PathPilot, Mesa 7I92H and Geckodrive G540 - Page 4

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: PathPilot, Mesa 7I92H and Geckodrive G540

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: PathPilot, Mesa 7I92H and Geckodrive G540

Quote Originally Posted by gerritv View Post
    My machine is not a Tormach either. I edit only the few lines that determine the axis lengths and max spindle speed. No editing of pins etc. needed. I use a PMDX-132, similar to G540 and with a twisty cable but totally with Tormach bit, hal and ini files. Changing bit file from Tormach also requires additional editing in code files. PITA IMO and easily avoided by doing what he did, make a twisty cable. Given that Tormach does updates multiple times per year, the less editing the better.

Personally I did it this way to get things up and running. I have seen no need to do any other changes. For MPG etc I built a clone of Tormach's console, easy enough with a Teensy.
    Not sure why you think there is editing of pins required

Stepgens and pwmgens are not addressed by pins and the GPIO pin numbers are the same for any configuration

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by phomann View Post
    Hi Scott,
    I’m also managed to get hold of a Dell Optiplex 7010 SFF i5 3570 QUAD 3.4GHz 4GB 500GB
    It has 2 PCI slots so I can add an Ethernet card for a 2nd network connection.

Hopefully that will work.
    Cheers
    Peter

If you just want the 2nd card to get Internet connection.
    Wouldn't it be better just to get a pci WiFi card?.

It wouldn't interfere with lan connection to mesa then.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by gerritv View Post
    Peter, have you looked at this video?

I found that messing with Wifi directly on this configuration doesn't work, Tormach wrote a bunch of code to overcome limitations/issues in that version of Mint.

On the topic of adding ethernet cards, again due to Linux the way it is, you can't predict which card is eth0, and it is always eth0 that gets the 7i92 connection. No way to change that.

The spcific wifi usb I am succesfully using is: TL-WN725N TP-LINK (TL-WN725N) N150 150Mbps wireless N Nano USB adapter
    Hi
    I did look at that video but it didn’t help as the dongle I had wasn’t being detected.
    But what did was the dongle you suggested. I plugged it in and when I booted PathPilot, it asked me if I wanted to set it up. The unit I purchased was less than AU$10.00

TP-Link 150Mbps Wireless N Nano USB Adapter (TL-WN725N) https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B008IFX...ZR7AY1ZXKRKJ8F

Cheers

Peter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

-------------------------------------------------
    Homann Designs - http://www.homanndesigns.com

Downloads
    Uploads

My next question is what configuration files are overwritten when PathPilot updates.
    Hopefully the files that define the axis speeds, steps per unit and the like are retained.

If not I guess I’ll need to save them and copy them back once an update is done.

Also are the base units for PathPilot fixed in imperial, or can I set it to metric. This is so I can use my current metric configuration values from my machine. I’m not talking about G20/G21 use in an initialization string or G code files.
    It’s not a big deal as I know how to divide by 25.4. PathPilot, Mesa 7I92H and Geckodrive G540

Cheers
    Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

If you can edit your ini file replace inch with mm here
    LINEAR_UNITS = mm

Rod Webster
    www.vmn.com.au

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rodw View Post
    LINEAR_UNITS = mm

Thank Rod.
    Ctl alt x opens a terminal window so I can edit files etc.

Cheers
    Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rodw View Post
    LINEAR_UNITS = mm

Not sure if you are correct Rod.

On my Tormach the ini file is all in inches and to make it work in metric you just use a G21 in the header file in the Gcode.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    Rod is correct.
    If after how to change the units that the configuration is defined in.
    Currently it is set to inches. That’s why all the configuration parameters for an axis is in inches as you have noted.
    If I change the units to MM, I can then change the parameters to metric equivalents.

In the end I think I’ll leave them in imperial and just put convert the ones I need to change from metric to imperial.

This has nothing to do with G20/G21.

My ballscrews are 5mm pitch. With the Gecko G540 10 micro stepping drive, resulting in 400 steps/mm. I’ll just convert this to imperial. 10160 steps/ inch, etc.

