Rapid Move Would Exceed Machine Position Limits in Z+

Thread: Rapid Move Would Exceed Machine Position Limits in Z+

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Rapid Move Would Exceed Machine Position Limits in Z+

Hello, I am an overall machining noob, but I am trying to machine this drawer bay. I have the x & y coordinates set to 0,0 for the back lefthand corner, but the Z coordinate has given me several issues. I am trying to set the WCS to the top of the board as well at (18mm,) but PathPilot is stating that the machine would move approximately 10mm out of the machining area. I don't know if the heights I have set for my functions have any correlation, but the Clearance Height in Fusion for my functions is set to 10mm above the board which is the same as the displaying error. If anyone has any advice that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rapid Move Would Exceed Machine Position Limits in Z+-fusion-heights-tab-png   Rapid Move Would Exceed Machine Position Limits in Z+-fusion-model-image-jpg   Rapid Move Would Exceed Machine Position Limits in Z+-pathpilot-error-10mm-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Rapid Move Would Exceed Machine Position Limits in Z+

Quote Originally Posted by ColbyGore View Post
    Hello, I am an overall machining noob, but I am trying to machine this drawer bay. I have the x & y coordinates set to 0,0 for the back lefthand corner, but the Z coordinate has given me several issues. I am trying to set the WCS to the top of the board as well at (18mm,) but PathPilot is stating that the machine would move approximately 10mm out of the machining area. I don't know if the heights I have set for my functions have any correlation, but the Clearance Height in Fusion for my functions is set to 10mm above the board which is the same as the displaying error. If anyone has any advice that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    What machine are you using? Did you set Z0 in Pathpilot or are you expecting Fusion to do that via WCS?, If so, it doesn't work that way. You have to set your G54 zero points (x,y & z) on the machine to match where you set the WCS to in Fusion on your stock.

Downloads
    Uploads

I am using a Tormach 24r. I have tried multiple way to set my G54 to the top of the stock in the PathPilot software, but it always displays that the machine would surpass the Z threshold. (The stock is 3/4in thick)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ColbyGore View Post
    I am using a Tormach 24r. I have tried multiple way to set my G54 to the top of the stock in the PathPilot software, but it always displays that the machine would surpass the Z threshold. (The stock is 3/4in thick)
    Even something like touching the cutter to the work and hitting Zero on the Z axis makes it do that? Can you jog it 10mm above the stock? If so, put up a copy of your G-code and we'll see what's going on there.

Downloads
    Uploads

The error you get is telling you that the move in Z will violate the softlimits in the Z+ direction (up) . Does the machine have home switches ?? Did you home the machine in Z? if so then you have a gcode problem. The CAM is posting moves that the machine cannot make.

(;-) TP

Downloads
    Uploads

I believe its as his machine setup, his z-axis is in home(light on button is on) G54 is set at zero in this position and his tool length is zero according to the pic.

Downloads
    Uploads

That light can be ON without it being homed correctly (;-) You can bypass the Switches(uncheck the limit switches) and home in place and THAT will throw everything out the window as far as machine positions. IF he has set the Zzero(G54) to the Home position so that machine Z zero and work Z zero are the same it will never work out as you would not be able to raise the spindle any higher. It will trip the Softlimit for Z.

The machine has to be homed to the switch and THEN you move down to the top of teh material to set G54 Work Zero for Z. IF that is the method you have choosen to use. THEN you look at the Gcode and see how far UP the Gcode is going to move you and that value HAS to be less than the distance of the softlimit value for Z+. Simple move the spindle UP to the Gcode value and see if it goes all the way up to that value without tripping the softlimit. IF it does you are good to go IF not then you have a Gcode problem.

(;-) TP

Downloads
    Uploads

As a noob I doubt that he has disabled his home switches. It is more likely that he hasn't set Z-zero to the top of his stock (or where his CAM thinks it is). Also, having a tool length of zero probably means that he hasn't correctly setup his tool offsets.

Downloads
    Uploads

You would be surprised at what all things a noobie will push and jiggle and wiggle trying to get the machine to work. (;-)

(;-) TP

Downloads
    Uploads

Perhaps! My usual assumption is that things didn't work and he is asking why. Looking at his screen snapshot having the machine homed *AND* all axis at zero and the tool length also zero is suspicious.

Downloads
    Uploads

Actually that looks normal (;-) IF you homed Z switched to G54 then moved down to the top of material and Set Z zero THAT is what it would look like. TO see how far offset you are go to the Offsets page and look at the G54 work offset value.

Just a thought, (;-) TP

Downloads
    Uploads

Agreed that it looks normal (other than the tool length).
    However, if z-zero is at the top of his stock then Z-limit exceeded would not be expected assuming good gcode.
    It would also be the state if he homed his axis and then zeroed them. The expected error would be Z-limit exceeded for that situation.

I hope that ColbyGore posts again so that we can stop guessing.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    What machine are you using? Did you set Z0 in Pathpilot or are you expecting Fusion to do that via WCS?, If so, it doesn't work that way. You have to set your G54 zero points (x,y & z) on the machine to match where you set the WCS to in Fusion on your stock.
    In the G54 set the Z to ( 0 ) then bring the tool number say it is tool T1 to the top of your work and set tool Offset. So G54 will be set for your Part X----- Y------ Position, the Z will be set at Z0.0

In your program if you have done it correctly the tool will come down to cut the part this will be a Z- move so look in your program for the Z moves, if you don't see a Z- move then you have it setup incorrectly in you 360 Program

Post your program, just paste it in a reply

Mactec54