, (made in 2010) I got 293mm by 535mm - close.

I think the above designs represent some fantastic thinking, just one thing to add: the 770 user manual goes into detail on the concept of casting flex, as a means of warning people not to under-engineer the pads on which the machine will rest - they need to be co-planar and I will add that they should be rigid - I've had mine for ten years and the light construction of these machines is quite apparent next to my large Hurco Mill (a beefy Bridgeport) the 770 has plenty of power for R&D purposes, but the machine lacks mass and you can see it in the cuts, and experience it in the deviations needed from standard fee/speeds. Therefore, my theory is you must couple the machine to mass, and I am trying to think of ways to do this: (i) four columnar screw jacks from earth to the base corners to dampen downward vertical movement. Or (ii) if my wife can have polished concrete slab counter tops in the kitchen on which to make flan, I can have a slab of concrete under my 770. I imagine a concrete bench top measuring 600 X 900 X 250, weighing almost as much as the 770 itself. The concrete can be fiber (an additive) and metal reinforced and also double as a sump by means of molding in the necessary details. I will report back if I try this.

Dan
    Campbell, CA

Dan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12