Cheers
    Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

I think it depends on whether you want to see inches or mm in your DRO's
    The setting I advised sets the device units for your machine (mm or inch).
    After that all other measurement related settings need to be changed.

And yes G20/G21 changes the dimensions used in the gcode.

You might also like to set RS274NGC_STARTUP_CODE in your ini file to meaningful defaults (like G20/G21) but this is no substitute for setting a preamble in your post processor as there is no guarantee a gcode file overwrites these settings
    Ref: INI Configuration

For me personally, I banned imperial units from my life here in Australia about 20 years ago so no machine of mine will use imperial units that are only used in 3 countries in the world...

Rod Webster
    www.vmn.com.au

Downloads
    Uploads

My next question is what configuration files are overwritten when PathPilot updates.
    Hopefully the files that define the axis speeds, steps per unit and the like are retained.

If not I guess I’ll need to save them and copy them back once an update is done.

Also are the base units for PathPilot fixed in imperial, or can I set it to metric. This is so I can use my current metric configuration values from my machine. I’m not talking about G20/G21 use in an initialization string or G code files.
    It’s not a big deal as I know how to divide by 25.4. PathPilot, Mesa 7I92H and Geckodrive G540

Cheers
    Peter

Pathpilot makes a lot of assumptions in its python code about the base units. I vaguely recall someone else try to change it as Rodw suggested and not succeeding. To display metric or inferial you need to use G20/G21 as needed. It changes display units, tool diameters etc. I think PathPilot remembers what you set G20/21 to so you need change it only once in the MDI. Editing the RS274NGC_STARTUP_CODE to add that is of course possible as well. Using G20/G21 does a lot more than inside the PathPilot pythoncode than you might think. A simple grep for 25.4 produces >190 hits so your decision to convert your machine paramters to imperial for the ini file is a wise one :-)

The configuration parameters in .ini files are always in inferial units in Pathpilot.

As far as updates, a new update installs all new files. The previous ones however are still there, under a directory with its version number. The latest/current version is linked to via ~/tmc

I made a twisty cable much like you did. With the 7i92 I use 1100-3 as the base machine, and edit only configs/tormach_mill/tormach_mill_base.ini. The standard bit file for that machine is loaded automatically into the 7i92.
    HI_RANGE_MIN and MAX (I have a 24k rpm spindle)
    STARTUP_DELAY as my spindle takes a while to get up to speed.
    for each Axis I edit SCALE, MAX_LIMIT, MIN_LIMIT as needed to match my machine.

When I update PathPilot, I do a diff between the new and previous tormach_mill_base.ini files and re-edit the new one. Because there are so few modifications it is not a big deal.

I'm glad you now have wifi, it means you can look at your files remotely via \\tormachpcnc (if using Windows, no idea how that works on Apple products)

Gerrit

KC1022/Sherline lathes, Atlas MF mill, Alexander 2CGD, Shop built gantry mill with PP, Nikon 6 Shadowgraph

Downloads
    Uploads

I agree with Gerrit. Just edit the configs/tormach_mill/tormach_mill_base.ini. There are too many links from python that I personally don't understand.

On my 1100-3 which use a mesa 5i25 i have fitted a 7i85 to the second port to enable me to have rigid tapping and 3 mpg's. which is setup in a custom hal file. (with help from others)

This makes it very easy to update with a crib sheet.

I have also built a 12 tool ATC using a control board and software from David Loomes

Downloads
    Uploads

I am running a Sieg X2 with Pathpilot on a Mesa 5i25 + Gecko G540 for years, its been running well.
    My update process is no as smooth as i would like it to be. But very manageable , just need to plan the down time and testing when it happens.

But long story short,
    - i copy the .bit file for the Gecko from the Mesa web site in the right folder.
    - i run a file compare on my tormach_mill_base.ini and the new updated version. ( main thing is to change the bit file for the new one... then travel limits and homing etc etc to match my machine spec's)
    - i run a file compare on my tormach_mill_mesa.hal and the new updated version ( main thing is to comment out some pins i dont use that cause PP to crash and homing sensor config is slightly different )

Wow Clive, You happy with the ATC ?

