I love my Tormach, but... - Page 8

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

Thread: I love my Tormach, but...

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: I love my Tormach, but...

You guys are in denial.

Again, these are not my parts, but feel free to go look at images of the work done here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Front...08500182556134
    He cares about surface finish, and uses the best tools and equipment he can in order to get great results directly off the machine.

Here is a quote from the Swiftcarb catalog, "if you're not getting a mirror finish at 300+IPM, then you need to be using Swiftcarb". This is 2014, leverage technology. Again, a Tormach isn't going to do this, but don't tell us you can't.

PM-45 CNC conversion built/run/sold.

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jid2 View Post
    You guys are in denial.

Again, these are not my parts, but feel free to go look at images of the work done here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Front...08500182556134
    He cares about surface finish, and uses the best tools and equipment he can in order to get great results directly off the machine.

Here is a quote from the Swiftcarb catalog, "if you're not getting a mirror finish at 300+IPM, then you need to be using Swiftcarb". This is 2014, leverage technology. Again, a Tormach isn't going to do this, but don't tell us you can't.
    Yes, it's amazing what you can do on a $100K+ machine, with a 30HP spindle. But what is the relevance to anything in this forum?

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

That someone posted pictures of surface finish from a tormach and a mori and said they were the "same", implying that a tormach or any R8 taper 1000lb machine can create surface finish quality at the same level as a VMC. Thats all.

Downloads
    Uploads

I get high gloss finishes too, but those parts come out of the powder coating booth.

I used to hand polish and buff aluminum parts to a mirror finish. It is work. No doubt about it. I can see why one would want a machine that can produce the type of finish on the recent parts in this thread. High quality parts with less or no hand finishing. That statistic right there means more profit per part. When I did hand polish those parts, they would not stay looking that way even though a wax was applied. Same thing goes for these high machine finishes I would guess. They will never look better than when they come off the machine. Probably quite a bit different when they come out of a box a year or two later unless vacuum packed.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by BAMCNC.COM View Post
    Swiftcarb makes really good end mills, but there is absolutely no way you're going to get that kind of finish off a milling machine. I don't care if you do it on a Tormach, Mitsui Sieki, Kitimura, Mazak, Mori Seiki, Fadal or a Haas, and I have run them all. And I have used a lot of Swiftcarb end mills too, and actually they're no better than any of other high performance end mills.

You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    Swiftcarb makes really good end mills, but there is absolutely no way you're going to get that kind of finish off a milling machine. I don't care if you do it on a Tormach, Mitsui Sieki, Kitimura, Mazak, Mori Seiki, Fadal or a Haas, and I have run them all. .
    Moore Nanotechnology Systems: Ultra-Precision Machining Systems

Don C.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Jid2 - reread the post guy, I never said they were the same finish. From my testing I know it's impossible to pull the same finish on this machine. All I was showing was from a part made on a Mori at 7x magnification the Tormach wasn't far behind after the mods. Before the mods the finish was horrible, didn't matter what settings, end mill, coolant, etc.. used, always looked the same/very little difference. I wasn't trying to write a novel explaining every little detail, saw someone asking about the mods and thought I'd chime in and show how they worked for us.

Hirudin - I don't know what the setting were for the Mori part, but after about 80 test cuts using just about every end mill I could find, tuning the machine and whatever the hell else I did 2 years ago that was my best set. I used a .5" ZRN Accupro 2FL EM OAL length I believe was 1" or 1.25". When testing everything trying to finish at Max RPMs still looked bad, but at about 2000 - 3000 rpm 20 - 35 IPM with a finishing pass of .001" -.002" WOC seemed to work great. It's all about what works for you.

Thank you Mike !

Last edited by twocik; 11-09-2014 at 02:37 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Your welcome sir!

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tbaker2500 View Post
    I liked the anti-vibration properties of the Fenner belt, but I didn't like the whistling. The high-frquency noise is higher.
    The Fenner belt does get quiet after a few years running, mine is dead quiet and doesnt slip after 8 years.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

I would second that. I use Fenners on just about everything.

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    The Fenner belt does get quiet after a few years running, mine is dead quiet and doesnt slip after 8 years.

Downloads
    Uploads

I love my Tormach, but...-img_9548-jpg

I just reread this thread and didnt find a pic of the belt adjustment setup, just in case someone is interested, the motor is also mounted on .0625/.125 silicone gasket material to isolate the motor from the machine frame, this helps a bit with vibration.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I love my Tormach, but...-img_9548-jpg  
    mike sr

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678