I tried to fire up my lathe the other day and the computer was crapped out . The errors indicated the hard drive was toast . I have an identical pc that I tried the hd on and I got the same error on boot .
This is a linuxcnc recovery but the same can be done for pathpilot .

I wanted to salvage what I could and I have a usb hard drive reader which I plugged into my windows pc . The problem is that a windows pc will recognize the drive but it won't assign a volume # since windows can't read a linux partition (or something to that effect) . This is where a simple program download comes to play . Diskinternals linux reader will pick up the hard drive and open it up so that files can be viewed and saved to the windows pc .
I was able to copy my configs and the nc programs which I didn't take the time to backup previously .

I wish I had thought of this before because I've had pathpilot crap out and wouldn't boot , and those occasions I lost some pretty valuable stuff . Obviously this only goes so far depending on how bad off a hard drive is .
I figured I'd mention this because I know guys have had the same troubles I've had with pathpilot not wanting to boot , and at least there is an easy enough option to save files if need before reinstalling pp . I'm sure there are better solutions to the problem , one being more back ups , but this got me out of a pickle easy enough