Don't know anything about the Metric side of things but the guy Threadexpress on YouTube seems to be running all his Pathpilot machine in Metric and it seems pretty straight forward.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Everyone,

Thanks very much for all your replies. I've been silent over the past week or so as I managed to contract Covid-19 after avoiding it for the past 2+ years. I'm on the mend now and over it after a couple of rough days with razor blades in my throat.
    I'm going to spend a little time to investigate just changing the config files and managing them when a PP2 update comes along as Nixxk is doing.
    Nixxk, are you able to share your ini and hal files along with any other files that you need to manage?

I understand that doing it all in software is going to create more work when updates come along, but it should be manageable, That said I've almost finished the design of a PCB to do a wiring change to limit any configuration changes.

Cheers,

Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Couple of things.
    You already did remove Pathpilot from the Linux Mint startup list ? ( i dont want PP to start right after the upgrade cause i have to modify the bit file thing if not it will put the 1100 bit file in my Mesa instead of the one for the Gecko)
    i have a usb wifi dongle on the pathpilot PC ( old core2duo) so i can share my Gcode folder so i can easly save the gcode from my win10 pc running fusion right into the controller.
    Same way i get a copy of my running "Config" and the new "config" and use Notepad++ with the compare plug-in to compare the new and old file.
    In the tormach_mill_base.ini file i modify : bit file, scale, Max_limit, Min_limit etc etc for every axis to match my machine specifics.
    PathPilot, Mesa 7I92H and Geckodrive G540-pathpilotcompare-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Nixxk View Post
    Couple of things.
    You already did remove Pathpilot from the Linux Mint startup list ? ( i dont want PP to start right after the upgrade cause i have to modify the bit file thing if not it will put the 1100 bit file in my Mesa instead of the one for the Gecko)
    i have a usb wifi dongle on the pathpilot PC ( old core2duo) so i can share my Gcode folder so i can easly save the gcode from my win10 pc running fusion right into the controller.
    Same way i get a copy of my running "Config" and the new "config" and use Notepad++ with the compare plug-in to compare the new and old file.
    In the tormach_mill_base.ini file i modify : bit file, scale, Max_limit, Min_limit etc etc for every axis to match my machine specifics.
    PathPilot, Mesa 7I92H and Geckodrive G540-pathpilotcompare-jpg
    I disabled the Pathpilot entry in the statup list. With that it doesn't automatically go in the desktop. I presume I also have to use the Shift+ Alt keys on bootup for that?

I edited the folllowing two files as I selected the series 3 1100 mill . I'm not sure why all 3 files have bit files defined. Presumably it has a sequence for selecting the one it uses.
    tormach_1100-3_7i92.ini
    tormach_1100-3_7i92_specific

I changed the bitfile name to
    [HOSTMOT2]
    DRIVER=hm2_eth
    BOARD=7i92
    DRIVER_PARAMS=board_ip=10.10.10.10 config="num_encoders=2 num_pwmgens=1 num_3pwmgens=0 num_stepgens=5"
    #BITFILE0=mesa/tormach_mill3_7i92.bit
    BITFILE0=mesa/7i92_G540x2D.bit
    DPLL_TIMER_NUMBER = 1
    DPLL_TIMER_US= -100

I haven't changed anything else yet in terms of setting up the axis parameters.

When I go to boot PP, I get an error. Looking at the log file it states.

2022-05-10 04:40:51.984293 | USBIO : HAL component starting [usbio.py:31]
    tormach_mill_mesa.hal:263: parameter or pin 'hm2_7i92.0.gpio.005.is_output' not found
    HALCMD ini file /home/operator/tmc/configs/tormach_mill/tormach_1100-3_7i92.ini load failed with config file tormach_mill_mesa.hal
    Shutting down and cleaning up LinuxCNC...

Makes sense as I haven't changed the .hal file. Presumably that's where the PP signals are tied to the appropriate G540 pins.

Do you have the tormach_mill_mesa.hal that you've modified to match the G540?

This is where the step and dir signals need to be swapped, and the spindle speed changed from step signal to a PWM signal.

I could work my way through it but a pre-modified file would be a great help.

Cheers,

Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Peter

When you get to the desktop, open a terminal and type /usr/bin/mate-panel
    Once the desktop is running, click on bottom left icon, select Preferences and then scroll to bottom and click on Startup Application Preferences.

In that list you checkmark Mate Panel, and uncheck Pathpilot. Furutre boots will start with a desktop. You will want to Create a Launcher by right click on the desktop, select Create Launcher. Name is Pathilop, Command is ./operator_login. This creates an icon on the desktop, you double click that to start Pathpilot.

The file 'tormach_1100-3_7i92.ini' is generated from the amalgamation of all relevant config files when Pathpilot starts up, near top of file is tells you that it is generated and not to edit it :-) the file gets overwritten on each start of Pathpilot anyway.

I can't help with the G540 hal stuff, I used the cable method for my PMDX-132 to avoid that learning experience :-)

Gerrit

KC1022/Sherline lathes, Atlas MF mill, Alexander 2CGD, Shop built gantry mill with PP, Nikon 6 Shadowgraph

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Gerrit,
    Thanks for that, it really helped. The PC now starts into the desktop and I can then launch PathPilot.

I’ve set the Gcode directory as a mapped drive on my windows pc so I can transfer Gcode across.
    I’ve also created a sub directory to keep any modified files in. I’m presuming that PathPilot doesn’t touch the Gcode directory during updates.
    Cheers
    Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is my ini and hal file if it helps

Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

I disabled the Pathpilot entry in the statup list. With that it doesn't automatically go in the desktop. I presume I also have to use the Shift+ Alt keys on bootup for that?

I edited the folllowing two files as I selected the series 3 1100 mill . I'm not sure why all 3 files have bit files defined. Presumably it has a sequence for selecting the one it uses.
    tormach_1100-3_7i92.ini
    tormach_1100-3_7i92_specific

I changed the bitfile name to
    [HOSTMOT2]
    DRIVER=hm2_eth
    BOARD=7i92
    DRIVER_PARAMS=board_ip=10.10.10.10 config="num_encoders=2 num_pwmgens=1 num_3pwmgens=0 num_stepgens=5"
    #BITFILE0=mesa/tormach_mill3_7i92.bit
    BITFILE0=mesa/7i92_G540x2D.bit
    DPLL_TIMER_NUMBER = 1
    DPLL_TIMER_US= -100

I haven't changed anything else yet in terms of setting up the axis parameters.

When I go to boot PP, I get an error. Looking at the log file it states.

2022-05-10 04:40:51.984293 | USBIO : HAL component starting [usbio.py:31]
    tormach_mill_mesa.hal:263: parameter or pin 'hm2_7i92.0.gpio.005.is_output' not found
    HALCMD ini file /home/operator/tmc/configs/tormach_mill/tormach_1100-3_7i92.ini load failed with config file tormach_mill_mesa.hal
    Shutting down and cleaning up LinuxCNC...

Makes sense as I haven't changed the .hal file. Presumably that's where the PP signals are tied to the appropriate G540 pins.

Do you have the tormach_mill_mesa.hal that you've modified to match the G540?

This is where the step and dir signals need to be swapped, and the spindle speed changed from step signal to a PWM signal.

I could work my way through it but a pre-modified file would be a great help.

Cheers,

Peter

On that , the way i get PP running and deal with the errors as soon as they come up .
    I run operator_login in terminal mode so i can see exactly what line that caused the issue... fix it and try again ...
    Most of the time its something in the hal that want to use something i am not using. so i comment it out and try again.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Nixxk View Post
    Here is my ini and hal file if it helps
    Thanks for that. I had a quick look and I think it will help a lot.
    Is the bit file BITFILE0=mesa/tormach_g540.bit a standard bit file or is it one that you created? The only G540 bit file is the one that Mesa provide with the 7i92 software. where can I get the g540 file you are using?

Cheers,

Peter

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast