conversational programming names

Thread: conversational programming names

Downloads
    Uploads

Default conversational programming names

It seems to me that on some of the screens, the default name stays with the operation and on other screens it updates to whatever the last program name was. For me if Drilling was always called "drill" and parting was always called "parting" for examples it would save some time building a program. Is that a thing that I should turn in as a request or am I doing something wrong? this is Lathe if that matters.

Similar Threads:
    -Jon
    instagram @hermit.shed

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: conversational programming names

I think Tormach Does not care anymore about the lathe anymore, just look at all the updates they do, it's just about the mills, never something about the lathe,

What about a DXF import for the lathe, asked about that for two years.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by maker of things View Post
    It seems to me that on some of the screens, the default name stays with the operation and on other screens it updates to whatever the last program name was. For me if Drilling was always called "drill" and parting was always called "parting" for examples it would save some time building a program. Is that a thing that I should turn in as a request or am I doing something wrong? this is Lathe if that matters.
    For some reason I thought it kept the name if you'd saved the op or changed from defaults, but otherwise didn't. Useful if you're tweaking on some code over and over, much less so if you have a stale name from weeks ago in there.

Downloads
    Uploads

If it's something you would like changed or at least looked at, I'd go ahead and post a query. I commented about really liking PathPilot as at the time I developed the routine in our house, dumped it on a jump drive, loaded on my 1100S3 and ran it. If it needed tweaks, I made them at the machine, copied the updated file on the jump drive and loaded the updated one back on our home computer. Also mentioned that it would be nice if the tool tables were transferable.

Tormach tech support got back with me right away and explained that tool table transfer was already there: Import and/or Export tool tables as a *.csv file from I think the OFFSETS tab.

I was running a DXF of the Marine Corp emblem for a memorial plaque for my dad a few years ago. The generated G-code did a spindle/coolant off command at the end of every block of engraving. Then moved to the start point of the next block, restarted the spindle and coolant, then dropped down in Z for the next block. The routine had over 500 start/stops of the spindle. I searched through in G-edit for the start/stops and made them comments as there's no reason to stop the spindle when moving from one block to the other. My manual editing cut the run time down by 30-40%. I sent a message to Tormach about the unnecessary start/stops and it was changed in the next update.

I've had nothing but positive experiences with their PathPilot team.

Bruce

Last edited by BGHansen; 06-24-2021 at 11:59 AM.

What version of Pathpilot are you on? I just tested this on my 15L and it follows the operation name on every screen (v2.7.1).

Downloads
    Uploads

I think what the OP is referring to is that the name for the step in the program will not stay as it was before hand. I have this issues as well.

If I'm setting up a program using tool #1 and am in the OD Turn tab, and name the first step "OD Turn", it will stay as that. Later on, if starting to setup another program and I click on the OD Turn tab, it might have "ID Threading" as the name.

A long time ago, probably over a year ago, I accidentally named a parting operation "PArt", with the capital "A". I'll still have that show up as a random name sometimes when building a program. Could be in the OD Turn tab, Threading tab, etc.

I've never used the tapping option in the Drill/Tap tab. It is hit or miss whether it will say drill when I click on that tab.

I also don't like the fact that when you change the feed in one tab, the next tab you click on will have that feed rate in it.