I love my Tormach, but... - Page 6

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: I love my Tormach, but...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I love my Tormach, but...-img_9558-jpg

pic of the rings, they can be adjusted to balance the nut, they fit under the power drawbar cylinder bracket on the lower part of the nut, id is 2.010, od is 2.5 x .1875 thick approximately.

It is a trial and error thing and takes some time.

I plan to make another set of steel as these arent quite heavy enough.
    I thought I had pics of them on the machine but I cant find them now, I will look for them tomorrow.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

You could just replace the set screws with an eye bolt attached to a ball and chain for some extra weight
    Thanks for the pics. Bet it's a ***** to get right though.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by GJeff View Post
    You could just replace the set screws with an eye bolt attached to a ball and chain for some extra weight
    Thanks for the pics. Bet it's a ***** to get right though.
    It doesnt take too long to get it close, if you want it perfect, well I am still working on that.....

mike sr

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

These are a couple of pics of the eccentric counter weights in place.
    It is still a work in progress.........I love my Tormach, but...-img_9795-640x427-jpgI love my Tormach, but...-img_9793-640x427-jpg

mike sr

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

LRF,

This is the one you are looking for, this should bump it to a current status again......

edit: Those eccentric rings need to be a tad heavier, hence the screw in the hub for added weight, I didnt have quite enough adjustment.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

You up for selling some?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by BAMCNC.COM View Post
    You up for selling some?
    I hadnt thought about it, you know how it is when you finally get it the way you want it, it goes to the back burner ha!
    I just chucked up a piece of 3" round in the 4 jaw and bored a 2" clearance hole in it and sawed off two sections of it, d&t for the setscrew, thats it. I will have to check the size and weight of the ones on it now.
    The pdb nut and the motor fan were the two biggest cuoprits.

I will say that it made a night and day difference over what it was originally.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

I have heard that the latest machines now have motor fans with a symmetrical design using two screws. I haven't seen one yet, but if it's true then it sounds like a step in the right direction.
    Step

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by TurboStep View Post
    I have heard that the latest machines now have motor fans with a symmetrical design using two screws. I haven't seen one yet, but if it's true then it sounds like a step in the right direction.
    Step
    I may give them a call Monday, I would like to know what one costs and if they are available separately.
    I did learn from all this, dont balance with a setscrew holder in the collet, use a solid piece of 3/4 shafting as those holders are off some as well.

The motors are designed to run at 1715 (nameplate rpm) and around that rpm they dont vibrate, its when its double or more that it starts to show up.

It has been a fun project thats for sure.

mike sr

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by TurboStep View Post
    Step
    I may give them a call Monday, I would like to know what one costs and if they are available separately.
    I did learn from all this, dont balance with a setscrew holder in the collet, use a solid piece of 3/4 shafting as those holders are off some as well.

The motors are designed to run at 1715 (nameplate rpm) and around that rpm they dont vibrate, its when its double or more that it starts to show up.

It has been a fun project thats for sure.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Mike, I sent pictures of my fan to Chris months ago. He should have them.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mike, I sent pictures of my fan to Chris months ago. He should have them.
    Brad,
    I havent talked to Chris in awhile, would be interesting to see a pic of it.

I checked out the machine today, I have just a touch of vibration about 4900 or so, I took off the belt and it is the motor causing it, so the fan or something has changed position, so I need to come up with a better fix as the fan is plastic and it can move on the shaft, and being as it isnt balanced perfectly, there is a sweet spot in positioning it just right.
    I have the file on those aluminum eccentric rings I cut on the Tormach if youre interested, they would be fine if they were made of steel, the added weight would make them adjustable without the extra screw in the pdb nut.

I installed a few of these inverter drives years ago and we had balance problems with the motors back then. We did use separate electric cooling fan kits on them though.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Found a pic

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Brad for the pic.

I will get back on this balance thing this winter.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

You knew Chris had a Kickstarter project going, right? K-Addict

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think I knew that, its been awhile back, I hope he does well.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

He's close to 40k

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: I love my Tormach, but...

Seems to be a good time to Bump this.

Mike - any findings? Chris emailed me some pictures of some of his surface finish and it was very nice, I didn't ask him about it though.

Downloads
    Uploads

Seems to be a good time to Bump this.

Mike - any findings? Chris emailed me some pictures of some of his surface finish and it was very nice, I didn't ask him about it though.
    I did have some issues when the pdb release button was pushed with the spindle running, It knocked the pdb nut balance rings out a bit, they are close now but not perfect, need to find one of those "roundtuits"
    I have since made up a relay lockout setup for it, works nice for manual drilling etc. A simple phone cabe will work also on the factory setup.

The main problem I have now is the computer, windows, and Mach! I would spend some serious bucks for a dedicated controller if and when Tormach comes out with one.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    I did have some issues when the pdb release button was pushed with the spindle running, It knocked the pdb nut balance rings out a bit, they are close now but not perfect, need to find one of those "roundtuits"
    I have since made up a relay lockout setup for it, works nice for manual drilling etc. A simple phone cabe will work also on the factory setup.

The main problem I have now is the computer, windows, and Mach! I would spend some serious bucks for a dedicated controller if and when Tormach comes out with one.
    I spent the day yesterday getting the spindle back in balance, at least as perfect as I can get it, I was getting the vibration pattern in the finish cuts again, I havent machined anything yet but the spindle is smooth at 5140. There is no sheetmetal vibration now, just a bit of a whirring sound from the fenner belt. I have a spindle lockout on the machine now so this spindle nut- PDB problem shouldnt happen again.

mike sr

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast